Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New 05 GT mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:47 PM
OkieNGa
1st Gear Member

Default New 05 GT mods

All,
1st, I am new to the mustang world as I just picked up my first about 5 days ago. Now that I have it, I want more horsepower, but who amongst us doesn't? Well here is what I am lookin at slapping on my Legend Lime stang:

Shorty Headers from Ford racing
JTL CAI with their XCaliber SCT-9300 flash
SHM Underdrive Pulley Kit

I am thinking that with these mods I should be able to get roughly another 50 horse, any thoughts from you wiley veterans out there?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:56 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New 05 GT mods

i seriously doubt that those mods are gonna give you 50 horses man. I talked to some different people about the headers and everybody seems to be in tune with telling me that the shorty headers are only putting out around 5-7HP (go with long tube 15-20HP). The underdrive pulleys are around 8HP, and the CAI w/SCT is about 26HP...so on a perfect day in the middle of winter, you are gonna get maybe 40HP with those mods. That is a good start though and you will definately feel the difference with the CIA/SCT and the underdrive pulleys by themselves.

Good luck with everything, the 05 aftermarket world is growing fast...lots of decisions[sm=gears.gif]
Old 04-18-2005, 06:37 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

I bought the JLT CAI and the SHM underdrive pulleys as well. I will be adding those after the SCT xcalibrator arrives this week (hopefully). Following the baseline dyno, the mods added, and then another dyno, I will let you know where I am at on the GT and you can make the call from there. Should be in about a week or so that they will be done. It all hinges on the SCT getting here.

Headers: most here say that the cost:hp gains are not worth it. If you have the money, it would best be used elsewhere (e.g., gears).
Old 04-19-2005, 10:58 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GWFoos

Headers: most here say that the cost:hp gains are not worth it. If you have the money, it would best be used elsewhere (e.g., gears).
That may be true for a NA stock (or near-stock) engine. On the other hand, for those of us planning to add a blower, I would think upgrading the exhaust would be almost mandatory to let the S/C breathe.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:55 AM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

I agree that exhaust would be almost a necessity IF you were going to get the blower, but this person isn't going that route yet and there really is no hp gains to be had with the exhaust systems out presently due to the good job Ford did with the present exhaust.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

OkieNGa

I seriously doubt your going to get THAT much of an increase in horsepower with just those modifications. It will take a bit more effort and money then that. As some of the other responses to your post said - Your biggest gain with be with adding a turbocharger or supercharger along with improving the exhaust.

Now… if you REALLY want power…. Take your car to your local speed shop, have them Balance, Blueprint, Bore and Stroke the engine Upgrade Pistons, Crank and lifters and Heads. Install a Direct Induction Supercharger and 3†exhaust. Of course, the problem with that is then you will have to replace the Clutch, Transmission, Drive Shaft, Rear Axel and Rear Suspension to handle the extra 200 horsepower you just added.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:07 PM
OkieNGa
1st Gear Member

Well, in about a year or so I will be adding a supercharger, the plans are for this supercharger, but that is tentative.

My question is this, if I go with the long headers, how difficult are they to install? I know on some engines that requires movin your cat and O2 sensors, what about on the 05? Anyone know?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:13 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OkieNGa
Shorty Headers from Ford racing
JTL CAI with their XCaliber SCT-9300 flash
SHM Underdrive Pulley Kit
You're not going to get +50hp from those mods. Shorty headers are not really worth it, you'll only gain a couple HP. The factory headers are actually very well designed, the only headers that will give any significant benefit are long tube. I wouldn't bother with shorty headers. The intake and tuner you chose are both great. I would get a Steeda UDP.

Between intake, tune, and UDP; you'll probably gain about 35-40hp.