Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Driveshaft or Rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 AM
BlackS281

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Assuming that you have deep enough pockets and the will to spend and spend and spend, to get to 1000 hp....what are you going to do with all those horses? You have hp goals...what for? Have you any idea what it takes to get that power to the ground, even on a prepped surface? And then when you have resolved the traction issues....that is when the stuff starts to break. Wondering where you got that 850 number from?
I understand what your saying. I am going to run some really wide street radials but even with that I don't plan on hooking up from a dead stop. I mostly just go from rolls. Most of the people around here are in the 800hp range that's why.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Most of the people around here are in the 800hp range that's why

Gotta stay competitive...right....sounds like a hard core street-racing crowd. Good luck with your plans.

I also have the MMR 302 stroker 950 (cobra block) in my car. Using a 76m turbo. Just gone to a fuel cell. Had the Fore Precision triple pumps and the GT500 dual pumps before that. Also changed from 60 to 80 lb injectors and from a 4r70w to a 2 speed powerglide this build. With every incremental power increase, the rest of the car has to be upgraded. You don't mention tracking the car, so you can get away with less modding. We have to pay full attention to traction issues. The first 60 feet is real important. A major focus of this build has been weight reduction and relocation.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 05-20-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 PM
BlackS281

Most of the people around here are in the 800hp range that's why

Gotta stay competitive...right....sounds like a hard core street-racing crowd. Good luck with your plans.

I also have the MMR 302 stroker 950 (cobra block) in my car. Using a 76m turbo. Just gone to a fuel cell. Had the Fore Precision triple pumps and the GT500 dual pumps before that. Also changed from 60 to 80 lb injectors and from a 4r70w to a 2 speed powerglide this build. With every incremental power increase, the rest of the car has to be upgraded. You don't mention tracking the car, so you can get away with less modding. We have to pay full attention to traction issues. The first 60 feet is real important. A major focus of this build has been weight reduction and relocation.

Very hardcore indeed.. It's insane what some of these people are making. I'm going to stick with the stock alluminum block on this build. Trying to get an idea on what turbo I should run. Also plan on going to 80lb injectors as well. With the fuel pumps, I'm thinking of running another dual kenne bell pump, what would you recommend on that? Traction is always going to be a problem I can see. I just don't think 11" wide street radials will be enough.
80lb injectors
Old 05-21-2010, 07:08 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Had the dual GT500 pumps with 2 KB BAPs, before going to the Fore Precision triple pumps + megadriver. Not sure at what rwhp we did that switch... I don't pay attention to hp numbers. Maybe around 600+??????. Just switched again to a fuel cell (return style system) located in spare wheel insert. Got to watch when using mutliple pump systems. Had two separate GT500 pump failures that contributed to the last built motor going booooom. Mate of mine about a month ago also lost a built motor due to inadequate fuel delivery under high boost causing leaning

Last edited by forensicsteve; 05-21-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackS281
Thanks for the info... What spline are you running and what kind of locker? I think I might go with 33 or 35 since I plan on making 850rwhp with street radials. What setup overall would you recommend?
Stock axles (31 spline) detroit locker.

I would go 35 spline and a locker if it's going to be street driven @ 850 rwhp. You can also call aubrun and speak with them. They have gear driven LSDs that more street friendly than a locker. A locker and a manual suck. IF you have an auto (which you will have to have at 850 rwhp) they are supposed to be much more tolerable.

If you are going to race. Get a spool.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=BlackS281;7011783]I know. I'm only going to be at 500rwhp with my current setup. I have plans to get a larger turbo and more fuel. The transmission that I have will hold that power.[/QUOTE]

Maybe . . .

People have spoke about how they live for a while but are just not as beefy as the 4r.

I wish you luck none the less.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackS281
Very hardcore indeed.. It's insane what some of these people are making. I'm going to stick with the stock alluminum block on this build. Trying to get an idea on what turbo I should run. Also plan on going to 80lb injectors as well. With the fuel pumps, I'm thinking of running another dual kenne bell pump, what would you recommend on that? Traction is always going to be a problem I can see. I just don't think 11" wide street radials will be enough.
80lb injectors
Who's going to tune this beast?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:49 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Agree with the 4r70w. The sig pic shows car launching hard with the 4r + transbrake and 2 step. After shredding a trutrac, went with full spool, but at that time car had minimal street use. The spool was a major PITA for street driving.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 05-22-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 AM
BlackS281

Red face

Had the dual GT500 pumps with 2 KB BAPs, before going to the Fore Precision triple pumps + megadriver. Not sure at what rwhp we did that switch... I don't pay attention to hp numbers. Maybe around 600+??????. Just switched again to a fuel cell (return style system) located in spare wheel insert. Got to watch when using mutliple pump systems. Had two separate GT500 pump failures that contributed to the last built motor going booooom. Mate of mine about a month ago also lost a built motor due to inadequate fuel delivery under high boost causing leaning
God that's a lot of fuel for 600 hp! I'm trying to figure out what I'm going yo need to make it to 850. Also, you just did exactly what I was thinking about for a fuel cell(5gal) for race gas. Would I need another fuel pump or could I just run a connecting line to the fuel line and have some valve that opened and closed so I could run the pumps I would already have?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 AM
BlackS281

Originally Posted by Simon1
Stock axles (31 spline) detroit locker.

I would go 35 spline and a locker if it's going to be street driven @ 850 rwhp. You can also call aubrun and speak with them. They have gear driven LSDs that more street friendly than a locker. A locker and a manual suck. IF you have an auto (which you will have to have at 850 rwhp) they are supposed to be much more tolerable.

If you are going to race. Get a spool.
Well I just ordered 31 spline pro race axles. I was told that there are people running these axles around where I'm going to
be and they have had many launches on them. Also, I'm running a truetrac so I won't have to hear that annoying noise with the locker. I was also told that running a spool would increase the life of the axles but I wouldn't want it to be a PITA when I'm driving on the street.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft or Rear end?