Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

shaft masters now advertizing direct bolt in aluminum d/s no adapter needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Default shaft masters now advertizing direct bolt in aluminum d/s no adapter needed!

http://shaftmasters.com/3aldrfomu20v4.html
Old 02-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Galactic
1st Gear Member

Yep it's been on the site for about 2 weeks now. I just ordered mine.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:09 AM
NOTSTOCK

Default Need some help.

I'm in the middle of installing my shaftmasters direct bolt and I'm having some problems. It didn't come with any instructions at all. The problem I'm having is at the axle. They provided 6 hex bolts, to be used on the pinion plate I assume, but you can't get a hex bit in to torque them down because the u-joint is in the way. From what I read in Taco Bills post (he installed a similar ds but with an adapter) you reuse the 4 bolts from the trani output. A little difficult to Torq, but not like the back ones. Has anyone else installed this and if so how do you tighten and torq the rear u-joint plate to the axle pinion?
Old 02-13-2010, 01:24 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOTSTOCK
I'm in the middle of installing my shaftmasters direct bolt and I'm having some problems. It didn't come with any instructions at all. The problem I'm having is at the axle. They provided 6 hex bolts, to be used on the pinion plate I assume, but you can't get a hex bit in to torque them down because the u-joint is in the way. From what I read in Taco Bills post (he installed a similar ds but with an adapter) you reuse the 4 bolts from the trani output. A little difficult to Torq, but not like the back ones. Has anyone else installed this and if so how do you tighten and torq the rear u-joint plate to the axle pinion?
I used a ratchet with hex bit and a short extenstion from what i remember. i didnt have any access problems. only had to rotate the ds in order to tighten all the bolts. i did'nt use a torque wrench, did'nt need it, my right arm is calibrated spot on.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Galactic
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NOTSTOCK
Haven't installed mine yet (nor received it) but it looks like those 6 hex are for an adapter plate not used on that setup. I can only imagine to use the same bolts that came off the old DS. Also call shaftmasters I can only imagine they would be very helpful.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...S/IMG_2470.jpg
Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I'm ordering one of these as well, so let me know what works the best for ya as far as the installation process.....

Last edited by wilkinda; 02-13-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
NOTSTOCK

Originally Posted by Galactic
Haven't installed mine yet (nor received it) but it looks like those 6 hex are for an adapter plate not used on that setup. I can only imagine to use the same bolts that came off the old DS. Also call shaftmasters I can only imagine they would be very helpful.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1...S/IMG_2470.jpg
I appreciate you all trying to help. This set up on the new shaft is different from that pic. That would be easier! That pic shows the adapater plate and then the u joint from the DS attaches to it with 4 bolts. Similar to the front. This DS just has a one piece u joint/adapater and you can't use a hex bit and ratchet to tighten. I did email shaftmasters and they said to just use the short side of an allen wrench for the parts closest to the u joints. I guess I'm going to have to go find a really short allen wrench. I was wanting to do this right and torque them appropriately, but I don't have a tq wrench that accepts the long part of a allen wrench. I'll try to get a pic up on here to show exactly what I mean. I'm going back out now to finish this thing up.

I will say this...doing the DS and the hurst at the same time is the way to go! Made the hurst part A LOT easier!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM
shaftmasters

David,
The 2 rear hex bolts that you can get to with a torque wrench should be torqued to 72ft-lb. The 4 bolts that you will need the "short arm" of an allen wrench will have to be done by "feel".
-Shaftmasters Inc
Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 PM
NOTSTOCK

starting a new thread to discuss complete install
Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 AM
rneely2111
2nd Gear Member

How easy is it to install? I was wondering if I should try to do it myself or pay to have someone do it. I am not very experienced. The only thing I have ever done is put a cai on and replaced the alternator on my 2006.