Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I buy or not 06 Gt

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 01:55 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Should I buy or not 06 Gt

I am looking for an s197 with an auto to run at my track. I use to run my vipertruck but its just too difficult to be consistant shifting those gears. My track runs a win or go home format so having an auto is a huge plus.

I have found an 06 gt with the deluxeinterior(nothing deluxe about it IMO). Pros, only 16k miles, is in very good condition. Previous owner installed spintech mufflers and x pipe. It has a nice tone. Cons: satin silver color (boring to me) light grey interior (very drab and plain IMO). The combo of silver and light grey are screaming for some contrast big time.

Dealer is wiling to sell 2k under kbb as its been on their lot for 4 months.

Is there any tsb's for the 06 that I should know about? Any known issues with 06 that I should check for. The 36 month warranty is toast on this car but it does have a limited powertrain one. What that truly means I do not know.

In my research I have found there is tons of aftermarket for these cars which is very cool. 4.10 gears and a tune would be my first mods. Second would be the TCI shifter. http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Shifters/streetfighter/
The stock black plastic unit leaves a lot to be desired.

Any input will help...thanks..

patrick
Old 10-04-2009, 02:46 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Here's a quick rundown of the "big" issues (although it probably isn't complete):

1. Passenger side water leak (search this site and you will find all kinds of info)
2. Front struts make noise; there's a TSB and updated mounts that fix this problem.
3. Rear-end clutch packs can whine on low speed turns; also a TSB and I think they replace the clutch packs and add a different additive to fix the issue.
4. Fuel pump can cause hesitation after long cruise; TSB and upgraded fuel pump.
5. 2-piece plug design is....awful...lots of people are breaking them trying to get them out of the head. There's a nice fat TSB out on this, too, but it's apparently still quite stressful to change out plugs. One-piece plugs are available from Champion and probably a few others.
6. E-brake can freeze up (not sure where you live, but it might be an issue).

Not trying to deter you; I personally really like my car, but you did ask
Old 10-04-2009, 03:27 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Good list Hypro... I had read about some of them. Live on Maui so freezing hasnt been a problem yet! LOL

I see you had the 06 water leak edition. Is it possible to inspect the carpets or ? to see if it has been happening? Did you lemon yours over this issue?
Why is changing plugs so difficult on new cars? On my vipertruck you literally have to remove the intake manifold to get to them all! Sucks!!
The clutch packs....are you referring to the rear end? I plan to swap out to 4.10's. Any issues?

thanks dude

patrick
Old 10-04-2009, 04:36 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Add defective battery, and paint bubbling on the underside and front of the aluminum hood to the list.

You should be able to smell a mildew odor on the carpeting if water had been leaking onto the passenger's side footwell.

The spark plugs are difficult to change because they are prone to breaking while being removed due to 2 reasons:
- The shank on the bottom half of the plug is smooth(the plug does not thread all the way down to the bottom of the plug port in the head).
- The plug is a 2-piece design.
Carbon thus tends to build up between the shank's OD and the ID of the bottom half of the plug port, which causes the plug to become stuck inside the head port. And the 2-piece design reduces the plug's max torque capacity, which causes the plug to break into 2 pieces when excessive torque is applied to the stuck plug. So the owner ends up with half of the plug in his hand, and the other half stuck inside the head.
Ford changed the head design on S197 GT's in the latter half of 2008, which allowed the use of one-piece plugs that are threaded to the bottom of the head port, and supposedly solved the plug breakage problem.

Last edited by ski; 10-04-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ski pretty much summed it up. Regarding the leak issue, I would seriously request to have a hose /shower run over the car, specifically in the cowl area. I would suggest pulling the passenger side kick panel (or at least the fuse box flap/door in it) and reaching down to the floor, underneath the carpet to feel if it is moist. It shouldn't be too difficult to tell though; at one point I was able to tell that water was freely dripping onto the electrical box in that area, at night, WHILE DRIVING. It was that bad...

I ended up filing a claim with the BBB and Ford eventually offered to buy my car back. It did cost me some, and if I had to do it again knowing what I know now I would have tapped into my Lemon Law rights and probably would have been out less money, but in the end I have an 2008 that doesn't leak, runs great, has heated seats, etc, etc, so I can't complain.

Yes, the clutch packs I mentioned are in the rear-end. I can't really comment on the gear question, other than to say that a lot of folks have swapped out gears with little or no issue. I have not done so myself, though.