Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

All Things Shorty Headers - brands, heat, cost, other . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: All Things Shorty Headers - brands, heat, cost, other . . .

Simon1,

How were the gains/results with the JBA headers? What other bolt ons are you running? How long have you had the shorties on for? Problems?

Also, how much did you spend on the JBA shorty headers?
Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 PM
kcmarti
2nd Gear Member

I never had before/after dyno's done, but the seat-of-the-pants feel let me know that there was more low/mid-range torque after the JBA shorty install. I put mine on with around 11K on the odometer, I am now at 71K. I have had absolutely no problems with the headers.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

In your opinion, is $1k worth(parts+install) JBA ceramic coated shorties and the midrange added 10 rhp/rtq?

While you feel a $1k difference in the performance of the vehicle during spirited dd'ing?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

If you want to get headers, spring the few bucks more for the ceramic coating. Dont cheap out on this. They will last longer, look better, and keep down the temps.

Easiest install would be FRPP shorties. You wont have to lift the engine for those. But they are not made as well as others. Flange is half the thickness of BBK.

$1000 seems pretty steep for parts and install. Unless you are very comfortable with you quoted you that, and would trust them with your life, look around some more. I know I'd do it for less than that if you brought it to my shop.4.7 hrs labor time (according to AllData labor guide) at $82 is $410. That should be average.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kcmarti

I never had before/after dyno's done, but the seat-of-the-pants feel let me know that there was more low/mid-range torque after the JBA shorty install. I put mine on with around 11K on the odometer, I am now at 71K. I have had absolutely no problems with the headers.
I put my BBK's on around 11K as well, and now pushing 20K, and I agree 100%. No problems at all with them. Low and mid range is amazing with the gains they provide. I have the stainless and the underhood temps are not that much different than a friends car who has coated BBK's. a couple of degree's here and there, but nothing I worry about.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:44 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

OK, PLEASE ADVISE:

I am not concerned with having shiny chromed out headers and am comfortable with a low profile look.

Instead of buying shorty ceramic coated headers, would you think the following would work well:

Ordering a pair of good quality 304 s/s shorty headers, like BBKs or (YOUR RECOMENDATIONS HERE) and spraying them with several coats of high temp blk paint or (YOUR RECOMENDATION HERE). Would this significantly decrease heat soak/engine bay temps????

OR
[/align]
In addition to painting/coating them, wrapping them with header wrap. Would this significantly decrease heat soak/engine bay temps????

The reason I don't mind a black painted or wrapped finish is because I think it would have a better chance of being overlooked during a CA SMOG/5.0 inspection. Keep'n it low profile with the added gains is fine by me, as I am buying for the go, not the show.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:36 AM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Had JBA shorty headers installed. The car sounds soooo great with the full exhaust. raised the sound level by roughly 5 decibels but the tone sounds very clean and aggressive. Torque after 3K rpm is excellent (for bolt on accessory) and the throttle is definitely more responsive.

Ceramic coated headers look clean in the engine bay, no exhaust leaks, very happy with the purchase and installation!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:29 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Had JBA shorty headers installed
Magnaflow exhaust with SLP catback system
I don't understand what this means in your sig..