Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A/c leak, dealer can't locate.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:43 AM
bplemmons
1st Gear Member

Default A/c leak, dealer can't locate.

I've had my 2006 mustang gt to the dealer 3 times in the last year for a leaky a/c. Last year, in the summertime I noticed the air wasn't cold and I took it back to the dealer and they said it was low and they charged it but they couldn't find a leak so it must have came low from the factory. this past summer it was the same story. I took it back in and they said it was fine and I must not be letting the a/c run long enough before I checked it with a thermometer. I mentioned the story to my neighbor who is a auto mechanic and he brought over his uv light and goggles. He pointed out a faint green glow in one of the connectors that lead to the firewall on the drivers side. He said that was a possible leak. I took it back to the dealer today (my warranty will run out in January) And they said it was 7 oz. low but it isn't leaking there but thought it may be leaking at the evaporator near the blower motor so they pulled that and check it but it wasn't leaking there either and the small amount in that fitting they saw was normal and wasn't getting past the seal and if that much ru134 was coming from that area it would be all oily and would but easy to see, which kind of makes sense I guess. but to lose 7 oz in just 2 months seems like quite a bit to me.

Anyway I need to figure out what to do before my warranty is up. Has anyone here had a similar problem with their a/c unit?

Bill P
Old 11-01-2008, 09:31 AM
TDC71
1st Gear Member

Take it back and be firm that you want this fixed. Theyre trying to stall you so your warranty runs out. 7 oz is almost half a pound of r134, and thats alot on a system that holds around 2lbs i think. Any leak is not acceptable. It is somewhat small compared to the time it takes to leak out but the key word is LEAK. You might think about taking it to an independent shop that specializes in A/C work and pay for diagnosis and after they find it take it to the dealer and show them the results and have them fix it and ask to be reimbursed for the check out. Or go to another dealer. These systems come from the assy plant with dye in them so finding leaks are relatively easy now. Mine had a leaky front seal at the a/c compressor, I found it myself and told them what it was. All fixed now. After a year and a half it still icy cold.

Last edited by TDC71; 11-01-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:11 AM
bplemmons
1st Gear Member

I wondered if they are playing dumb I was under the impression that when warranty work is being done they just bill it the ford. So there should should be no conflict of interest, right?

And if next year, it turns out the compressor was leaking and I have the documentation to show they didn't fix it the thee times they had it, I could come back on them for that right?

thanks for your input

Last edited by bplemmons; 11-01-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:24 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

i would give the hell if something isn't fixed you have to keep coming back until the fix it
Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 PM
crazyray78

I agree, give 'em hell about it. If you don't they will make you pay for it once the warranty is gone. Thats what happened to me with my 04 Hemi Ram. The dealer stalled and stalled, they refilled the A/C on five different occasions, and the compressor came apart on me on I-77 around fort mill about three months later, just 200 miles out of the warranty period. So, a tow, a new belt and tensioner, and a new A/C compressor and fluid, all to the tune of $1100 total on MY dime. I was ticked off to put it nicely.