Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TCI AUTO SHIFTER

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:12 AM
cougarfan088
2nd Gear Member

but how come you are ratcheting through only 3 gears and not all 5?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:26 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cougarfan088
but how come you are ratcheting through only 3 gears and not all 5?
1 = 1 - Ratchet
2 = 2 - Ratchet
3 = 3 - Ratchet
D = 4 - Ratchet
O/D Button = 5

Tim

Last edited by tdbrown75; 12-22-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Awesome. I REALLY look forward to your write up and your impressions. I would love to get a ratchet shifter.

I was hoping to wait until B&M came out with theirs but I'm not so sure about that any more.

I only wish the handle you pull on to move the shifter between P,R,N was smaller. Oh well, still very cool!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Also, which side is the O/D button on? I'm hoping it's on the left instead of the right. That would make it easier to press.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:38 PM
westrajoe

Love it. How does the install rank in terms of degree of difficulty?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:11 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I like their original concept with the scissor handle like rachet right about the shifter.. would be alot easier to lift up. Sure they changed it for a reason though.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I like their original concept with the scissor handle like rachet right about the shifter.. would be alot easier to lift up. Sure they changed it for a reason though.

I agree I like that part better on the old style as well.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Someone just needs to make a frickin replacement for the stock one... a simple replacement for $200 and not some over engineered chunk of metal..
Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

It kind of sucks how there's a lot of different options for shifters for manuals, but us autos get the shaft. Right now there's only one option and it's expensive. Looks good though (even though I hope there's an option at some point to switch to the scissor handle looking thing).
Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

I received the shifter yesterday evening, here are my first impressions.

First off the quality is absolutely top notch, it’s an OEM (better actually) quality part. It has a solid feel and looks absolutely fantastic. From the real leather boot to the billet handle, this is going to grab some attention at shows. Also, the handle is removable. I’m not sure if it’s the same as the standard shift ball thread (looks like it is) so there might be other options in terms of appearance.

Upon close inspection you can see why it costs $450. This is a complex in intricate part which mixes old school ratchet style shifting with modern conveniences and style, just like our Mustangs. One of the neatest things is the OD button. After all the drama about which side of the handle it’s on, I can report to you it’s neither! See the O/D button above park, that’s not a light up indicator, it’s the O/D button itself. It’s one of those neat flush mount contact style button like the ones used on electronics. I also heard the lighting indicator is done with LEDs, but I can’t confirm that yet. The handle is just a handle; those are not buttons at all.

Now the action... Yes, it ratchets both up and down. The term “ratcheting” is a little odd cause it’s more of a push to shift type arrangement. You pull the lever down into drive, and then “tap” it up and down in gears. What do they call that style shifter, tiptronic or something like that? A slight pull (no buttons) up or down is all that required and the handle springs back into place. It does not actually change position between shifts. You can’t get into N, R, or P without pulling the lever, and you don’t need to do anything but pull up or down to shift between 1-4. I’ll get a video up here next weekend so you can see what I mean.

The installation looks like cake with one caveat. You have to attach the linkage from the underside of the car. I’m calling in some favors to see if I can get access to a lift, because it does not look like a fun job on your back under jack stands. Hopefully I can find someplace I can stand and do it this weekend, we will see.

Anyway, here is a teaser PIC. I’m thrilled I have this thing and can’t wait to get it in my car. I bet it’s going to work as well as it looks. I’d get my order into Doug now to get on the list!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails  TCI AUTO SHIFTER-dsc02994.jpg  

Quick Reply: TCI AUTO SHIFTER