Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

McLeod RST Street Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Balys
1st Gear Member

Default McLeod RST Street Clutch

Just had my new clutch installed yesterday and I couldn't be more impressed with it. I went with the McLeod RST Street twin disc kit and the only way I can describe the difference is its like driving a brand new car. I haven't been able to bang on it muchyet obviously, but it feels completely different fromstock. I think others have mentioned this before, but let me reiterate that it is much much lighter than stock.

I would say the difference is as much or possibly more noticable than switching from the stock shifter to the MGW. I was somewhat worried that it would not be quite worth the money, but I definitely couldn't be happier with it. Anyone looking for a new clutch espcially those that plan on going F/I should definitely look into it since I've seen a few posts lately on people trying to decide which clutch to get.

Chris

Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: McLeod RST Street Clutch

glad you like it balys, that's the one
i plan to go with...

did you replacethe slave cylinder or
leave the stock one
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Balys
1st Gear Member

I ended up reusing the stock slave cylinder and flywheel as well. Ithought about getting a new flywheel as well, but the cost would cut too much into the blower fund.

Only downside was having to wait almost 2 months for the kit to be ready and shipped. Hopefully that doesn"t happen to anyone else.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I've seriously considered this clutch since the only reason my car is not back from the shop yet is because there is no clutch yet. I've heard good things about this clutch but my builder wants to use a different one. I don't know squat (other than what the end user reports) about clutches. So . . I'm still waiting.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Balys
1st Gear Member

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I picked the McLeod because of the horsepower rating (800 I believe) and the lighter feel. I have to drive through traffic on a daily basis so not having to break my leg keeping it in first in stop and go trafficwas a big selling point for me.

I'm really looking forward to taking it to the track once I've broken it in well. Even after only a few days with it I can already feel how much better it grabs than the stocker.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

I was considering that clutch also, even had it ordered but after waiting 3 months due to back orders I canceled it and just had the Mcleod TOB installed (about 100 miles ago) and of course now that thing is leaking fluid. f()cking great![:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Balys

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I picked the McLeod because of the horsepower rating (800 I believe) and the lighter feel. I have to drive through traffic on a daily basis so not having to break my leg keeping it in first in stop and go trafficwas a big selling point for me.

I'm really looking forward to taking it to the track once I've broken it in well. Even after only a few days with it I can already feel how much better it grabs than the stocker.
Horsepower rating for a clutch? Makes about as much sense as a hp rating for a drive shaft. So do you have plans for 800hp?

Old 08-01-2008, 04:51 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Moose I agree they should use torque as a Rating but regardless here is the article from the mag
http://www.mcleodind.com/downloads/36723_eprint.pdf
Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Balys
1st Gear Member

I don't have any plans for 800, but more in the 600 range once it stops being my daily driver. I tend to think it's better to have way more than you think you need in case one day you actually need it.

This clutch should handle pretty much anything I do to the car and that was my goal.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Mcloed is great from everything I have read but expensive.

Balys- great clutch but just something to think about but if you really want 600 rwhp you will need to get rid of that clutch eventually. You will need a new flywheel because when you forge you will have an 8 bolt crank (losing the stocker wont hurt much), but you will probably want to run anew input shaft on the trans and you will have to change the clutch. Or swap out to a TR 6060, which is my plan once they start selling ones with the cryo viper internals (.50 overdrive).

But back on topic if you want 0 chance of problems I would go with the Twin Disc. I am going to gamble on the Spec Stage 2 with RPS flywheel for my future set up. Good for 599 ft lbs of tq, and I should be right around 520 tq at the flywheel. That is only $800 in parts. Like I said when I get serious this trans goes up for sale.

Congrats, that is a nice set up.