Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Compcams VSR/SPR, Installation difficulty? Without dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Default Compcams VSR/SPR, Installation difficulty? Without dyno

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy Compcams their XFI VSR or SPR Cams. VSR means Valve springs required and SPR stands for Spring & Phaser mods required. I have no idea what that means.

I find the power gains from the NSR Cams disappointing. I read that i will likely need to upgrade my gears to 3.73's and install atleast a 3000stall.

There are no tuners or actual certified FORD TECH in my country. My mechanic has done all my installations for me so far (see signature) and i've no problems, except for a "Check charging system" warning whenever i load a tune. But everybody including my mechanic tells me its nothing and probably because of the Steeda Pulleys.

My questions:
Can i just buy a tune from brenspeed for the cams or will it require a custom tune? (i'm located outside of the US)
Will the aftermarket cams require more maintenance and will it effect my engine life? (i dont plan on selling my car anytime soon)
Is a Torque Converter/Stall damaging to your gearbox?
How hard is the installation of; Cams VSR/SPR, TCI Stall 3500, 3.73 Gears?
What HP numbers should i be putting down with these mods?