Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

which supercharger?saleen vs paxton

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by STANMAN
I have 4.10's with the Saleen on their one size smaller than stock pulley, putting 470 to the tire. You need good tires to make it hook (I run 305/45/18 Mikeys), but yeah, it's a very good choice. Never liked the looks of centris, they make the underhood look cluttered. Here's a pic of how mine looks (mind you, it's a super shaker).

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...installed.html
To be putting down 470 at the rear wheels with a 3.6 inch pully means you must have a cam and long tube headers. I have the Saleen two sizes down (3.4 inch) and I only dyno 448 hp to the rear wheels.

Note the stock 7 psi Saleen Supercharger has 3.8X pulley.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:37 AM
dolint95
1st Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpf8KZpbPXE
Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 AM
bynumj
1st Gear Member

Default Installing the V3

I installed the V3 non-cooled kit over Memorial Day weekend. I also installed the CMDP and 160 degree thermostat at the same time.

The kit came with the AIT relocation kit. I soldered all my connections and used shrink tube on the wires. I took my time and made sure that all the wires were covered with wire looms and the hoses were fit nicely.

Do not forget that if you are doing the AIT relocate that you need to get a 3/8-18 NPT (nominal pipe thread) tap at a hardware store and use a 9/16 progressive drill bit (use Teflon paste).

Make sure that you measure all wire to be soldered before actually solder it. The power steering relocate was a big pain to get it fitted right (tight around the wiring) and draining the power steering fluid was a pain. Remember that if you are trimming the hoses to exact length to think about what will be in the path before you cut it.

You definitely want to get ratchet box end wrenches for mounting the S/C to the mounting plate. Make sure that you torque the bolt to the right values. The install guide is void of this information. You can get it off the web.

It will take you at least two full days to do the install if you are being meticulous and taking your time. If you have someone to help, it will go faster.

This is by far the best mod you will make for the money!
Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 AM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AKRA
To be putting down 470 at the rear wheels with a 3.6 inch pully means you must have a cam and long tube headers. I have the Saleen two sizes down (3.4 inch) and I only dyno 448 hp to the rear wheels.

Note the stock 7 psi Saleen Supercharger has 3.8X pulley.
Long tubes yes, cams no. This graph was before the super shaker, I should have "a little" more now.....and it's a Dynojet, if you're on a Mustang dyno, expect 10% higher on a Dynojet.
Attached Thumbnails which supercharger?saleen vs paxton-cool-20run.jpg  
Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dolint95
I agree with the Whipple over the Saleen....by far. Procharger over Paxton? NO. I did the research because I thought the same thing, I fell in love with the sloppy loud noise of the procharger, but it doesn't make the power that a Paxton can first of all, and second of all they are not nearly at DRIVABLE. I called Brenspeed, the best mustang tuner in the United States right now and they won't even tune for a Procharger because of the drivability issues. I did my extensive research before I dropped all that money trust me, and on top of that I thought the same thing. I wanted the procharger over the paxton, but after a month of research....Paxton is the way to go. And the vacuum release on the Paxton is my NO MEANS quiet. It has a great sound at idle and cruise speeds, people that know anything about cars know you have something nasty under the hood. Good luck with whatever you choose tho! As far as twin screw, the whipple is one hundred times better than the saleen. You crank a saleen to 19 psi and it's gonna be cryin that it can't handle it....on the other hand, the whipple will push 20 psi no problem...much for room to work with in the future.
What kind of driveability issues are we talking about here. The procharger owners that i know are extremely happy and have had no problems whatsoever.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

+1, I was kind of shocked with the whole not liking prochargers on this thread... and to the original post, was a decision made as to which supercharger?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:51 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

From what i have heard on paxton supercharger reviews is that they have to be repaired regularly. I wanted a paxton at one point but almost everyone had the same review. Most of them stated that they had repair issues with very low miles, but also stated was it made amazing power when it worked properly. But all in all form the reviews there were more unsatisfied paxton owners than satisfied.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 PM
dolint95
1st Gear Member

well i only have about a thousand miles on mine so far, but so far so good....where are you seeing all these "bad" reviews from? could you copy and paste some of the sites, I would like to read some of what you are talking about so I can be aware of some the these "issues" and know to look for certain things..
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I have not heard of any persistent issues with the Paxton before. I have however, heard of random issues with virtually every system on the market. Its safe to assume when looking around on the internet that it is far more common for people with problems to be sounding off. How often do you see posts of people saying things like "Hey guys, just wanted to let you know my car is working perfectly. kthxbye"