Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

wat gauges for supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:56 PM
lorinczy07

Default wat gauges for supercharger

hey i just purchased a vortech non intercooled supercharger for my 06 mustang gt. i was wandering which gauges i should buy and were i can get them at . thanxs
Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: wat gauges for supercharger

my SC and gauges are going in right now, i got wideband A/F, mechanical boost, electric fuel pressure. you can get the gauges anywhere like lethal, jegs, etc, just depends what you like the looks of best. i also got the SOS pillar pod. also i got delayed bc i need an adapter for the fuel pressure gauge that taps into the fuel line. so if you do get fuel pressure gauge dont forget the adapter. i think those 3 gauges would be great for monitoring any SC.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:25 PM
lorinczy07

wats the difference between electrical and mechanical and which is better? and also for the air/fuel ratio wats the difference between wideband and short. thanxs man
Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

my SC and gauges are going in right now, i got wideband A/F, mechanical boost, electric fuel pressure. you can get the gauges anywhere like lethal, jegs, etc, just depends what you like the looks of best. i also got the SOS pillar pod. also i got delayed bc i need an adapter for the fuel pressure gauge that taps into the fuel line. so if you do get fuel pressure gauge dont forget the adapter. i think those 3 gauges would be great for monitoring any SC.
+1. I think the most important gauges you can buy are the wideband air/fuel and fuel pressure gauges. As for boost, who wants to be supercharged if you can't see how much boost you're pushing? Lol.

I have all autometer ultra-lite gauges and an SOS triple pillar pod.. Electric fuel pressure, electric boost, and wideband. I find electric boost is easier to run, because you don't have to push the nylon tubing through the firewall where it tends to kink.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:02 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lorinczy07

wats the difference between electrical and mechanical and which is better? and also for the air/fuel ratio wats the difference between wideband and short. thanxs man
i just went w/ what the installer said to get, its probly what he's used to running. all i know is eveyone says you gotta get the wideband a/f. and the fuel pressure needs to be electic if you want the gauge in the car, or if its mechanical it sits in the engine area.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:14 PM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

What about an Aeroforce gauge for A/F. You would think that using the factory O2 sensors has some advantages.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lorinczy07

Electrical is necessary for the fuel pressure gauge. Running a mechanical fuel pressure gauge in the cabin is a big no-no. As for boost, you could run the mechanical gauge (it's much cheaper), but I would recommend the electric so that you don't have to run the tubing through the firewall. A wideband gauge measures and displays your actual air/fuel ratio. Narrowband will only tell you if you are lean or rich, despite what some narrowband gauges claim.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:02 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Mechanical boost is better (in some ways) because it will respond to changes in boost more quickly. Also there is a cost benefit. Fuel and oil temp/pressure, etc, are good candidates for electric gauges because it allows you to keep fuel and oil outside of your cabin. As others said, narrowband A/F is relatively useless; you really need to go wideband.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
lorinczy07

hey guys thanxs for everything that helped out alot.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackBetty

Mechanical boost is better (in some ways) because it will respond to changes in boost more quickly.
I've heard this more than once while surfing mustangforums. I don't know where it originally started, but I can assure you, it's a myth. The sending unit used in an electric boost gauge is the exact same sensor found in the gauge housing in a mechanical boost gauge. The few feet of wiring between the electric sending unit and the actual gauge won't make a difference in response time. In fact, electricity travels faster than boost builds in the nylon tubing, so the electric gauge could actually be more responsive. In any case, the difference is negligible, and the only reason I could see for buying a mechanical boost gauge over electric would be cost.