Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Forced Induction Guys in here.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:33 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by blackS197
I would just stay at 10psi with a race tune instead of droping to 8 psi and having a 25 shot. Dont think that 25 shot will really do much anyways.
I agree.....get a race tune and you should yield more HP at the same psi and even less chance of detonation with the higher octane....JMO (more aggressive tune- change timing adv etc))
Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

This is kind of a what if scenario.

I figure the 4.10's and 8psi will make the car just as fast on the street (given limitations of street tires), and the nitrous would make up the difference at the track or gradge match type thing.

From what I have read 2psi is about 20 rwhp (rounded up estimate) so the 25 shot should make more power plus having the cooling effect.

In quite a few years or if I win the lottery I will let you know how the whole Nitrous Boost thing works.

Honestly since I make 484rwhp on my street tune I dont think I want a race tune unless I was running 100 octane +.

I am trying to keep from becoming a drag racer, as it is too expensive.

Just wanted to throw the idea out there and see if anyone would try it out.........Brice?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I've been thinking about adding a small nitrous shot. But I prob stay at 10 psi with the blower also .
Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Delete...

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
If you meant me well no, I'm keeping everything conservative for now.

I think you've already talked yourself into it anyway
LOL, no he meant me
Old 01-14-2009, 12:26 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
This is kind of a what if scenario.

I figure the 4.10's and 8psi will make the car just as fast on the street (given limitations of street tires), and the nitrous would make up the difference at the track or gradge match type thing.

From what I have read 2psi is about 20 rwhp (rounded up estimate) so the 25 shot should make more power plus having the cooling effect.

In quite a few years or if I win the lottery I will let you know how the whole Nitrous Boost thing works.

Honestly since I make 484rwhp on my street tune I dont think I want a race tune unless I was running 100 octane +.

I am trying to keep from becoming a drag racer, as it is too expensive.

Just wanted to throw the idea out there and see if anyone would try it out.........Brice?
How much of a cooling effect will you get with a 25 shot of NOS? If you want a cooling effect and lower those IAT's get meth injection and up the boost or use the NOS for a cooling effect on the intercooler itself (don't they have a kit for this?)-I know turbo guys use it and I am sure anyone could if they wanted to on an intercooled FI.
I understand not wanting to run race tune with the 100+ octane but thats the beauty of having more then one tune! But I do see you point.....give PLstang a PM and see his take on it....he does drag race and has a 3.4L whipple and I believe NOS on a 5.4L GT!!! Over 900+ RWHP I think!!!! I believe he is running 9's in the quarter mile and that with a 4000 lb vehicle!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:12 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Yeah BruceH, I meant americanspeed, his name is Brice and we go to the same perf shop.

mygt500 - Honestly I dont know how much it would cool but I would be interested to see. It is days like this that I wish I had a different DD and more money to try these things. It was just something that popped in my head so I wanted to see what others thought.

Honestly on a twinscrew car more boost is probably the answer. Now on a Centri or Turbo car I think a small shot is perfect to get off the line faster till the boost comes in.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:33 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
Yeah BruceH, I meant americanspeed, his name is Brice and we go to the same perf shop.

mygt500 - Honestly I dont know how much it would cool but I would be interested to see. It is days like this that I wish I had a different DD and more money to try these things. It was just something that popped in my head so I wanted to see what others thought.

Honestly on a twinscrew car more boost is probably the answer. Now on a Centri or Turbo car I think a small shot is perfect to get off the line faster till the boost comes in.
I wish I had more cash to to experiment. I am sure it has been done but I have to agree that for a centri or turbo it application IMO would be perfect with the right tune by an experienced tuner! Turbo and centri guys do it all the time and have impressive TQ (esp in the higher RPM's).

I could be wrong but I have heard that the NOS can wear/damage the internals of the S/C of the twinscrew's? I thought I read that in this section last year.....
Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I was at the track last night and another guy with a mustang said he bought a zex nitrous setup for $300 on fleabay, if I can find another one that cheap, I'm going to get it and pray my block holds together. A small shot should get me into the 10s.

By the way, I set a new mph and ET best at the track last night: 11.41 @ 122.08 !! With the weather finally getting to be somewhat cold, the whipple is def flying. And this was all on the street tune with 93 octane with timing pulled for safety! Video will be up later. I think friday I may be able to hit 122.5, possibly 123 as it should be about 10 degrees colder. Oh yeah, I got booted from the track! First pass was 11.42 @ 120.7 (no cool down)

MyGT500, I don't think I've ever heard that Nitrous hurts the internals of a TS, but I have heard that meth does. Maybe thats what you were thinking? There are a ton of guys that spray on the 03-04 termis.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:37 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

+1, I think you are thinking meth. Personally that is why I would never use it on my car. Maybe a turbo car after the turbo though.

As the nitrous should be fully converted to a gas by the rotors I couldnt see much impact.

Now I am not sure how much I would want to run a wet kit as pushing gasoline through the blower doesnt sound good to me either.

That is why I thought a dry kit or direct port injections like they did for the 99-04 stangs would be perfect.

Brice, if you want the low down on nitrous and a whipple go over to S 197foums and find Chevykiller. He is running juice on this 3.4L whipple combo, 700+rwhp street tune

Quick Reply: Forced Induction Guys in here.....