Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I've got 10(ish) grand to spend...here's my thoughts, now I need yours!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bobby1110
very true
I hate to keep pointing this out, but are you ever going to fix the word "sponsors" in your sig?

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
You just need to sit down and figure out what your "over all goal" is for your car. Once you figure that out you will be able to pick the parts you need to make it happen. If your planning on going with big power then like others have said, "build your lower end first". Lots of good S/C's out and good Turbo's too but, you need to figure out "how" you want your power to be applyed for the type of driving you do. TC & Centy's apply power diffrantly so do your research first, and then pick the one you want.
What he said.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

I have to agree with PHX, the 4.10s are too steep. 3.73 is perfect. Just my two sense. I am not a fan of turbos and the lag and partial to the whipple...
Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 PM
bullitt2086
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bobby1110
what makes you say "the only way i would advise you to go turbo is if you plan on building your bottom end." that is not true at all, where did you pull that from.
turbos are for people trying to achieve higher hp applications in my book as stated befor in my previouse post i would not, nor would i recommend putting more than 500 rwhp on our stock internals and as a side note turbo engines are a bit tougher to tune or should i say find a good tuner for. also turbos heat up like hell and we all no that heat is a killer for engines. im not tryting to start a war just stating wat i have heard and experienced as i had a 2001 bullitt with a turbo setup.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 AM
bobby1110
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=EagleStroker;6596413]I hate to keep pointing this out, but are you ever going to fix the word "sponsors" in your sig?

i never say even saw that. that is a mistake from the guy that made it for me.

and to bullitt2086 you are wrong about turbos i made 460hp and 470trq with my stock motor on 6-7psi so you can make them do really good on a stock motor. and it is no harder to tune then a supercharged or n/a car. yes turbos build up heat but there are several things you can do about this. a turbo blanket, coat all the hot pipes, and wrap them in fiberglass. my engine bay isnt no more hotter then when i was n/a. plus when you do stuff like that they spool up way quicker. i under stand you are not trying to start something and i am not either but i just wanted to get of the facts about the turbo stuff.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=bobby1110;6599281]
Originally Posted by EagleStroker
I hate to keep pointing this out, but are you ever going to fix the word "sponsors" in your sig?

i never say even saw that. that is a mistake from the guy that made it for me.

and to bullitt2086 you are wrong about turbos i made 460hp and 470trq with my stock motor on 6-7psi so you can make them do really good on a stock motor. and it is no harder to tune then a supercharged or n/a car. yes turbos build up heat but there are several things you can do about this. a turbo blanket, coat all the hot pipes, and wrap them in fiberglass. my engine bay isnt no more hotter then when i was n/a. plus when you do stuff like that they spool up way quicker. i under stand you are not trying to start something and i am not either but i just wanted to get of the facts about the turbo stuff.
I generally agree with everything you say, however . . . I have spoke with several tuners. Eric Brooks, Adam Montague, Tony with HP Tuners and another which I forget his name. They have all stated that turbos are the most difficult form of Fi to tune on our cars. Alot more variables than isuues with drivability, tip in, boost onset etc.

That being said, is you have a good tuner, one with experiencetuning S197s and turbos, and he lives somewhere near you for future tuning, I would go turbo. If not I would go with a twin screw blower of some type.

To answer the OPS original question . . .

For 10k I would do the following,

For a street car I would:

Get a twin screw blower (KB, Saleen, E Force or Whipple), complete with all the fuel componets. $6200 ish

Short throw shifter (I like the PRO50) $300 ish

LCA, UCA, Panhard, Reclocates, Eibach pros, tokico D specs, $1200 ish

cheap 17' wheels (OEM take offs) with DRs on them $500 ish.

Use the rest for appearance stuff such as the hoos you were talking about.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

im almost saved up but i plan on going procharger intercooled, to the OP i would def. do a intercooled system for 3 k more , in my book and what ive seen, a intercooled SC would be a perfect compliment to the stang.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 PM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Be smart and do it right the first time... If it's me with the money, I would do this:

1. Build the motor = ~$2500 THE RIGHT WAY
2. Power Adder of some sort, turbo or blower = ~$6000 installed THE RIGHT WAY
3. Suspension and dedicated set of track tires OR upgrade the transmission and subsequent parts = $1500 installed

There you go... $10k gone and spent the right way, the car will still be daily drivable and you will have no need to worry if your car can be pushed, because it will take it like an asian hooker in Vietnam
Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by antonio1988
1. Build the motor = ~$2500 THE RIGHT WAY
If you build the motor up for only $2500, it ain't the right way.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
If you build the motor up for only $2500, it ain't the right way.
I agree. That's only parts and machining. Add another $1500 at the minimum for labor from installer to pull and assemble motor.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Put your 10 grand in the bank if that's all you have to spend cause when you do a build up it ALWAYS costs more than what you originally think.

Quick Reply: I've got 10(ish) grand to spend...here's my thoughts, now I need yours!!