Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need help, 340 & 344 codes are back

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

Ive seen many alternators on the edge gt's throw cam sensor codes because of a failed diode,actully I just did one last week.The harness from the alternator runs in the same harness as the cams sensor wiring,I havent seen one from an s197 yet though.Let us know what happens though.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:18 PM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

Wish me luck guys... going tonight to have the alt scoped for voltage/amps to see if its doing it job
Old 10-16-2008, 06:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

good luck RedNyt GT
Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 PM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

Ugggghh, wouldve been to easy to have the alt be the problem. Scope test showed that it was working fine..... so, its not the alt. Wiring all looked good too. Guess that means me and my buddy are tearing into it this weekend. Gonna replace the cam phasers and the sensors and see what happens If this doesnt work for some reason, Im not sure what else to try. Funny thing, car "seems" to run fine.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:08 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if that doesn't do the trick, then it will
surely point to a wiring issue,
or maybe there is simply too much induced
voltage on the CMP sensor wires, from a source
yet to be determined

Originally Posted by RedNyt GT

Gonna replace the cam phasers and the sensors and see what happens If this doesnt work for some reason, Im not sure what else to try. Funny thing, car "seems" to run fine.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:50 AM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Ugggghh, wouldve been to easy to have the alt be the problem. Scope test showed that it was working fine..... so, its not the alt. Wiring all looked good too. Guess that means me and my buddy are tearing into it this weekend. Gonna replace the cam phasers and the sensors and see what happens If this doesnt work for some reason, Im not sure what else to try. Funny thing, car "seems" to run fine.
let us know what you find....i chickened out on my cam install after seeing your post and some others. i'm going to wait until all th bugs shake out of these cam installs before i go ahead with mine.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rojizostang
let us know what you find....i chickened out on my cam install after seeing your post and some others. i'm going to wait until all th bugs shake out of these cam installs before i go ahead with mine.

Just take it to a shop. Not the dealer as they'll stick it to ya.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

this sounds like an absolute PITA... are there a lot of people having this problem or is this a fluke thing?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Hey guys, need some help again. I cant seem to shake these damn codes since my Hot Rod cam install. I know a lot people said to replace the alt. I did do that. I have a buddy at Ford who got me another Ford alt to replace my original one. However, it was a refurbed one which he said should make no diff. Are the Ford ones just not good enough to get the job done ? I checked the cam position sensors and wiring (actually pulled the sensors to inspect them) and they all seem fine. I bought new cam phasers but not sure that will fix the issue either. Should I replace the sensors first ? Or do the sensors and the phasers while Im in there ? Car runs/sounds great.... Could it be in the tune ??? Please help this is driving me nuts. Thanks guys
Don't know if this article will help but it seems to me the OEM cam phasers are too sloppy for agressive or semi-agressive cams.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...all/index.html
Old 10-17-2008, 02:55 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

this is a fluke thing....there are at least 10
others (including me) that have no issues.

Quick Reply: Need help, 340 & 344 codes are back