Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

MGW Shifter, I am sold

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

How notchy is this thing? I HATE notchy. Notchy = slow shifting for me and it sure seems like I'd miss more gears like that. I like smooth.

Would sure like the stock shifter to be shorter though.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:54 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

The shifter is notchy as hell for the first few months.

I once heard the MGW break-in compared to stirring a bucket of rocks with a crowbar.
But I tell you as much as I regretted my MGW for a couple thousand miles, now I love it. I would now compare it's smoothness to putting a hot knife through butter.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:04 AM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by DLZ314
The shifter is notchy as hell for the first few months.

I once heard the MGW break-in compared to stirring a bucket of rocks with a crowbar.
But I tell you as much as I regretted my MGW for a couple thousand miles, now I love it. I would now compare it's smoothness to putting a hot knife through butter.
Wow... you should right a poem about it... (good info. I am about to install mine.) Considering your comment I will probably go for the longer through setting for the break in period. May be it makes it tad easier to cope with.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Hmm, I may have to second guess this shifter then. I drive my car like once a week. It sounds like I'd be stuck in the break in period for like 2 years, lol.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Rskapof
2nd Gear Member

What is actually changing during the break in period? What is the difference between the new shifter and the broken in shifter.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

I bought one of the first MGW shifters when it was available, I didn't have any break in period. If you don't like notchy leave the throw adjustment at 0 turns out. The more you shorten the throw the notchier the shift, same is true for any shifter.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DLZ314
But I tell you as much as

I read that too but I thought it was used to describe a Hurst shifter.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

When you shorten the throw length of your shift, the amount of effort to move it increases. The break-in essentially softens the elastomers, smoothes any imperfections, and allows the grease to slide into and around all the parts of the shifter.

I left my throw at the longest setting after my install, truly I've been too lazy to go back under and change it, but the throw is dramatically shortened and I still sometimes find myself clutching down to make sure I'm actually in gear.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Hmm, I may have to second guess this shifter then. I drive my car like once a week. It sounds like I'd be stuck in the break in period for like 2 years, lol.

Flap, for how often you drive, and how nice you are to your car, you might not want/need a short-shifter. The only time I find myself thanking MGW for this incredible piece is when I'm driving like a raging jerk. You know, stoplight races around town and such. People aren't lying when they say "never miss 3rd again."

I did however miss 2nd a couple times early on, after I first installed the shifter - I think most MGW guys did. Just super psyched to have it, was my only excuse, shot my load too early....
Old 03-24-2009, 07:13 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I dont remember a long break in for my MGW but it has been on the car for a long time. IMO it is the best shifter around and worth the extra money. Drive a Hurst shifter car first and the MGW will feel smooth as hell.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter, I am sold