Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

3v with internal modifications

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 3v with internal modifications

I was thinking this also. Honestly N/A is for big blocks, and big cubic inch small blocks. You just won't make the power/ ET's with these motors. Any real Ford guy will tell you these motors are built for superchargers or turbo's to make racing worthwhile. That's why they don't respond well to N/A applications. Now Nitrous can make power also but get your checkbook ready.
Hell think about it (off topic I know) You still have to upgrade the fuel pumps/ injectors, probably better flowing manifold, Throttle body, andLT's along with the motor. It will still cost more to make comparable power... Cams make sense sure but what rpm threashold do they bear? I don't think they make sense $$ for $$ because if I can't gain an extra 700 rpm out of cams N/A Then the power gains and flow gains don't justify the pains of putting them in. Think about it, since you are N/A you will need a wider rpm band to compensate for a blower/turbo's boost and surge of hp/tq. Now this is my opinion on the N/A matter.
Livernios is my first choice come motor time.. Excellant notion there

ORIGINAL: Androdz2

First of all it all depends on what compression he picked. If he picked flat top pistons it is going to be hard for him to run any real psi later on because of the high compression. Staying N/A while admirable it is a complete waste of $ on this 4.6 3v's... BTW the cams that are giving real HP on this engines are the BBR stages two's. Also I recommend your friend to buy the livernois VCT Lockouts to prevent the phasers from failing due to the stronger valve springs and loosing his heads/pistons or freak scenario his block.

Andrew

It is a waste of $ to stay n/a. Lets put some numbers ok? Cams springs/retainers =1k, stage 3 heads 3k, built block 4-5k, LT's 1k, and the other bolt ons = under 400rwhp and a high up powerband because of the cams. and then you can't do almost anything else because of the higher compression. While you for 4k for a turbo kit you get everything you need + fuel system upgrades to reach 450-500rwhp. Build your engine then go for 600+hp.

Andrew

Remember Nitrous is N/A... So the hp # can be compensated with a little giggle joose. +1
When my motor goes, so will my whipple. Say hello to a 70+ turbo along with a big bore motor
Old 07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

I was thinking this also. Honestly N/A is for big blocks, and big cubic inch small blocks. You just won't make the power/ ET's with these motors. Any real Ford guy will tell you these motors are built for superchargers or turbo's to make racing worthwhile. That's why they don't respond well to N/A applications. Now Nitrous can make power also but get your checkbook ready.
Hell think about it (off topic I know) You still have to upgrade the fuel pumps/ injectors, probably better flowing manifold, Throttle body, andLT's along with the motor. It will still cost more to make comparable power... Cams make sense sure but what rpm threashold do they bear? I don't think they make sense $$ for $$ because if I can't gain an extra 700 rpm out of cams N/A Then the power gains and flow gains don't justify the pains of putting them in. Think about it, since you are N/A you will need a wider rpm band to compensate for a blower/turbo's boost and surge of hp/tq. Now this is my opinion on the N/A matter.
Livernios is my first choice come motor time.. Excellant notion there

First of all it all depends on what compression he picked. If he picked flat top pistons it is going to be hard for him to run any real psi later on because of the high compression. Staying N/A while admirable it is a complete waste of $ on this 4.6 3v's... BTW the cams that are giving real HP on this engines are the BBR stages two's. Also I recommend your friend to buy the livernois VCT Lockouts to prevent the phasers from failing due to the stronger valve springs and loosing his heads/pistons or freak scenario his block.

Andrew

It is a waste of $ to stay n/a. Lets put some numbers ok? Cams springs/retainers =1k, stage 3 heads 3k, built block 4-5k, LT's 1k, and the other bolt ons = under 400rwhp and a high up powerband because of the cams. and then you can't do almost anything else because of the higher compression. While you for 4k for a turbo kit you get everything you need + fuel system upgrades to reach 450-500rwhp. Build your engine then go for 600+hp.

Andrew

Remember Nitrous is N/A... So the hp # can be compensated with a little giggle joose. +1
When my motor goes, so will my whipple. Say hello to a 70+ turbo along with a big bore motor
Giggle juice is expensive I ran a 150 shot for almost a year trust me. I was wasting around $600 a month on nitrous. Now I am just paying 300 to my visa to pay for the turbo kit Also the stock manifold is great and doesn't heat up at all.

Andrew
Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Agreed on the expense of gas... I run a 75 shot on my turbo'd notch that will only run on 100octane fuel and that's how I want it. The manifold would have to go because of it's inherant design if Full bolt on N/A is to be achieved. Pushrod guys had to do it, 2v guys had to do it, so the 3v plascrap (mine's metal and whines ) manifold would have to be replaced with a metallic better constructed better flowing setup... Good stuff though

Giggle juice is expensive I ran a 150 shot for almost a year trust me. I was wasting around $600 a month on nitrous. Now I am just paying 300 to my visa to pay for the turbo kit Also the stock manifold is great and doesn't heat up at all.

Andrew