Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Think I'm gonna buy a CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:52 PM
spyder14

Default Think I'm gonna buy a CAI

I've had my GT for about 2 months now and I think I'm finally ready for my first real mod. All I've done so far is get a shorty antenna, a gt plug for where the cheap plastic power plug was, and remove some hideous rocker stripes that turned out to be from beautycontrol. If you didn't see that post, please don't ask, lol.
So I finally bought a tuner(sct xcal2). And it is in the mail on the way, it is unlocked but has no tunes on it so I will need to grab a tune from bamachips or brenspeed. And I also need a CAI. It seems to be that C&L and JLT are the popular picks with the C&L costing slightly more but made out of sturdier mats, whereasthe JLT Tue Flow 2 has a little bit better numbers and is a wee bit cheaper.
My question to you fellow MFers is if I buy one of the two CAI kits, does it come with everything that I need to get the job done(minus my own simple tools of course.)
I have an 06 gt auto trans. I read somewhere that the 05 has something restricting flow that luckily i don't have to worry about, but I also ready something about the MAF being different for the 06.
Lastly, I live in south florida, it is hot hot hot, you think the JLT would hold up under the sun, or could it be better because it won't pass through hot air as much?
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:03 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Think I'm gonna buy a CAI

Better wait till you get the used tuner to make sure it's really unlocked. The c&l and jlt produce comparable numbers. make your pick on the look, cost, and quality of intake. If you buy the intake new it would come with all needed parts for install. Not sure if the c&l comes with a little torx bit wrench. I just opened my toolbox for the bit for my jlt. Maf is fine for the 06, i have an 06 gt also. I think the jlt would be fine for Florida. Think of the heat soak of plastic compared to aluminum? It's basically your pick, one is really not better than the other. its just a choice.