Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Full exhaust mods: pre- and post- SC

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Default Full exhaust mods: pre- and post- SC

Hey guys.

So I figured alot of you missed answering stupid questions that everyone else on here knows already, so I'm turning to all of you for all my modding needs.

I have yet to add any mods other than a Roush short-throw. I'm all jazzed up about increasing performance, so now I'm just trying to make sure I spend my $$ wisely to do this. Eventually i plan to SC, dinero permitting.

I've already gotten the advice of a few starting mods: gears, then exhaust, tune, and SC.

The gears are easy, just pick a number and throw them in the back.

I'm looking at emissions friendly exhaust (NJ and PA both check) that will eventually be able to handle all the extra juice coming from a FRPP SC. I understand long-pipe headers are really necessary for that, so I'm hoping for some advice (not just "it's all personal preference") on headers, midpipe, and catbacks to accomodate the final SC, but that won't cause me any issues in the months or years that I'm still NA.

My only real personal preference is that I favor performance over sound. I know exhaust upgrades do add to the Mustang's growl, and I'm cool with that, but I favor bite over bark.

Thanks for the time guys, and speak slowly. This is still pretty new to me. I realize alot of you veterans will probably have to hit yourself in the head a few times with a hammer just to get down to my level of noobness.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Considering American Speed put down 497 rwhp with the standard pulley on the FRPP Kit (with VMP Custom Tune) through the full stock exhaust and runs 11.3 at almost 123 mph with stock 3.55's I think I can safely say the headers are not required. As matter of fact Im not sure I would want to do anything to add even more power to the stock short-block

With a 2010 you already have a decent air intake that flows almost as well as some CAI's. I would just buy a Tuner with a decent mailorder tune on it and call it a day if a SC is in the plans Use the extra funds to save toward the $6300 price of the Blower Kit.

Last edited by Gene K; 03-13-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Oh, no kidding.

So you're saying that I could get somewhere around 497rwhp with just a good tune and FRPP SC, without changing ANY of my exhaust system? That would actually be awesome to save that kind of money up for the SC anyway.

You think with just upgrading to 3.73s, Tune, and SC I'd get that kind of performance??

I think you just made my day.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:14 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

if you're thinking about a supercharger kit at all then don't waste your money on other parts. nothing will give you as good of a HP per dollar ratio as the supercharger kit will, whatever kit you pick.

there's a lot of heated discussion about whether headers and X pipes add power once you're supercharged. for me personally even if there's 10-20whp to be made you're spending thousands of dollars to get that 10-20whp. you'd be better off saving some more and gaining 200whp! and any money spent on exhaust now just puts you further away from your goal of getting boost later.

my only first hand supercharger experience on the mustang was with my buddy's 04 GT and a Kenne Bell kit. on his car he added long tubes and an off road X pipe and didn't gain any power over what Kenne Bell said he would get with the blower alone. other people may have different results but that what happened in his case.

I know that Kenne Bell has a 50 state legal kit that should get you through the emissions and inspections no problem. I'm guessing that the FRPP kits that keep your warranty intact should also be CARB legal too but I don't know for sure. there has to be other CARB legal kits out there.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

So the main idea is that the stock system can handle the extra exhaust a SC would create, right? After spending that much to supercharge, I'd want to get as many horses as it can put out.