Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Comparison, Hurst vs MGW shifters

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

I didn't read any other posts because there is not competition MGM without a doubt.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007VistaBlueGT
I didn't read any other posts because there is not competition MGM without a doubt.
MGM, like the studio?
Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM
RyanV

On the "greased up, blah blah blah" description of the MGW
+1 here in a BIG WAY.

I just equipped an MGW yesterday, with Granatelli Motor Mounts and CHE/Torque Limiter brace, and the shifting is now beautiful, whereas before It was pitiful.

Also, later in the post, the MGW is compared to the hurst, and it is true that the hurst is also a lesser looking component, made in a similar fashion to the stock shifter, which is pathetic looking when removed. The MGW is a solid billet block with quality components and mounting design, not to mention the Dynamat, rubber dust/dirt seal, 1/2 inch foam mat and overkill dust boot that is also shipped with this kit, for those worried about spending an extra $100 for the MGW vs. the hurst (made in CHINA btw), dont cry when you miss second or third and lose a race or you can hear everything going on underneath of your vehicle through the gaping hole that is there with the stock and Hurst Shifters, sorry, rant over!!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyanV
Also, later in the post, the MGW is compared to the hurst, and it is true that the hurst is also a lesser looking component, made in a similar fashion to the stock shifter, which is pathetic looking when removed. The MGW is a solid billet block with quality components and mounting design, not to mention the Dynamat, rubber dust/dirt seal, 1/2 inch foam mat and overkill dust boot that is also shipped with this kit, for those worried about spending an extra $100 for the MGW vs. the hurst (made in CHINA btw), dont cry when you miss second or third and lose a race or you can hear everything going on underneath of your vehicle through the gaping hole that is there with the stock and Hurst Shifters, sorry, rant over!!
Looks cannot be part of your "my shifter is better than yours" argument. Some people like the look of a taller, meaty, old-school shifter. Some people like the import-racer short-shift look. To each his own. I personally am on the fence about both, quiet easy operation vs. raunchy, rough, and loud.

Perhaps for the billet design - you got me there. Definitely a nicer piece. But sound insulation and oversized rubber boots - c'mon. Really? $25 bucks and you can line the whole transmission yourself.

People who miss shifts are people who need to buy automatics. I currently have the stock shifter - I have never missed a gear. You can't even relate missing shifts to a solid shifter. It's all in the skill of the driver. The syncros in the transmission don't change when you swap out a shifter, you know . The noise under the car is low enough that I can talk to anyone on the phone or in the car without a problem, speaker or not.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:37 AM
RyanV

Touche, maybe I went a little overboard with my rant, glad to see another MD member on here!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:52 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
You can't even relate missing shifts to a solid shifter. It's all in the skill of the driver. The syncros in the transmission don't change when you swap out a shifter, you know .
No, the synchro's don't change out... but the the shifter can rnake a difference. The shifter is not rnounted to the tranny, but instead to the body. A shifter that has harder bushings and less flex in it overall will be less prone to rnissing a gear. As the shifter flexes against the bushings and the brace rod, it is farther and farther out of position that the throw rod needs to be in to get into the gear.

So rnuch for just getting sorne raw nurnbers up on rneasurents to help people decide which they wants to buy... thanks for starting a rant/flarne war...