Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help! Car wouldn't start after tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:54 AM
white2O05gt

Default Help! Car wouldn't start after tune

I recently installed a Tunable Induction intake and flashed the computer using the preloaded tunes they sent me with an Xcalibrator 2. The car ran fine for about an hour when i went to start it again and it wouldn't. It would just sputter and die. I flashed the computer back to stock and the car started right up???!!! I was reading that when you take your car in to the dealer they reflash the computer which changes the ECM or PCM code thing on the side of the processor. Which would mean that i sent in the wrong code when i purchased the tuner and intake. Now today i installed the custom tune again and drove the car around for a while. It seemed to run alright. I am waiting until the morning to start it again. Anyone know what might be going on???
Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Car wouldn't start after tune

Id bet the dealer changed the factory tune and updated it or theres a problem with your custom tune. While vehicle is on stock tune, read the strategy code with your tuner. Not while the custom tune is loaded and check the saved chart under the search here for the pcm code and the matching original strategy and new strategy after update. If it was changed, you should be able to email or call your tuner and they'll get you the revised tune for the new strategy.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I dont think it would even allow the tune to load if you have the wrong pcm code. Sounds like something else is wrong to me.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:23 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

I dont think it would even allow the tune to load if you have the wrong pcm code. Sounds like something else is wrong to me.

No it will load. A similar thing happened to me. I gave Brenspeed the code that's on the sticker on the computer, they made a tune based off that and when I loaded it (which it loaded just fine) the car wouldn't start at all. I read the strategy off the tuner and noticed it was different(thanks to a taco bill article). I gave Brenspeed the new info and now it all works fine.

The thing that's weird is the OP says it DID run for a little while then stopped. Whereas mine with a tune for the wrong strategy didn't run at all, not even for a second.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SirKnightTG

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

No it will load. A similar thing happened to me. I gave Brenspeed the code that's on the sticker on the computer, they made a tune based off that and when I loaded it (which it loaded just fine) the car wouldn't start at all. I read the strategy off the tuner and noticed it was different(thanks to a taco bill article). I gave Brenspeed the new info and now it all works fine.

The thing that's weird is the OP says it DID run for a little while then stopped. Whereas mine with a tune for the wrong strategy didn't run at all, not even for a second.

The OP stated he drove around for an hr and it ran fine, that does not sound like a wrong pcm code to me. He also stated he reloaded and ran it again and it ran fine. Again that doesnt sound like the pcm to me I would check all connections under the hood also check and ensure the MAF is installed the right, I have read it can be insalled backwards which will cause problems.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:07 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Car wouldn't start after tu

Yep - the facts of him driving the car make the wrong code unlikely. I'll bet it's in the actual tune. I've heard of this happening before under similiar circumstances. Does the car feel like it's trying to idle and stumbling? If so, tap the throttle a few times at startup intermittently for about 30 seconds. If the idle levels off by 30 seconds and is fine, then it's in the tune...