Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone have problems going from second to third under hard acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

I have heard powershifting is very bad for the car. And don't you loose traction going from 1st to 2nd while doing that?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Power shifting is basically not letting off the throttle while you are between gears. If you are not very quick with the shifts it can be very bad for the transmission as you are introducing high shock loads, and it's probably not real good for the synchros either. If you do it right, though, it is not too bad for the car. No worse than dumping the clutch at 4k rpm!

The opposite of this is rev-matched shifting, which is where you match the engine load to the transmission so that there is no load (either positive or negative) on the transmission, and you can simply slide the shifter out of gear without using the clutch. Then, you bring the revs of the engine up to be where they should be at in the new gear and you can just slide the shifter right into that gear, also without using the clutch. It is difficult to master, and you will f*** up your synchros real quick if you aren't spot-on with the revs! but if you do get good at it, you can significantly reduce wear on the clutch internals. If you are doing it right, it should require no more than one finger's worth of force to slip right in - if you have to force it in any way, you are doing it wrong!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:51 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
that part is not available for 2010 stangs...
http://tinyurl.com/y3uft36

Old 04-09-2010, 07:52 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
So do u have this issue? Did that part fix it for u?
I don't have that installed, I just happened to come across it while looking over parts sites the other day, and it came to mind when I saw this thread.

Here's what one guy had to say though:

"Just wanted to thank you and the R&D guys at the shop for a great product , part # CHE-7LA Torque limiter .
I have an 06' Five speed GT and after the addition of power adders and a one piece drive shaft I was experiencing major drive train vibrations and torque flex from my shift linkage under moderate to heavy acceleration . Your Torque Limiter has eliminated completely ALL vibration and flex of my tranny/drive train in the tunnel ..... I can now row through all 5 gears with my foot jammed to the floor !
I have owned a lot of cool hot rod stuff in my 43 years and just wanted to let you know you guys did and outstanding job with the development of this quick affordable fix . You saved me a huge headache and time , sparing me from the un-needed changing out of motor mounts and urethane bushings and such.
I would bet there are a lot of people out there that have this same issue and don't know of this product . I will spread the word at every track night and car show I attend this year , it is a must have item ..
Thanks again for a quality affordable part (for a change) that does just what you claim it do ! Job well done ..."
Gregg Stockhausen
in St.Louis , MO.