Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How to tune an ECU after adding cold air induction, turbo etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Default How to tune an ECU after adding cold air induction, turbo etc.

Firstly , please excuse all my questions on the forums; I am knew to this and just have a large passion for cars . If you do not mind me asking, can anyone explain how to properly tune an ECU after adding cold air induction, turbo, etc ?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:47 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Don't know if I'm answering this correctly, however, most of use get a combo deal with a intake and a flash device that tunes your car. Either a canned tune which comes with a SCT flash device or a "custom/email" tune from brenspeed or bama for example. I have a JLT CIA w/ a bama Race/tq tune. I have never used a "canned" tune, but from my research on here, it does not compare to a email tune.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

you can tune it your slef if thats what your asking i do that to my gto BUT i did take over 10K in classes.
and you must know how an engine works and what all the sensors do before you would want to atempt to tune it yourself other than that it is fairly simple once you know how and why you are doing what you are doing
Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 AM
explict
4th Gear Member

Basically buy a tuner (a handheld device that plugs into your car and changes the tune on the cars ECU[Diablosport, SCT etc]) and get tunes from a tuner (Shop that tunes cars)

Tell the tuners what you have done to your car, they will make up a tune and send it via e-mail.

Or you can go to a shop with a dyno and get a good tune using the dyno and your handheld tuner. (usually cars with bigger mods, turbos blowers etc...)

Handheld Tuners:
http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...uter-c-576_784

Tuners:
http://www.brenspeed.com/

Last edited by explict; 04-06-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

when I build my motor I'm going to do all the tuning myself at that point, until then I'm running Kenne Bell's stock tune. if you have a simple setup you're just as well off getting an email tune from a reputable shop. even running a boosted setup plenty of guys are doing fine on KB's tune or a Whipple tune form Brenspeed.

lots of people swear you have to custom tune every car since they're all different. that's only really true if you're tuning it to the ragged edge for the last 1hp. it's also faulty logic since every car ships with the same tune and most dyno very similar numbers bone stock on the same type of dyno. if every car was different and needed custom tunes then you'd see a wide variety in power numbers. if you're leaving a margin of safety in the tune (which you should anyway in case of bad gas or weather changes) then a canned tune is fine, just make sure the shop has a good rep.

I'd rather make a little less hp and drive my car without any problems then tune it to the edge, have a nice dyno number, then blow up two weeks later. and like someone else mentioned, a real tuner is able to diagnose problems and should know the setup he's working with inside and out. it's not rocket science to just add timing to an existing tune and a real tuner will get all the part throttle stuff done right, that's harder than tuning WOT.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

yeah if you dont know how or why to tune then go with a hand held tuner and a tune from brenspeed but if you do it just takes time (usually 2-4 hours) depending on what your doing
Old 04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Thanks so muchh everyone for the great input. Everyone here helpedd a lot . If you wondering, I have been asking because I plan on purchasing a Mustang GT for my first car, and am certain that later on, I will be making performance upgrades, not only exterior upgrades.