Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spark Plug Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I switched to full synthetic after about 7,000 miles. I used the same weight as stock, Walmart had it in stock and it's cheap there.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I run Amsoil and it goes for 10 k before a change...which is early for their recommendations...as for the discolor on the plugs...the factory did use a type of anti-seize and with carbon build up they do look very strange.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Is this the rust you speak of?

It's not rust, it's combustion byproduct. Who knows what they are putting in this gas.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Swervin309

I bought the car brand spakin' new. Had 5 or 6 miles on it. Since then i've babied it. Oil change every 5k, cleaned the filter (K&N) ever 10k, check fluids frequently. I never really rode it hard until i moved to Atlanta.

Moosestang, that's exactly what it is. Combustion by-product? I'm going to assume that the combustion chamber looks similar. Is there any way to prevent this build-up? Is there a way to clean this crap short of pulling the heads?

Thanks for the oil advice. Pardon my inexperience with these newer engines. I had a 69 Stang coupe with a 351W that i knew inside and out. These aluminum/OHC/fuel injected/computer controlled jobs are new to me.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Swervin309
I bought the car brand spakin' new. Had 5 or 6 miles on it. Since then i've babied it. Oil change every 5k, cleaned the filter (K&N) ever 10k, check fluids frequently. I never really rode it hard until i moved to Atlanta.

Moosestang, that's exactly what it is. Combustion by-product? I'm going to assume that the combustion chamber looks similar. Is there any way to prevent this build-up? Is there a way to clean this crap short of pulling the heads?

Thanks for the oil advice. Pardon my inexperience with these newer engines. I had a 69 Stang coupe with a 351W that i knew inside and out. These aluminum/OHC/fuel injected/computer controlled jobs are new to me.

What kind of gas do you run in the car?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Swervin309

Originally Posted by simplexdesign
What kind of gas do you run in the car?
Either Kroger or Quick Trip. I used Chevron for about 35k but in Atlanta Kroger and QT are cheaper. Cheaper more than likely being the problem.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:28 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Swervin309
Either Kroger or Quick Trip. I used Chevron for about 35k but in Atlanta Kroger and QT are cheaper. Cheaper more than likely being the problem.
I use mostly BP or exxon. Seafoam can clean anything. I've been meaning to get a can and run it through the tank. You can also feed it directly into the intake through a vacuum hose.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Swervin309

Originally Posted by moosestang
I use mostly BP or exxon. Seafoam can clean anything. I've been meaning to get a can and run it through the tank. You can also feed it directly into the intake through a vacuum hose.
I've heard of this stuff before. Got a buddy here that swears by it. There's a $h!t load of vids on YouTube of people using it. I'll give it a try. Thanks a mil.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:51 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Is this the rust you speak of?

It's not rust, it's combustion byproduct. Who knows what they are putting in this gas.

E85 is in almost all fuels and it's very corrosive, eating fuel lines and ruining lots of parts. that's why the mustang's gas cap has a no E85 symbol on it. unfortunately we can't avoid it completely since it's in everything. not that I know for sure that's what's making the plugs look like that but that's my guess.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:11 AM
Swervin309

Originally Posted by candymanjl
E85 is in almost all fuels and it's very corrosive, eating fuel lines and ruining lots of parts. that's why the mustang's gas cap has a no E85 symbol on it. unfortunately we can't avoid it completely since it's in everything. not that I know for sure that's what's making the plugs look like that but that's my guess.
Makes sense. Every pump you see now-a-days has the "may contain up to 10% Ethanol" label. Why can't hippies leave my gas alone?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Issue?