Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car wont start when cold. (procharger)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Car wont start when cold. (procharger)

ORIGINAL: jeostang

Hey man, I have the same problem. My car won't star below a certian temp. If you hold the gas pedal to the floor and start it I bet you it will start right up. As soon as it catches release the gas pedal so you don't over rev it. I've had to do this on other mod mustangs when they seem to be flooded. I believe holding the gas to the floor tells the PCM to cut fuel delivery to the engine. Give that I try and I bet it will start. I don't drive my car much in the winter but I pulled it out of the garage to wash it and had to perform this. Just remember to release the gas just before or right when its about to catch. My tuner said that this is a tuning issue with blown s197 cars. I'm going to take mine to him and leave it overnight when the temps get in the teens so he can tune it out.
Well the temps don't ever get in the teens here, but i've never had a problem starting my car even with temps in the high 20's/low 30's. I don't understand how it can be a tuning issue.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Moose -for some reason it is and I think the computers on these cars are a down fall in that regard and that regard only IMO. I am getting mine fixed again and it is the tune from what I can tell. I have to get it checked again as mine is doing it again but still starts. Sounds like running rich and flooding on start up and when cold for some reason! Later J
Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Moose -for some reason it is and I think the computers on these cars are a down fall in that regard and that regard only IMO. I am getting mine fixed again and it is the tune from what I can tell. I have to get it checked again as mine is doing it again but still starts. Sounds like running rich and flooding on start up and when cold for some reason! Later J
Did you have the stock whipple tune or a custom dyno tune?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Custom dyno tune! I have been talking with sawyer alot and he is helping me get this straightened out and PM him for the details! Seems to make sense and living in MI where it regularly gets below 20 degrees all winter. Good point though maybe I should just load the Whipple tune and see what happens? Makes sense as well and much easier than getting my tune right. I can load my tune for when over 30 degrees and that will usually happen after winter here and run the Whipple tune for the winter until I get her out of storage. I mean I only start it once a month and get her to operating temp and circulate fluids. I think I will give that a try! J
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

After working with my fuel pumps for a few weeks mine never chirp whenturned off. When I turn the key it does a quick shot of gas from the pumps you, I can also hearthe pumps running, youcan only hear it if you have the back seat cushion removed. No sound when I shut the pumps off.
You have the gt500 dual pumps? When I say turn off, i mean after the initial 5 seconds they run when the key is turned to the on position. After 5 seconds the pumps stop running until you start the car.
I have Ford GT dual pumps, one driver spliced with 2 pumps. When I said I can hear the pumpsI mean with the key turned on but the car not started, I canactually hear the buzzing from the pumps with my seat removed. Not them pumping just a buzzing that they are on.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i believe you have different injectors then
what the canned whipple tune is written
for

i would be interested to know if it can
start and how it runs

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Good point though maybe I should just load the Whipple tune and see what happens?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:50 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tlme2waste

My 2006stage one roush recently got a procharger installed. During cold mornings it wont start until it warms up in the day. I took it back to the raceshop to see if it was running rich or had any drastic problems. They looked at it and tuned it again and said they didnt see anything wrong. So the next day i monitored at what temperature it wouldnt/would start at. I tried starting it at 43, 45, 48 degrees and it wouldnt start. I came back when it was 51 degreesand it started perfectly. I doubt its the battery because it tries to start but just doesnt turn over, like its not getting any gas. I cant drive it in the mornings because im scared ill leave it stranded somewhere if it stays cold for that day. Any help would be appreciated.
When the car is first started your engine programming should be in the "Open Loop" (rich) and the spark advance should be pretty high, around 40 deg. Your engine may not be going into open loop in the mornings. If it were and the spark advance was there the engine would start.

The injectors do do not open immediately, this is due to the programming finding out how long it takes the front O2's to register a "lean" /"rich" signal. Guys running headers have this problem due to the O2 locations and their not heating up as quickly as they should.

Its a programming thing.

One way to nail it down for certain is to datalog the cars engine using a laptop, datalog software and tuning device.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:47 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT John

One way to nail it down for certain is to datalog the cars engine using a laptop, datalog software and tuning device.
Or you could buy an aeroforce gauge and see timing, open/closed loop. My car shows 40 degrees of timing when it first starts.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 AM
matyellott
1st Gear Member

I have alomst the exact same problem, I than a procharger intercooled system. This is the first winter I have had it and I haven't been able to start it for the last few days because it is 20 degrees in Denver. I was out of the country and coulden't start the car for a week and a half. When i came back it was so cold I get nothing. I got a new battery and everything. the engine sounds like it is trying to turn over, and it may actually start for a second or so then it just dies.