Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang GT Saleen Series VI Inlet Tube Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 AM
paulboy

Default Mustang GT Saleen Series VI Inlet Tube Options

Hey Everyone, quick question... just bought a Saleen blower for my '07 GT and am wondering what CAI and inlet tube I can use for it. I have a K&N Short Ram Intake(Typhoon)... will that fit with the new blower? I see lots of Extreme Inlet Tubes and saw the carbon fiber one that someone on here installed, butdidn't have much luckwith. I read that C&L has a goodinlet tube, butyou need to buy the motor mounts if u want to install it.Any recommendations? Can I use what I have,do I need to get an Extreme Inlet Tube or should I lower go the motor mountdirection and go with theC&L? Any input is appreciated. Thanks and have a great nite!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:14 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT Saleen Series VI Inlet Tube Options

I did first Saleen Inlet tube to steeda maf and steeda filter, then went with lowering mounts with a carbon fiber inlet tube with Steeda's MAF and Filter. The carbon fiber tube did have issues but steeda is going to replace it. I went with the carbonfiber since it was carbon fiber. In a couple weeks there will be a 3d cai I will post about.My understandings is youneed to use the lowering mounts if you use anything besides the saleen inlet tube. Of course people did get other tubesto work without mountsbut Steeda andJDM both say nothing will work but saleen.

Don't forget all these new CAI's do need a retune to work correctly.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:37 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

I did first Saleen Inlet tube to steeda maf and steeda filter, then went with lowering mounts with a carbon fiber inlet tube with Steeda's MAF and Filter. The carbon fiber tube did have issues but steeda is going to replace it. I went with the carbonfiber since it was carbon fiber. In a couple weeks there will be a 3d cai I will post about.My understandings is youneed to use the lowering mounts if you use anything besides the saleen inlet tube. Of course people did get other tubesto work without mountsbut Steeda andJDM both say nothing will work but saleen.

Don't forget all these new CAI's do need a retune to work correctly.
when i bought mine JIM III (JDM) advised me that the C+L street intake would work and it did. However, I did not feel comfortable having such a rigid aluminum tube touching the alternator the way it did,with the new alternator position and wiring etc....so I ultimately went with the saleen extreme inlet tube. I have read and seen many cars with other inlets and intakes work just fine...but for me I was not comfortable to go with them...by the way,,,my setup was the saleen extreme inlet to lightning 90mm maf and c+L conical filter with heat shroud off of the c+l street intake kit I had.....but thats just me....
Old 05-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Wanderlai
1st Gear Member

I think it was Steve at Brenspeed, that told me a couple of days ago that they do not use motor mounts on their Saleen packages because they cause to much vibration and that they have no clearance issues with the Steeda cold air kit they use. Now the folks at Fastlane Motorsports where I'm having my Saleen SC and Stage 3 kit installed said I'd need motor mounts.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:09 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I have no vibration from my motor mounts. From my long tube headers yes motor mounts no.

JDM told me no along with steeda many months ago. I guess it just goes to show you, do what you want because everyone has a different answer.

Whatever you decide to do keep an eye on your alternator wire or this could happen to you. This was caused by the saleen inlet tube with lowering motor mounts.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:15 PM
paulboy

thanks for the replies... guess i'll keep doing some research on it while i'm waiting on some parts.. should be doing the install next week, so i'll let you know how it turns out. appreciate the insights..
Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wanderlai

I think it was Steve at Brenspeed, that told me a couple of days ago that they do not use motor mounts on their Saleen packages because they cause to much vibration and that they have no clearance issues with the Steeda cold air kit they use. Now the folks at Fastlane Motorsports where I'm having my Saleen SC and Stage 3 kit installed said I'd need motor mounts.
Firstly, there is no Steve at Brenspeed. There's Seth, Dave, Brent, and Brent's wife (Karen, I think).

Secondly, the reason they tell you there's no clearance issue with the Steeda kit is because they use the factory inlet tube, not the Steeda inlet tube. But the factory inlet tube like like a monkey ****ing a football, which is why most of us upgraded to the Saleen Extreme inlet.

+1 on the alternator wiring problem. Mine was cooked up good too. Not quite as bad as that picture, but bad, nonetheless.

HTH, YMMV, all that ****.