Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Breaking in new 2009 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 AM
abecker

Default Breaking in new 2009 GT?

Howdy

I recently bought a new 2009 Mustang GT with a manual transmission. The manual says to vary your driving speeds for the first 1,000 miles.

I've heard contradictory information online on what to do. Also, I've heard that I should get an oil change after the first 1,000 miles. The scheduled maintenance guide doesn't mention anything until 7,500 miles.

So far I've driven with varying speeds, and when I'm on the interstate i try to switch between various speeds and 4/5 gears. So far I am at ~500 miles on the car.

So here are my questions:

1) Is what I'm doing ok?
2) Do you have any recommendations?
3) When should I get an oil change?

Thanks,

abecker
Old 04-12-2009, 01:14 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by abecker
Howdy

I recently bought a new 2009 Mustang GT with a manual transmission. The manual says to vary your driving speeds for the first 1,000 miles.

I've heard contradictory information online on what to do. Also, I've heard that I should get an oil change after the first 1,000 miles. The scheduled maintenance guide doesn't mention anything until 7,500 miles.

So far I've driven with varying speeds, and when I'm on the interstate i try to switch between various speeds and 4/5 gears. So far I am at ~500 miles on the car.

So here are my questions:

1) Is what I'm doing ok?
2) Do you have any recommendations?
3) When should I get an oil change?

Thanks,

abecker
I recently had to deal with "the new car break-in period" on my '08 Stang. The only thing the dealer (and everyone who had an opinion either way) said was to NOT REDLINE IT whatsoever. My RPM's never touched 4000RPM during my first 2000 miles.

I had a friend with a lift show me how to go about doing an oil change on my car as I am VERY automotive illiterate. I was forced to wait until well after 3000 miles before my first change. This friend of mine (a mechanic most of his life and a former Ford dealer mechanic), explained that our cars come with a lot of additives and cleaning agents in the oil from the factory and that it's better for these additives and cleaners to circulate through the system for longer than the standard oil change period. Makes sense to me. I trust what he has to say, and I'll pass it along to you with the confidence that it's accurate. I got my first oil change at 3900 miles instead of 3000. I have since put another 3100 miles on the car, but the oil looks clean, so I will change it when I get the chance.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:25 AM
abecker

Originally Posted by East87
I recently had to deal with "the new car break-in period" on my '08 Stang. The only thing the dealer (and everyone who had an opinion either way) said was to NOT REDLINE IT whatsoever. My RPM's never touched 4000RPM during my first 2000 miles.

I had a friend with a lift show me how to go about doing an oil change on my car as I am VERY automotive illiterate. I was forced to wait until well after 3000 miles before my first change. This friend of mine (a mechanic most of his life and a former Ford dealer mechanic), explained that our cars come with a lot of additives and cleaning agents in the oil from the factory and that it's better for these additives and cleaners to circulate through the system for longer than the standard oil change period. Makes sense to me. I trust what he has to say, and I'll pass it along to you with the confidence that it's accurate. I got my first oil change at 3900 miles instead of 3000. I have since put another 3100 miles on the car, but the oil looks clean, so I will change it when I get the chance.

Hope this helps!
I've occasionally broken 4000 rpm, but that was under heavy acceleration (like passing).

I've also heard that this it is good or bad to use the full throttle at periods to help break in. But yeah, I've stayed away from the 6000rpm mark for sure.

Thanks for your input
Old 04-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I always just take it a little easy for a couple hundred miles, then drive the car normally after that. I've had many new cars and haven't had any issues so far. No need to change the oil after 1000 miles, but some people do it. I do think 7500 miles is a bit for a stretch on the interval. I do 5000 on my F-150 even though it calls for 7500. The Mustang is a weekend toy, so I change it once per year.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 AM
abecker

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I always just take it a little easy for a couple hundred miles, then drive the car normally after that. I've had many new cars and haven't had any issues so far. No need to change the oil after 1000 miles, but some people do it. I do think 7500 miles is a bit for a stretch on the interval. I do 5000 on my F-150 even though it calls for 7500. The Mustang is a weekend toy, so I change it once per year.
Would you say over 500 miles would be ok to start driving normally?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:23 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

shhhheeeeeeet..ive been pedal to the floor since i got the car with 150miles on it...i have no self control when it comes to goin fast though...im at 8k now and shes still runnin like new...i figure, anything breaks..ill upgrade it
Old 04-12-2009, 02:38 AM
abecker

Originally Posted by abecker
Would you say over 500 miles would be ok to start driving normally?
I'd like to know if I can get back to running with running cruise control on the interstates (like I do on my older car)?

Moving speeds around and gears in city interstate traffic (chicago anyone?) is amazing because of the passing power; but in open ended interstates it just kills fuel economy.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:01 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GeritGoul
shhhheeeeeeet..ive been pedal to the floor since i got the car with 150miles on it...i have no self control when it comes to goin fast though...im at 8k now and shes still runnin like new...i figure, anything breaks..ill upgrade it
Or sell it. You've stomped out it's honeypot. That thing will be belching oil past the rings with an UnGodly tick and a blue cloud by the time she sees 50K. Doughnuts, brake slipping bunouts for length...hmm...you ought to wear a piece of duct tape across your forehead reading "I HAVE NO PATIENCE" The ladies will be lining up...
Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I think 500 miles is fine, you should be good to go. Don't baby it for TOO long, it'll get used to it.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
Or sell it. You've stomped out it's honeypot. That thing will be belching oil past the rings with an UnGodly tick and a blue cloud by the time she sees 50K. Doughnuts, brake slipping bunouts for length...hmm...you ought to wear a piece of duct tape across your forehead reading "I HAVE NO PATIENCE" The ladies will be lining up...
nono lol...i havent gotten that crazy with her...no burnouts or donuts and probably never will with this car...ive popped the clutch a couple times but not at high rmps...i meant i just give er extra gas more often than i should...im not that crazy

Quick Reply: Breaking in new 2009 GT?