Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2 problems with my GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM
mhorner001

Default 2 problems with my GT

I've got 2 problems that may be related but I'm not sure.

The first occurs when the temp seems to be cooler. After she's sat for a while, my GT starts fine but when I start moving, she doesn't seem to accelerate like she should, and then when I push in the clutch, I get a few pops from the exhaust and the car seems to bog down for a moment as the clutch engages. It's a pain since I try to always do my best to shift smoothly and kind of upsetting.

The other has to do with accelerating and this "take off" I get. I'll be enjoying a stoplight start, not doing anything crazy but using that wonderful engine and trannie, when she won't accelerate as she should but then it's like something opens up and she takes off. It's a pretty abrupt transition. At first I thought it might be a clutch problem but after reading some posts here I don't think it is. It doesn't always happen, only sometimes when I want to have some fun.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Not sure about the 1st issue but with the 2nd, are you having this when accelerating at WOT only? If so, try turning of the TCS. Having it on can inhibit power under hard acceleration.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 AM
mhorner001

It's not at WOT. I'm not doing anything crazy and the TCS light never comes on.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by mhorner001
I've got 2 problems that may be related but I'm not sure.

The first occurs when the temp seems to be cooler. After she's sat for a while, my GT starts fine but when I start moving, she doesn't seem to accelerate like she should, and then when I push in the clutch, I get a few pops from the exhaust and the car seems to bog down for a moment as the clutch engages. It's a pain since I try to always do my best to shift smoothly and kind of upsetting.
Giver some more gas and get the RPMs up to eliminate take-off bog and next gear bogs as well.
The other has to do with accelerating and this "take off" I get. I'll be enjoying a stoplight start, not doing anything crazy but using that wonderful engine and trannie, when she won't accelerate as she should but then it's like something opens up and she takes off. It's a pretty abrupt transition. At first I thought it might be a clutch problem but after reading some posts here I don't think it is. It doesn't always happen, only sometimes when I want to have some fun.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your thoughts.
1) after sitting for a while....
And the cats and O2 sensors have cooled down as well??
When you first start up and take off and then the muffler
pops? I would guess you are still in open loop mode for
the fuel managment system.....

2) Its the Chrage Motion plates in the intake transitioning
from partially closed for low end torque to wide open for
higher rev power....

Last edited by 157dB; 08-29-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Regarding the popping my exhaust does that sometimes as well when the car is cold. I know that I've seen posts from other people who are using muffler deletes/boomtubes/loudmouths as well speaking of the same thing. If you have stock mufflers though this wouldn't apply.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Tune or no tune?

I'm leaning toward both are normal, although it's really tough to say over the internet. The cold starts do mess with the driveability a bunch, but it's the nature of the beast. The bogging down is also normal, but seems to be different between stock tune and aftermarket tune. When using the stock tune, there was definitely more lag/bog down low, but I did not notice as much of an abrupt pick up once the RPMs were at 3k or so. With an aftermarket tune, the low end lag is definitely reduced, although not eliminated. The big difference, though, is the boost you get once you hit 3k; it's like there's a small turbo on the car! The aftermarket tuners have really been able to take advantage of the VCT to get more power out of these engines, but they still prefer higher RPMs.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:57 PM
mhorner001

Thanks for the help. She's bone stock so at least I know that it's normal for her to be like that. Oh well, guess I'll just have to give her more gas when I start off and get the revs up as soon as I can. Oh Darn!