Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Where to Buy Mac CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Baby John

Default RE: Where to Buy Mac CAI?

Is this the JLT CAI that I need?

And will the Predator programmer with Bama tune work with it?

http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/in...eb093e148b12e3
Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

The JLT is a great intake. If the long rubbery hose connected with the filter is what you were referring to than yes that's the inlet pipe. If the small metallic item btwn that hose and the intake manifold(plenum) is what you were looking at Thats the TB(throttle body). As far as Bama the reason I suggested them is b/c they work with diablosport and from what I've heard run some really great tunes. I personally run Brenspeed but but they tune with SCT. Either way you can't go wrong.
I would buy the JLT from brenspeed b/c their price is $195 and free shipping. But w/e works best for you.
Lastly just wanna say the JLT is arguably one of the best one's out there and with it, and a custom tune you wont be dissapointed!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

OK..there's quite a bit of wrong information here.. so let me start from the beginning...

The car is your Wifes and you drive it occasionally. Your starting with a K&N and a canned Diablo tune and your looking to upgrade... Your looking for a MAC CAI or a JLTII. A third option your looking into is just getting a tune for the K&N. Now..assuming all these are right...

One area that most people confuse is the horsepower gains from a CAI and tune combo. Most mistakenly think that the bulk of the gains are from the CAI, which is exactly the opposite of how it really is. Most CAI's are going to make between 10 to 15 horsepower and torque, with the lower end of the scale going to the No-tune style intakes and going up from there. Alot of the gain is going to come from MAF size for the CAI. The MAF is usually the most restricive point in the intake, so the more it can move, the more the whole CAI will move. The larger the MAF the more air it can move into the engine, and more air=more burnt fuel=more power... but as I said before, really, the difference between them is about 5 to 7 horsepower... some designs will tend to bias more towards high end power or low end torque, due to changes in the way the intake moves the air, but all will be close..

Now, your probably asking, why then do I need a tune for these intakes? Well, the answer to that is, is that the most basic function of the tune for the intakes is to update what is called the MAF Transfer function for the new MAF. The MAF Transfer function is basically a chart that tells the computer that when the MAf is drawing X amount of volts, it's flowing Y amount of air. By changing the size of the MAF, The sensor reading will be off unless we re-calibrate this chart to account for the fact that the MAF is now moving more air. There is absolutely no gain in HP from recalibrating this chart at all. None...Zero..zilch..nada... you get the point Where the gains come from in the tune is in the timing adjustmnents and fueling adjustments and cam Phasing changes and so on that the tuner also performs.This is where a good tuner can make you money... usually at least as much as you gained from the CAI itself, and likely even more.

So, having said that... I would suggest you keep the K&N and get a mailorder tune. It doesn't sound like your concerned about getting every last possible horsepower out of this car, just sounds like your looking for a little more bang for the buck. Really, is 5 horsepower worth $300 to you? Thats all you would end up gettingwith a JLT and amail order tune over your K&N with a mail order tune. I am not sure if Brenspeed can, but I think Doug from B a m a can write a Diablo tune, but check into them both, as well as anyone else you might want to look at. Take the $300 you were going to spend on the CAI and maybe put it into something else...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Baby John

Well, I guess I should learn to be a little more patient. Yesterday, I ordered the new JLT intake, and today I was planning on contacting Bama Chips to order a tune for it.

Still a little confused how I get the tune onto the Diablo though.

Somewhere I picked up that the program or file is simply emailed to you but I'm beginning to think this is incorrect. I'm now hoping that I simply log onto Bama's website and download the program onto my laptops hard drive.

The Diablo came with a couple cables supposedly to connect to the laptop for this purpose. I think I can figure it out. I'll probably call Bama today and see what I can pull together.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 AM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baby John

Well, I guess I should learn to be a little more patient. Yesterday, I ordered the new JLT intake, and today I was planning on contacting Bama Chips to order a tune for it.

Still a little confused how I get the tune onto the Diablo though.

Somewhere I picked up that the program or file is simply emailed to you but I'm beginning to think this is incorrect. I'm now hoping that I simply log onto Bama's website and download the program onto my laptops hard drive.

The Diablo came with a couple cables supposedly to connect to the laptop for this purpose. I think I can figure it out. I'll probably call Bama today and see what I can pull together.
I can't speak for the diablo, but the SCT units connect to a computer via a USB port and you use the software that comes with the tuner (for the computer) to copy the tune file from the computer to the tuner unit. I would assume the diablo uses much the same concept, though I don't know what software they require.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Baby John

Well....an update on the tuning.

I ordered the JLT CAI and yesterday I ordered a 3 tune combo from Bamachips.com.

I got the 87 Octane Performance Tune; A 91 Octane Torque Tune; and a 93 Octane Race Tune.

Should be emailing it to me soon.

I've gone to Diablo's website and downloaded the DS Download program, and I have the required cables to connect to my laptop.

Just waiting on the JLT to arrive on May 5, and waiting on the email tune from Bama.

From reading other posts, it sounds like this is a pretty good combo. I'll probably install the 87 Performance tune for my wife, and occasionally swap to the 93 Race tune just to see what happens.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:37 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

You will not be dissapointed

-Scott