Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

help me decide.. 93 race or 93 torque tune?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:40 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

Default help me decide.. 93 race or 93 torque tune?

i recently bought a C&L street intake and diablosport predator tuner for my 08 GT..

i called up bamachips and they told me about the 3 tunes they have for 93 octane.. i can't decide between the torque and race..

torque he said was good for DD which is what my car is but i do like going fast.. has anyone compared the torque and race and wanna share with me which one you prefer? lol

i've heard good things about the race and i think thats what most people get so should i go with that? i kinda want it because it seems like the favorite but the torque might be the better choice for me..

i'm a student a rutgers university so during school most of my driving is just back and forth home and campus through some traffic and rt 18 where all the construction is being done right outside the new brunswick campus..

any help or input is appreciated
Old 08-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

I had the same question; and spoke with Doug @ Bamachips. Doug said the performance and race tunes are very very similar. In fact he said the only difference in the race and perf tune is going to be throttle response and he recommends getting Race or Perf but not both for this reason.

I had originally ordered the JLTII with 87 Perf, 93 Perf and 93 Race but dropped the Perf for Torque. Doug said the race tune can be used for a Daily Driver as well its just that the car has more twitch to it off of the throttle.

Personally I'm going to run the Race tune for a while then swap to Torque for DD as it puts most of the power in the 1500-3500 RPM range which is where I'm at when I'm not flooring it.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Just remember that HP looks great on a dyno but Torque wins races...period.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I use the Race as a DD tune and it's great. I LOVE the touchy twitchy throttle response. You barely touch the gas and instantly it responds with gusto.

My brenspeed tune, while good, was nothing like this. It was actually quite laggy and sluggish off the throttle. Not the Bama Race tune. It's a beast of a tune.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

The race tune wins the butt dyno contest, but that doesn't mean it is faster. I used both tunes when I ran the 1/8 mile, and the tq tune better times. Other people have had similar results. The 1/4 mile might be different. The race tune was a PIA at first, but once you get used to it's okay. When I use the race tune and I am in traffic, I have to usually start in 2nd gear. To answer your question, get the tq tune. Especially if you are going to drive thru contruction and any traffic.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Seeing that you're a manual, get the race tune most definately.
I have it in my auto right now because I was using it to race last weekend... i'm about to change it back to the torque though. The shifts are annoying with the 93 race on automatics (jerky shifts at neighborhood speeds), but it is definately a beast of a tune, I can tell you that for sure. You can push the pedal down anywhere and it'll go, even in 4th gear running low rpm's it feels really torquey. The last few mornings have been a fun drive in.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 PM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

hey sorry for being off topic but i just transfered to RU and start in the fall and i just got a 08 and will be driving to and from school. how is the parking? shady? which campus? out of all of them i hope to get a livingston permit i feel its more friendly of all
Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

i ended up ordering the torque tune.. if i eventually decide that i want the race tune, whats another 50 bucks? lol from what i hear it would be worth it..

and MadMike, as for parking.. I park on busch campus because i go there for the school of engineering.. not really too many shady spots there.. parking lots are hard to find shade unless they have things in the middle with trees or maybe near the edge.. the parking there is pretty good depending on what time you get there.. early morning you'll find a good spot close to the bus stop but around 10 and later it gets more packed and you gotta go all the way to the back of the stadium lot.. i've parked on livingston a few times when i had an exam.. its pretty much the same thing i guess.. basically get used to walking a lot haha and waiting for buses in freezing/raining/snowing weather for the fall semester and also trying to cram into a bus with 20 other people trying to get on at the same time when the bus is already full so then you end up having to wait even more for the next bus lol its just great
Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 AM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

I have both the 93 oct Bama race and Brenspeed tunes. I switch back and forth ('08 GT manual w/ C&L Street CAI). The throttle response is a little too touchy for me with the Bama Tune wheareas the Brenspeed throttle response could be better. Below 3500 rpm, the Bama tune seems better at the lower rpm's (better torque?). but as the rpm's get closer to 3500 rpm, the Brenspeed seems better. After 3500 rpm the Brenspeed tune seems better to me. This, of course, is all by my butt dyno. Again, I do switch back and forth as I like aspects of them both.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 AM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMichael
i ended up ordering the torque tune.. if i eventually decide that i want the race tune, whats another 50 bucks? lol from what i hear it would be worth it..
+1...I was going to get all three Bama tunes, race, perf, and torque as a package deal ($115?), but tried to save some money and just got yhe race. Now I wish I had all three to compare. Oh well.

Quick Reply: help me decide.. 93 race or 93 torque tune?