Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Computer fried (According to the dealer)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

Default Computer fried (According to the dealer)...

So, over about a 3 week span, my "Failsafe Engine Mode" came on 3 times when I was driving. So, after researching it in the forums, it looked like it might be a throttle sensor. So, I take it to my dealer, which I thought I had a good relationship with, cause I still have my warranty. They have it 5 days.

Side note: I have a JLTII and a Bama 93 race in it.

SO, the tech at the dealer tells me that he's seen this a hundred times, when a Tuner is used on a Mustang or a Diesel motor that a Module/computer goes bad. So, I start to look into the forums again and can't find anything close to this. He then proceeds to tell me that the tune that comes stock is the most the motor can handle and that people shouldn't use tuners with their cars.

This friday, I am heading to Brenspeed to get my Vortech V3 installed, so I got a little worried about the install. I called Brenspeed and told them about the dealer, the tech basically said that the Ford Tech doesn't know what he's talking about.

Has ANYONE heard of this or had this happen?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Brenspped is right...they will take care of you....great installer and tuner and the Ford tech is talking out of his ***!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:06 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Hes preprogrammed by Ford for that response.
Like little underpaid worker bees.

Have him define 'fried' if you are still able to drive it.
Its either working correctly or incorrectly, no inbetweens.

Last edited by 157dB; 06-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If your PCM was fried your car would not be driveable except possinly in limp mode at all times. Considering how many of us have tunes and that you're the only one I've heard mention this, it only confirms that the tech's head is up Ford's azz.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 PM
OSUTX440
3rd Gear Member

Ok, check this out. The tech tells me this morning that my car is done and I can pick it up. So, just for ***** and giggles, I take my old KandN FIPK CAI into the dealer. The tech tells me that the car is giving him a "lean" code, I am assuming this because my JLT is still on with the stock settings. So, I personally, go out and change my own CAI at the dealer in their lot. He then tells me that that are going to check it again.

Two hours later, he calls me and says he can't get the car to start. He also informs me that he is done working on my car, and that he has spent too many man hours on it. Mind you, it is still under warranty. So, tommorrow morning, I have to go pick up my car, that doesn't start, hook up my Diablosport to it, and try to reprogram it at the shop. Does anyone else see anything wrong with this?

I took them a working car, they are giving me back on that won't start.

Does anyone know of a shop near Columbus or Dayton, OHIO? PLEASE!!!!!!

Ok, I'm done venting.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would want to know what the dealership did to try and fix the problem. Most dealers are *** ignorant when it comes to modifying anything in the PCM. You mention one thing to them and they freak out. Anyways, have brenspeed take a look at it and they will take care of you.

If I were you, I would put it back the way you got it or call brenspeed, explain your issue, they will send you a tune. I imagine if you are a future paying customer or already have put down a deposit on the SC they will want to make you happy.

Youcould try to put your JLT2 and a tune back in and try to start it.

Then drive out of the parking lot with your middle finger in the air laying down two long black marks.

The end
Old 06-30-2009, 11:36 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OSUTX440
Two hours later, he calls me and says he can't get the car to start. He also informs me that he is done working on my car, and that he has spent too many man hours on it.
Man, I can't even begin to describe what's wrong with this. He's put too many man hours into a car that's still under warranty? I don't think I'd be anywhere but lining up a swift kick to the *** after a statement like that.

I'd go back to the dealership and point out that A) the car is in worse shape than when it arrived, B)If they try to feed you crap that they can't work on the engine because of the tune/CAI just drill them on the fact that they put so many man hours into it and that didn't seem to be a problem before. The key being, go all psychological on their ***. It seems most of them turn into deer in headlights when you move outside of everything they're used to (read: outright bitching).
Old 07-01-2009, 07:08 AM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

Yea if u go raise hell and talk to the management u might get something done
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yea, go postal and keep reaching for an imaginary gun...
(see: Gran Torino)
Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

What codes are showing up in the hand held tuner? Oh yeah, and Gran Torino is a great movie.

Quick Reply: Computer fried (According to the dealer)...