Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone here with upgraded engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:06 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone here with upgraded engine?

No Flaming needed, but I do have a Valid question.
I am Supercharged.
470 rwhp 450 tq SAE.
OK my question is not about monster power as you can never have enough power but to the effect this guy said a day after day driver. At some point driving a 650-750 hp car will become a pain,(if it is your only transportation) don't you think??
I mean if us FI guys with 450-525 hp can blow the tires loose at free will, how is a 650 pluss car going to drive around in dayly traffic without spinning every where and if in traffic, will there be overheating issues? At some point IMO<< Wouldn't the FUN kinda leave and the dailey enjoyment go away to some point?
You just aren't going to hook up anywhere on the street with that much HP..... so in most cases having it doesn't mean using it and street red light runs, forget it. you will be going every where but forwardif you hit it at a red light LOL .
Again, No Flaming needed, But even I too am curious to when you loose yourself in power and the fun of our cars becomes more of a show car thing?? or 1 day or 2 driver.
I understand your post and I will address it but you really should have made another thread. This thread is about the OP asking about the best N/A power build for daily driving. The examples aI gave him will net nowhere near what you're talking about and were fine for a daily driven machine. 326ci n/a is going to be competitive to a GT500 without a blower...

I don't know where you got he was getting advice for monster builds other than the 1 or two posts that got off topic about my car.

However, to answer your questions...

Yes, you obviously give somethings away with crazy power levels but to say it can't be a daily driver is stupid and many many people think that way and is one of the main reasons why I am doing it...

No matter what you do to a car, you are still in control. If someone is the type of person that has no discipline and can't control themselves, then absolutely, a car with crazy power will kill them or someone else sure as sin.

The driver is in control. You don't 'have' to WOT when you begin driving the car. You can very easily slightly step on the gas and take off like every other normal person out there.

The only drawbacks to big power on the street are #1 heat and #2 when you can 'use' it. Once you figure out the heating solution (and their is always a solution to anything if you look hard enough) then it just comes down to when you can safely use your power.

Yes, I get guys all the time revving at me at a light and I have to laugh cause I can't even race a minivan. I go WOT from anything under a 45-50 roll - and like you said, I go everywhere but forward...lol

However, I can smoke just about anybody on the street without going WOT... Sure, they may get the jump on me from the dig cause I have to ease into my power, but believe me, it's not long until I'm waving 'by-by' as I zoom past.

It's all about control and discipline, and KNOWING your car and being comfortable and confident in your car and most importantly knowing and abiding by yours and the cars' limits.

I would not give up the feeling of having a 9 sec car on the street for anything. Usually, I never raxce anyone on the street anyway because I don't have to in order to feel good cause I don't 'think' I'm fast. Guys who 'think' they are fast always want to race. I 'KNOW' I am fast. There is a big difference and believe me, there's no better feeling driving around town 'knowing' you are fast. And if it is safe and the right circumstance, there is nothing more enjoyable than nodding to a Z06 from a 50 roll on the freeway and then leaving him in the dust...lol

In all seriousness, your question is very valid and it's not as easy as people think to have 650+ on the street. Aside form the discipline of driving, it takes a lot of technical crap to make the car actually work and not have problems (especially with heat). The daily driving aspect of my builds on this car have always been the toughest, no doubt about it. But - it can be done and it is awesome if you are willing to spend what it takes to make it happen...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

You need to control the car as Mark said, don't let the car control you !

Its like any other car, if you drive conciously then I dont see any problem at all, if you're driving like an idiot, you can get killed even in a 100hp car ... dont really need a track monster to get killed.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:14 PM
TASSY5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: modaddict

No Flaming needed, but I do have a Valid question.
I am Supercharged.
470 rwhp 450 tq SAE.
OK my question is not about monster power as you can never have enough power but to the effect this guy said a day after day driver. At some point driving a 650-750 hp car will become a pain,(if it is your only transportation) don't you think??
I mean if us FI guys with 450-525 hp can blow the tires loose at free will, how is a 650 pluss car going to drive around in dayly traffic without spinning every where and if in traffic, will there be overheating issues? At some point IMO<< Wouldn't the FUN kinda leave and the dailey enjoyment go away to some point?
You just aren't going to hook up anywhere on the street with that much HP..... so in most cases having it doesn't mean using it and street red light runs, forget it. you will be going every where but forwardif you hit it at a red light LOL .
Again, No Flaming needed, But even I too am curious to when you loose yourself in power and the fun of our cars becomes more of a show car thing?? or 1 day or 2 driver.
I understand your post and I will address it but you really should have made another thread. This thread is about the OP asking about the best N/A power build for daily driving. The examples aI gave him will net nowhere near what you're talking about and were fine for a daily driven machine. 326ci n/a is going to be competitive to a GT500 without a blower...

I don't know where you got he was getting advice for monster builds other than the 1 or two posts that got off topic about my car.

However, to answer your questions...

Yes, you obviously give somethings away with crazy power levels but to say it can't be a daily driver is stupid and many many people think that way and is one of the main reasons why I am doing it...

No matter what you do to a car, you are still in control. If someone is the type of person that has no discipline and can't control themselves, then absolutely, a car with crazy power will kill them or someone else sure as sin.

The driver is in control. You don't 'have' to WOT when you begin driving the car. You can very easily slightly step on the gas and take off like every other normal person out there.

The only drawbacks to big power on the street are #1 heat and #2 when you can 'use' it. Once you figure out the heating solution (and their is always a solution to anything if you look hard enough) then it just comes down to when you can safely use your power.

Yes, I get guys all the time revving at me at a light and I have to laugh cause I can't even race a minivan. I go WOT from anything under a 45-50 roll - and like you said, I go everywhere but forward...lol

However, I can smoke just about anybody on the street without going WOT... Sure, they may get the jump on me from the dig cause I have to ease into my power, but believe me, it's not long until I'm waving 'by-by' as I zoom past.

It's all about control and discipline, and KNOWING your car and being comfortable and confident in your car and most importantly knowing and abiding by yours and the cars' limits.

I would not give up the feeling of having a 9 sec car on the street for anything. Usually, I never raxce anyone on the street anyway because I don't have to in order to feel good cause I don't 'think' I'm fast. Guys who 'think' they are fast always want to race. I 'KNOW' I am fast. There is a big difference and believe me, there's no better feeling driving around town 'knowing' you are fast. And if it is safe and the right circumstance, there is nothing more enjoyable than nodding to a Z06 from a 50 roll on the freeway and then leaving him in the dust...lol

In all seriousness, your question is very valid and it's not as easy as people think to have 650+ on the street. Aside form the discipline of driving, it takes a lot of technical crap to make the car actually work and not have problems (especially with heat). The daily driving aspect of my builds on this car have always been the toughest, no doubt about it. But - it can be done and it is awesome if you are willing to spend what it takes to make it happen...
Thanks for the info. I had no intention of bashing your post. So don't get it wrong.
And maybe you are right I should have started another post asking this question.
Keep up the good info you provied to this forum, it is well respected and we do all appreciate your posts.
Respectfully.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I took no offense and like I said it was actually a good question I was only confused on how it related to the advice I was giving the OP.

But it is a very serious thing to consider and that's why I started the 'what does it REALLY take to have a 650+ rwhp daily driver' thread in the first place cause it is not a simple matter of just making the power.

Making it reliable in traffic is a bitch. For example, on my car I have 2 trans coolers, 1 diesel, and 1 with a fanpack on all the time with a a custom trans pan to hold as much fluid as possible. I also have a 12 gallon intercooler resevoir, I also have a flyidyne radiator, 8 qt oil pan, oil squirters in my motor, my fans are on 24/7, I have a ram air hood, EH20 Pump, etc. etc. All of this is to make it streetable in so cal weather.

So you are 100% correct that you have a lot of concerns with making big power streetable. This is the reason 99.% of 9 sec and faster cars are trailer cars...
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 PM
majinprodigy
3rd Gear Member

MODADDICT i highly appriciate of your info you've add as well as everyone else that replied, thanks guy =)

question for you then, what is more cost effective? a big bore engine with that cam/spring pack or modding up the 4.6L intoa stroker w/ forged internals. (the reason i mention forged is because i hit redline... quite a bit... for DD my car i usually go all out 1-3st gear 3 times a week? usually freeway entrances (from a red stop light through turn them WOT a fewmoments before apex then top off around 80)

as far as cooling goes, i have thought of thathence the reason idont push thecar THAT HARD, THAT OFTEN, BUT that being said, i drive around alot lately (around 50 miles a day). you think either ofthose engines would have a problem with muchnormal driving?
next issue,as id like this car to be a DD, idalso like it to be running 12's all day long. im not saying 12.2 or anything but for its mods i want it to be able to stay 13.0, 12.9 range. is that possible?
again im notlooking for a blower, i just want engine only, i have a very delicate foot with a clutch and i could only imagine how that would translateminus 1 pedalgoingto an AT.
or am i barking up the wrong tree with this and should go toward LS3 route?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

Well 12s aren't very hard to get out of these cars... if you want a solid mid to high 12 second car, I would just go with bolt-ons and some drag radials.