Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine problem Supercharged 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:32 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Engine problem Supercharged 4.6

I have never had a problem with ya-....actually never had any one else PM me about you either but I am not the only mod
ORIGINAL: exx1976

ORIGINAL: blackS197

ORIGINAL: nafpalm

So why is one tune working and one isn't working anymore? Why is only one tune having idling problem recently while it has worked fine for 2 years before that? Wasn't really any useful answer you came up with, was it?

Please, I do not really need any wise guys to tell me what is SOP and not, I need suggestions how to solve the problem that has occured now.

The problem isn't really the uncontrolledidling , it is the immediate uncontrolled reving of the engine, and thus acceleration out of control, when driving. Would be really nice to be able to use the old PAS tune again.
Listen here, Newbie. You came in here looking for information. I'm simply telling you that two of the "symptoms" you describe are THE WAY THE CAR IS SUPPOSED TO BEHAVE, meaning that you needn't worry about them.

If you want to be a dick, that's your prerogative, but I doubt you'll get much help from anyone if you continue.

BTW - welcome to my ignore list.

Maybe your the problem exx. I have seen you not get along with alot of people and you saying your on my ignore list numerous times. Think about it?

I'm just less tolerant than other people is all. Everyone gets an equal opportunity. And I'm not all bad. Me and cataclysm even made up.

The part that really bugs me is that my post was 100% legit, and the answer that people seemed to likeis the one that I first proposed, the MAF. Granted, it doesn't seem like that's it now, with the suggestions of leakdown tests and vacuum problems (I should've thought of that - D'oh!). But the fact of the matter is that I wasn't being a ***** about anything, and some guy with one post is going to call me a "wise guy" and that my letting him know that two "symptoms" were by design "wasn't really any useful answer"?

Whatever.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

So why is one tune working and one isn't working anymore? Why is only one tune having idling problem recently while it has worked fine for 2 years before that? Wasn't really any useful answer you came up with, was it?

Please, I do not really need any wise guys to tell me what is SOP and not, I need suggestions how to solve the problem that has occured now.

The problem isn't really the uncontrolledidling , it is the immediate uncontrolled reving of the engine, and thus acceleration out of control, when driving. Would be really nice to be able to use the old PAS tune again.
Listen here, Newbie. You came in here looking for information. I'm simply telling you that two of the "symptoms" you describe are THE WAY THE CAR IS SUPPOSED TO BEHAVE, meaning that you needn't worry about them.

If you want to be a dick, that's your prerogative, but I doubt you'll get much help from anyone if you continue.

Maybe your the problem exx. I have seen you not get along with alot of people and you saying your on my ignore list numerous times. Think about it?
+1, exx,maybe you don't mean to do it, but even on my thread you've made me feel like a total idiot. Newbs need love too! BUT, it is tough to gauge the tone of emails because it is just print, so it is easy to mistakenlyinterpret whensomeone is being a ***** or is being sarcastic.

Anyway, when a car jumps up in throttle when you are not applying foot pressure to the gas, that is not SOP and it soundsreally dangerous.

Not sure if this is helpful but Saleen s/c have issues with CAI rubbing against the alternator wiring harness.Checkany wiring under the CAI to make sure nothing has atrophied.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:31 AM
nafpalm

crazystylin - you are completely correct regarding the Saleen CAI. I noticed this when I changed the throttle bodybecause the CAI also rubbed against the inside of the hood. This was due to the elevation of the CAI because of it resting on the ground wire to the alternator. What I did was to remove one of the rubber "stripes/reinforcements" (do not know the exact name) on the outside of the CAI and thus could get it to fit over the alternator without rubbing against the hood or touching the alternator. The CAI is fully functional, so no real damage was done to it. I onlyvisually inspected the wiring to the alternator, butI will take a closer look. Good suggestion, thanks.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:59 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crazystylin

+1, exx,maybe you don't mean to do it, but even on my thread you've made me feel like a total idiot. Newbs need love too! BUT, it is tough to gauge the tone of emails because it is just print, so it is easy to mistakenlyinterpret whensomeone is being a ***** or is being sarcastic.

Anyway, when a car jumps up in throttle when you are not applying foot pressure to the gas, that is not SOP and it soundsreally dangerous.

Not sure if this is helpful but Saleen s/c have issues with CAI rubbing against the alternator wiring harness.Checkany wiring under the CAI to make sure nothing has atrophied.
I understand that people mistakenly interpret things. I've done it once or twice. But it's different when it comes from someone that's been posting here for months or years, easier to sort out. When it's someone with one or two posts, well, you know, there's lots of trolls out there that come in here just to stir up ****, if for no other reason. Not saying that's what happened here, but it seems to be the case lately..

In any event, yeah, jumping throttle for NO reason is bad, but everyone's manual car jumps 2-300 RPM when you step on the clutch. Try it. Set the cruise, and then to disengage the cruise, step on the clutch instead of the brake. Watch your tach. You'll see what I was talking about. It's been discussed on here before.

+1 to the Alternator issues, I had it so bad that the plug from the wires was rocking so much it actually damaged the regulator and they had to replace the whole alternator. Warrantied, but still. PITA.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:49 AM
nafpalm

Ok, a quick update: Checked vacuum - ok; checked possible leak between the intake manifolds and the engine block - ok; replaced the MAF with a functional unit from another GT - no improvement; replaced the pedal sensor with a functional unit from another GT - no improvement, alternator is charging ok and no damage to the wires due to the CAI rubbing against it.

So the problem is neither of:
Throttle body
TPS
Gaspedal sensor
MAF including the added Saleen wiring
Vacuum
Alternator

Any suggestions anybody?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

What about something with the O2 sensors?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure how you checked for diagnostic codes, but you should use a real scanner like a modis from snap on. There are alot of ford specific trouble codes that help diagnose problems that a generic scanner can't read. Just because you don't have a cel doesn't mean your car isn't throwing codes.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:05 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Keep us up to date on your troubleshooting. I am curious what's wrong.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Have you contacted the place that did your tuning (and I assume your saleen install too)? Maybe they'll take a look at it?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:24 AM
nafpalm

Sorry forgot: Replaced the two forntO2 sensors with new functional from another GT - no improvement. Diagnostic codes have been checked with three different tools; Original Ford diagnostic computer, my own SCT Xcal and another after market thingii that I do not remember the name of. Onereally puzzling thing is that when I unhook the connector to the TPS and start up the engine (running pretty darn bad with the TPS unplugged), it doesn't throw a code on either of the tunes. Makes me suspect that the error code-system doesn't really work on this car. Why I do not know either.

I have been in contact with Performance Autosport, and they are now on the problem, but unfortunately I cannot bring themthe car since I have moved pretty far away from there.

So the problem is neither of:
Throttle body
TPS
Gaspedal sensor
MAF including the added Saleen wiring
Vacuum
Alternator
O2 sensors

Quick Reply: Engine problem Supercharged 4.6