Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

shorties with whipple

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
tached_out
1st Gear Member

Default RE: shorties with whipple

Shorty's are cool to get but I dont think they are worth the price of labor and power output. THere will be very minimal gains from it but they look cool under the hood.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:50 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I need to find the webpage that did the comparison I talked about b/c I'm pretty sure the lowend/midrange gains the shorties gave were quite significant.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

After all this time, I still can't believe people are regurgitating the crap that they heard from someone who was told buy a guy who once knew someone who had a buddy that had a set of shorties and they lost power... Even with all the members her reporting otherwise. Right now, I am calling out all the Shortie Nay-sayers... find me one S197 owner who has put a set of shorties on their car that says they lost or only gained a tiny amountof power. I dare you... I garentee you, every one of you who say Shorties make no power have never even ridden in a car with shorties. And to even hint that Shorties don't flow any better than a stock log style manifold??? Have you ever even looked at a pic of the manifold compared to ANY shortie header?

Shorties will not really have much of an effect on your AFR's. You may see it drop .1 or so at most, but 99% of what will happen is inside the ability of the O2 sensors to control and compensate, even with the blower. You will notice less boost being made however, due to better flow, reduced backpressureand increased scavenging. Overall, you will net more power tho, so I wouldn't worry.

Longtube headers DO need a tune due to the relocation or deletion of the rear (and sometimes front) O2 sensors. You have to update the switching speeds. End of dicussion.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one who believes in shorties.

Also, there was a thread on here a while back were someone got some BBK tuned shorties and had nothing but GREAT things to say about them. Made a lot of people (including me as I got caught in the LT good short bad non-sense) re-think the shorties.

EDIT:

Here's the thread I was talking about: https://mustangforums.com/m_4785775/...tm.htm#4785775

I still can't find that dang webpage that compared LT and shorts. It was very informative on the power differences between the two. ARG!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Oh of course. The webpage I was talking about is linked to in the 2nd page of the BKK shorty post I previously posted.

Here it is again: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html
Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 AM
tached_out
1st Gear Member

well I personally never said no gains so I dont think this was directed towards my self.

But the gains are very small for what they are worth. My buddy mike has a 06 GT with a roush blower making 8psi which pulled 450ish to the wheels. Its been a couple years so I can not remember the exact numbers so I apoligize for that.

With his stock H pipe w/gutted out cat's and JBA Shorty Headers he picked up right around 12 rwhp. His torque gain was not as high as 12 but there was no lose for either sides.

I am not sure if the cost of labor is the same for shorties as LT's are but I would not pay for 7 or so hours of labor for 12 hp, unless its a show car and you want some bling.

Now if you are installing them your self then sure why not but I think the cost of the mod out weights the out put of what it gives you (that is of course I am assuming the price to install shortys is the same at LT's)

I made some big power with the stock manifolds 545rwhp to be exact. They did the job right for the time being.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 AM
tached_out
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

Oh of course. The webpage I was talking about is linked to in the 2nd page of the BKK shorty post I previously posted.

Here it is again: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html
You meant BBK right? I would stay away from BBK though. A few of my friends have ran there stuff and with them being mild grade steal you have to get the jet hotcoated to prevent rust and all the sets my mechanic has installed he has had to do some addition cleaing of sloppy welds on the inside of the headers. That caused them to be restrictive.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

Is there a difference in sound with the bbk shorties? I am running the pypes mid muffler and prochamber with stock cats. I am going to put highflow cats on later but would like to put some shorties on to hopefully make it a little louder.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 AM
tached_out
1st Gear Member

Not so much with the shorty's your sound is going to come more from your mid pipe on what type of cat's you are running.

If you want a loud car get an O/R pipe or just do an electronic cut out before the cats.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:47 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

No more offroad pipes for me, I think shorties and highflow cats should put it where I want it.