Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

looking to build a 5.0 stroker motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpunkyQ8
What's so bad about MMR other than keeping you on hold for the next 1 or 2 months without a process ? :P
haha. MMR is either hit or miss it seems. Theres a couple guys running an MMR motor without a problem on these boards, but a majority of guys that went with MMR on these new mustangs are having some really bad issues. Not to mention 2 of them already had their motor blow up in less than 6 months. The other more hardcore racer forums really go into why theres so many problems with them, including boreing being way off when they took it apart to check them, and other internal issues.. like i said its either hit or miss.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:19 PM
SpunkyQ8

Originally Posted by Hufenstang
haha. MMR is either hit or miss it seems. Theres a couple guys running an MMR motor without a problem on these boards, but a majority of guys that went with MMR on these new mustangs are having some really bad issues. Not to mention 2 of them already had their motor blow up in less than 6 months. The other more hardcore racer forums really go into why theres so many problems with them, including boreing being way off when they took it apart to check them, and other internal issues.. like i said its either hit or miss.
Damn Bro !! You scared the Sh*t out of me ! i hope mine goes well :/ . So far it's running ok
Old 11-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

yeah. hit or miss. Mine has been a hit, no problems. I recommended them to about 10 people, and 4 of them had issues. Not a good hit rate. Also their customer service sucks, which i found out after i recommended them, and i will never recommend them again because they're so full of it
Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpunkyQ8
Damn Bro !! You scared the Sh*t out of me ! i hope mine goes well :/ . So far it's running ok

hey i noticed the q8 ... it really depends on who installed it since ur from q8. i personally dont trust any one to do it thats why i do all the work my self on my car as all mustang owners should. any ways who did the work for you?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
SpunkyQ8

Originally Posted by Stage4
yeah. hit or miss. Mine has been a hit, no problems. I recommended them to about 10 people, and 4 of them had issues. Not a good hit rate. Also their customer service sucks, which i found out after i recommended them, and i will never recommend them again because they're so full of it
Man, After this hit or miss post i'm feeling paranoid hope mine goes well. How much time do i have until i know whether it's a miss or hit ?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:55 PM
SpunkyQ8

Originally Posted by q8stang
hey i noticed the q8 ... it really depends on who installed it since ur from q8. i personally dont trust any one to do it thats why i do all the work my self on my car as all mustang owners should. any ways who did the work for you?
Well i'm not the grease monkey kinda guy, I don't know how to work on the internals. But I bet you the guy who worked for me used to work for Saud alzabin, ofcours you know who's Saud. He's my tuner
Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Crazy Horse S197
1st Gear Member

I wonder how hard it would be to do a 3v 5.4 conversion. The forged shortblocks seem cheaper than the 5.0 shortblocks and a lot cheaper than the boss shortblocks. The added power from the extra displacement would be nice.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hufenstang
On modular Forums there is a guy overthere who had to take his MMR motor apart because of some issue MMR would not warrunty. AFter taking it apart, the mechanic at his local speed shop (name unknown) stated the wrong pistons were in it. Well actually the worng size pistons. The pistons were bigger than stock and the block was bored .030 over. Customer had asked for and purchased a stock bore/displacement short block. After numerous communications with MMR denying any knowledge of overboring or wrongdoing, somebody high up finally told the customer "we bore all of our blocks .030 over." Well that's lovely, now I can't reuse my block because it already bored, the pistons are the wrong size and the manufacture says that's what I sold your on your own.

There are those who have wonderful experiences with MMR and a few with problems. I have heard of more bad things from them then any other manufacture. Take what I said above and confirm the info for yourself or find your own builder.

I had ST Motorsports build my motor because of his reputation of building awesome motors that last and make awesome power. My power numbers would have 100 hp more if I had a different spring for my boost controler. Adam's products are rock solid and his craftmanship and tuning is second to none. That being said, his customer service is horrible. It's damn near impossible to get him on the phone and at times he works at his own pace to do it at his leisure it seems. I would go back to him again if I had to do it all over again.

Best of luck . . .