Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:45 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!

I have heard too many stories (especially recently) of people blowing their stock engines b/c of their FI device. To me it's just way to risky for a DD to boost on a stock engine. Now I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I personally am not going to take the chance. It has been very tempting for me though I won't deny that.

For my GT, all I want is to increase it by 100HP (that has always been my main goal from the start) and I want to do it NA. Brenspeed has done it with parts on their site so I know it's possible and not that hard (except for the Comp Cam stage 3's install). Having 100HP over stock and staying NA will be safer than 100HP over from boost since it's the boost that kills from what I understand.

I'll just wait until I get a GT500 to run a s/c (which it already comes with).
Old 05-09-2008, 06:50 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

It's all in the tune my friend, not everyone can tune these cars...

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

I have heard too many stories (especially recently) of people blowing their stock engines b/c of their FI device. To me it's just way to risky for a DD to boost on a stock engine. Now I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I personally am not going to take the chance. It has been very tempting for me though I won't deny that.

For my GT, all I want is to increase it by 100HP (that has always been my main goal from the start) and I want to do it NA. Brenspeed has done it with parts on their site so I know it's possible and not that hard (except for the Comp Cam stage 3's install). Having 100HP over stock and staying NA will be safer than 100HP over from boost since it's the boost that kills from what I understand.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i think there is some logic to that argument, but only time will tell. in the meantime my HO has 3 tunes, on the street i run the tune that keeps my power at about 430 and if it blows, i got another car to drive me to work and some $$ saved for engine upgrades. i think any FI car owner should have some money in the bank just in case something breaks. but i knew the risk before i went FI, so there are no regrets. i'm not saying everyone should get FI, but life is too short to keep your stang stock, or wonder what if.......
Old 05-09-2008, 07:31 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

That is sound advice and I totally agree!!!! You have to pay to play and we all know what can happen and remember you are not in boost all the time if you use as a DD and show some responsibility when driving as hard as that may be to do!!!!!

Most any factory FI car will have forged internals or better than powered rods at the very least to help safe guard the motor and they also tune the car very conservatively.

ORIGINAL: onederful100

i think there is some logic to that argument, but only time will tell. in the meantime my HO has 3 tunes, on the street i run the tune that keeps my power at about 430 and if it blows, i got another car to drive me to work and some $$ saved for engine upgrades. i think any FI car owner should have some money in the bank just in case something breaks. but i knew the risk before i went FI, so there are no regrets. i'm not saying everyone should get FI, but life is too short to keep your stang stock, or wonder what if.......
Old 05-09-2008, 07:51 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

From what I understand, that is all opinions of non-experts or self-proclaimed experts.

Over 8k miles on my whipple, but atleast 1/2 of that is with the 8psi pulley.

I would have asked this ford rep how many whippled GT's have come in with spun bearings, broken rods or blown gaskets. Hell, people running a lot more boost and power are doing it with stock head gaskets so I call BS on this fool. Anyone heard of a blown head gasket on a s197 gt?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:57 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

can't you keep the factory warranty with one of the whipples? i know the saleen and the roush blowers both keep the warranty if you have it installed by a certified technician.

also, the saleen blower is an EXCELLENT option, and yes, getting it from brenspeed is a must.
Roush has their own warranty and of course they aren't pushing much power. Saleen has a warranty, but there are a lot of requirements, like it being installed at a saleen authorized dealer and running the saleen tune. If brenspeed installs your saleen, I doubt seriously that your local dealer is going to warranty anything. The 400hp ford racing kit has a 1 year warranty if installed by a authorized dealer.

If you need a warranty, then a blower is not for you. I would not hold my breath with any of those warranties if you break a rod.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I'll trade you a saleen for it
Old 05-10-2008, 02:17 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Having 100HP over stock and staying NA will be safer than 100HP over from boost since it's the boost that kills from what I understand.

Cylinder pressures from 400 horsepower is the same, no matter if it's Nitrous, Saleen, Whipple, Hellion, Natural Aspiration or any other manner of getting it. They all burn the same amount of fuel and exert the same amount of pressure down on the pistons and rods, the only difference is how the extra oxygen that the fuel burns gets into the cylinder.

Also, an IC isn't going to lower cylinder pressure at all. In fact, most times the IC is going to indirectly add cylinder pressure, in the form of thetuner being able to add more timing to the tune. All the IC does is help control the combustion event and keep the fuel charge cooler to help keep it from exploding (i.e. Detonation) and allows it to have a controlled combustion event.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:22 AM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Roush has their own warranty and of course they aren't pushing much power. Saleen has a warranty, but there are a lot of requirements, like it being installed at a saleen authorized dealer and running the saleen tune. If brenspeed installs your saleen, I doubt seriously that your local dealer is going to warranty anything.
Brenspeed is a Speedlab facility, so as long as you don't get one of their Stage packages and stick with the 475 HP Saleen tune, you'll have the remainder of your 3/35 warranty from Saleen.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EricM

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Roush has their own warranty and of course they aren't pushing much power. Saleen has a warranty, but there are a lot of requirements, like it being installed at a saleen authorized dealer and running the saleen tune. If brenspeed installs your saleen, I doubt seriously that your local dealer is going to warranty anything.
Brenspeed is a Speedlab facility, so as long as you don't get one of their Stage packages and stick with the 475 HP Saleen tune, you'll have the remainder of your 3/35 warranty from Saleen.
Well why doesn't brenspeed mention that? You'd think that'd be a big selling point if it were true. I see nothing on saleens site or brenspeed claiming any kind of warranty with the 475hp package. The base unit only makes 400hp and 420 ft lbs of torque (saleen's website) on 4psi of boost. I'm sure they will warranty that.

Like I said, if you need a warranty on a supercharger mustang, then you should not have a supercharged mustang. If you have an engine failure with even the roush, I think you'll be SOL trying to get them to cover it. Get ready for a fight.

Quick Reply: 500 hp HO Whipple Destroys engines!!!!