Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Loud squeaking coming from underneath car towards rear end..transmission? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:02 PM
nicknitro25
1st Gear Member

Default Loud squeaking coming from underneath car towards rear end..transmission? Help!

Ok so for the past few weeks this squeaking noise has been heard from underneath my car..towards the rear end.

If I start my car and drive it around it's fine for the first 10 minutes, then it just appears. It gets more frequent and louder when going down hill for some reason and whenever I hit a big bump. Whenever I rev the engine up or whenever it shifts I hear it as well, usually at lower speeds though..if I am up at around 80 or so I don't hear it as much (could be the boomtubes drowning it out though lol)

At first I thought it was the boomtube clamps coming loose. But then just now I pulled into my driveway and put the car in reverse and I heard the squeaking again. So I got out and looked under the car and it was coming from what I think is the transmission.

I wanna take it to the dealership but before I do I wanna hear what you guys have to say before I dump 100 dollars for them to say "We couldn't find anything wrong with it"
Old 03-20-2009, 08:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It could be your carrier bearing if you have a stock drive shaft. I don't know if they tend to squeak, but they will wear out. How many miles on the car?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 PM
nicknitro25
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
It could be your carrier bearing if you have a stock drive shaft. I don't know if they tend to squeak, but they will wear out. How many miles on the car?
Car is stock except for boomtubes, a little under 20,000 miles on it
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

how long have you had the boomtubes? i put my boomtubes on my dads GT after having them on my GT for 2 years, and he is getting that rattling you are describing. going over a bump or when you rev it going over a bump, or up/down hill, but no rattle if you rev it while standing still.. the sound produced after putting the boomtubes on. i checked all the hangers and clamps and they were all good. then i tapped the boomtubes and i hear that rattling from inside the boomtubes. i believe the baffles inside are coming loose. try tapping the boomtubes w/ your hand and see if you get the rattle. post up what you find, please.

my dads GT has only 500 miles on it so i suspect the 2 year old boomtube baffles.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:59 AM
teejay76
1st Gear Member

I've been experiencing the same squeaking/rattling problem as well with the Boomtubes coming from the rear. Damn noise was pissing me off, made me feel like I had a hooptie.

I finally broke down and took the stang to the local muffler shop. The guy put the car on the lift so we can see what could be causing the noise, so he noticed on the drivers side hanger (front) was rubbing on the hanger bracket and we also could see scratches on the inside bumper that was probably caused by the rear hanger from the drivers side exhaust. At the moment the rear hanger had about a half inch clearance but after warming up and under load at some point it was rubbing against the rear bumper.

What he did was cut out a notch on the front hanger bracket were the boomtube hanger was making contact and cut off 1/4 inch off the rear hanger.

Problem solved! I just cant believe I tolerated this for 6 months before doing something about it.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:59 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

The exhaust issue teejay describes is a common issue, I had MACs and had to mod the brackets to get rid of the stupid noise, that was a annoying rattle which is definately different than a squeak so I doubt that is your problem. IMHO

Take it to dealer, you shouldn't have to pay anything for a looksie since you have no aftermarket suspension stuff, I did have squeaking on my aftermarket LCAs and UCA after install but again aftermarket, my panhard bar (stock) did work itself loose and had to be tightened up. Just have them check all stock susp. parts make sure they are solid.

Transmission is more towards front of the car so doubt it is that, maybe rear end although the carrier will make more of a whirring noise as opposed to squeak, there is some slop in teh rear end but that is a more sudden thud as opposed to squeak, good luck man "find the noise" is a bitch !!! lol
Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Is it a squeak or a ting, ting, ting, sound? It it's the ting then the baffle inside the boomtube is making the noise. The weld on my buddies boomtube baffles on the drivers side was bad.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Wave100205

Baffles on my JBA's went bad and it took me forever to figure out where the sound was coming from. To me it sounded like marbles in a tin can and was only noticeable at certain RPM's and was more noticeable when the car was cold.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 PM
shane.stockard
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like my damn exhaust, I can not stand the rattle at certain RPMs. I have been through two kinds of CATS.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:02 PM
white_lightning
2nd Gear Member

If it only happens over bumps and hard shifts, my guess would be...

2005-2007 MUSTANG GRUNT/CREAK/SQUEAK/CHIRP NOISE FROM THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHING OVER BUMPS - BUILT BEFORE 2/28/2007
SOME 2005-2007 MUSTANGS MAY EXHIBIT A GRUNT/CREAK/SQUEAK/CHIRP NOISE FROM THE LOWER CONTROL ARM (LCA) HYDRO BUSHING OVER BUMPS LIKE SPEED BUMPS, POT HOLES, ROUGH ROADS, AND DRIVEWAY APPROACHES

I know 07 Mustang GT does this over speed bumps etc.