Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wont start, not battery!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 PM
acdc163
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wont start, not battery!

Nothing extra is feeding off the relay, bone stock. I better figure it out because I bought another fuse and it was $4.49[:@]
ORIGINAL: modaddict

ORIGINAL: hammeron

ok, my thought is:

if Fuse 4 keeps blowing, then either the relay is
not making good contact when it engages (arcing), or the
starter motor is drawing too much current (amperage).

also, like dex said, there could be a wiring problem.
Ditto. If it keeps blowing then it's either the relay is not making good contact or perhaps you have overloaded the relay. Do you have any other mods that are tied into that relay?

Example - on my car I had a similar issue and it turned out to be I had two many things feeding off of one relay and it fried it. I'd change a fuse and it would blow within 15 minutes. I took the fuse panel box a part and noticed the actual connectors were burned from the relay being overloaded. I ended up replacing the connecting circuit and then rewired another relay for a few of my things (spark-a-boost, intercooler pump, & radiator fans)

It was a PIA for a couple days for me to figure it out. You probably don't have it overloaded but I'm just throwing it out there. My guess is it is a simple matter of the relay not making full connection. (contact)
Old 01-22-2008, 08:07 PM
acdc163
2nd Gear Member

I just want to see if it is something simple that I can fix before I have to take a day off work to take it in for warrenty
ORIGINAL: Cobrakev

My guess is the starter is toast. It is shorting internally..
Old 01-23-2008, 03:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Looks like a day off work for a warranty job! get it looked into for safety sake....JMO J
Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Thankfully you have a manny and were able to push start it. It would have stunk if you were stranded waiting for Ford Roadside assist. Please share with us what caused it; this makes me nervous.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acdc163

Nothing extra is feeding off the relay, bone stock. I better figure it out because I bought another fuse and it was $4.49[:@]
ORIGINAL: modaddict

ORIGINAL: hammeron

ok, my thought is:

if Fuse 4 keeps blowing, then either the relay is
not making good contact when it engages (arcing), or the
starter motor is drawing too much current (amperage).

also, like dex said, there could be a wiring problem.
Ditto. If it keeps blowing then it's either the relay is not making good contact or perhaps you have overloaded the relay. Do you have any other mods that are tied into that relay?

Example - on my car I had a similar issue and it turned out to be I had two many things feeding off of one relay and it fried it. I'd change a fuse and it would blow within 15 minutes. I took the fuse panel box a part and noticed the actual connectors were burned from the relay being overloaded. I ended up replacing the connecting circuit and then rewired another relay for a few of my things (spark-a-boost, intercooler pump, & radiator fans)

It was a PIA for a couple days for me to figure it out. You probably don't have it overloaded but I'm just throwing it out there. My guess is it is a simple matter of the relay not making full connection. (contact)
That leaves the relay having a bad connection or the starter is overloading it IMO.

BTW: What friggin' fuses are you buying for 4.99 each?????
Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
acdc163
2nd Gear Member

I actually called Ford Roadside assist and they were on there way out before I got it started. Anyway, I called 2 local Ford dealerships and they both said It probably would not be covered because of supercharger. I asked them how a S/C effects the starter and their respnse was " all kinds of things could happen" So I dont know whats gonna happen, I'll let ya know.

Modaddict,30 amp fuses like the one that was in there it had one in the package for 4.49 + tax
ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

Thankfully you have a manny and were able to push start it. It would have stunk if you were stranded waiting for Ford Roadside assist. Please share with us what caused it; this makes me nervous.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

please don't accept the dealer's answer. Remember, dealers work from a strict set of guidelines in order to be reimbursed for labor by the manufacturer. Ask the service mgr of your dealer for the names, email addys and phone #s of the regional rep and regional office. Then begin making calls and emails. Do not be confrontational. Explain how you love your stang, how you are very active on mustang forums etc etc and would like to speak with an engineer who could possibly shed some light on how a s/c could affect a possible starter issue and any suggestions they have. offer that if you are satisfied that your warranty for this should be voided then you will accept that. But; also explain that you must be satisfied that the warranty should be voided and right now, you are not.

How many times have you heard "I'm sorry,i can't do that" from an employee of an insurance co. auto mfr etc?That is correct, they can't but there is someone that can,you just need to speak with someone with a higher pay grade; keep escalating until satisfied.

Godspeed
Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 AM
acdc163
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wont start, not battery! Found Problem

Well I found the problem, jacked up the car looked at the starter and found some kind of ground wire from the starter solinoid going up to top. On the way up I saw it right up against the air conditioning unit, the insulation wore off and was grounding on it! Posted a picture. If you can make it out, i'm pointing my finger at the wire. Moved it away, and it started right up, thanks modaddict, Hammeron , and everyone else. I really do appreciate it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51594/7A658142DBFB4F11B276B70267EA08BA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51594/993C1C4766AA4CDE8B0979ACC476455E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Wont start, not battery! Found Problem

Thanks for the update. I'm going to check my wires.

Well I found the problem, jacked up the car looked at the starter and found some kind of ground wire from the starter solinoid going up to top. On the way up I saw it right up against the air conditioning unit, the insulation wore off and was grounding on it! Posted a picture. If you can make it out, i'm pointing my finger at the wire. Moved it away, and it started right up, thanks modaddict, Hammeron , and everyone else. I really do appreciate it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/51594/7A658142DBFB4F11B276B70267EA08BA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51594/993C1C4766AA4CDE8B0979ACC476455E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I actually called Ford Roadside assist and they were on there way out before I got it started. Anyway, I called 2 local Ford dealerships and they both said It probably would not be covered because of supercharger. I asked them how a S/C effects the starter and their respnse was " all kinds of things could happen" So I dont know whats gonna happen, I'll let ya know.

Modaddict,30 amp fuses like the one that was in there it had one in the package for 4.49 + tax
ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

Typical Ford inserts it into anus and breaks it off reponse. I tell you, a mod, any mod will come back and haunt you come warranty time.

Quick Reply: Wont start, not battery!