Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

just don't get it!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 PM
nola504boy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nite
i've asked this question in the past; though i'm aware that info can be purchased from the dmv/rmv, as i used to do it for a living, the reason that most people censor their tags is really just due to a sense of paranoia about loosing some aspect of anonymity they enjoy while on the internet.

the fact is, thieves don't go out of their way to steal cars. they're not surfing the net looking for plates to run at the dmv, and then hunting people down to go their houses and steal their cars. that's the stuff of fiction. they're simply stealing what's available in their areas. even the professionals wouldn't bother taking that route, as they have much more efficient ways of finding the cars that they're looking for.

then there are those concerned about identity theft; you're about a million times more likely to have your identity stolen by using your cc to make a purchase (whether in a store, or online), than by someone running your tag. the fact is, dmv/rmv doesn't provide enough info for someone to steal identities (name, address and other registered vehicles, that's about it).

i've shown all my vehicle's tags online since about the time that folks started posting pics online, and some of those were very sweet rides, and i've had no negative repercussions, not even when i lived in ny and nj.

bottom line, until i hear about a "rash of thieves who are getting their intelligence from people's tags posted online", i'll always feel that the act of censoring tags from online photos is completely irrational, mostly due to folks being misinformed.
Thats the way I feel.Thats why I post this thread just didn't make any sense to me.If someone saw your car on the street they could do this also to find out where you live.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Just start packing some heat.

Thieves beware! Don't make me go Dirty Harry on ya...punk!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Monkeymayhem

i've asked this question in the past; though i'm aware that info can be purchased from the dmv/rmv, as i used to do it for a living, the reason that most people censor their tags is really just due to a sense of paranoia about loosing some aspect of anonymity they enjoy while on the internet.

the fact is, thieves don't go out of their way to steal cars. they're not surfing the net looking for plates to run at the dmv, and then hunting people down to go their houses and steal their cars. that's the stuff of fiction. they're simply stealing what's available in their areas. even the professionals wouldn't bother taking that route, as they have much more efficient ways of finding the cars that they're looking for.

then there are those concerned about identity theft; you're about a million times more likely to have your identity stolen by using your cc to make a purchase (whether in a store, or online), than by someone running your tag. the fact is, dmv/rmv doesn't provide enough info for someone to steal identities (name, address and other registered vehicles, that's about it).

i've shown all my vehicle's tags online since about the time that folks started posting pics online, and some of those were very sweet rides, and i've had no negative repercussions, not even when i lived in ny and nj.

bottom line, until i hear about a "rash of thieves who are getting their intelligence from people's tags posted online", i'll always feel that the act of censoring tags from online photos is completely irrational, mostly due to folks being misinformed.
Bur dude you don't live in L.A.

.... GONE IN 60 Seconds.... lol (halfway joking)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
How? I don't think this data is publicly available. If it was, every hot woman in the country would be at (even greater) risk.
it's not that hard. there was a guy we knew at the car meets who would steal cars. we were acquaintances with him just so he didn't mess with our cars. he would tell us how they stole cars and once you hear someone tell you how they do it you realize how simple it really is. it's not like your average car thieves are college graduates or anything.

you're probably right about the plate, it's not supposed to be public info, but that doesn't mean the thieves don't know someone at the police station, DMV, insurance company, courthouse, or dealership that can look up the info for them. I mean they're thieves right? they do illegal stuff for a living, why wouldn't they be able to find info that's not supposed to be public? half the time the guy we knew would find a car he wanted, get the VIN, and then get his buddy at the dealership to make him a key. then he would go back and just drive off in the car like it was his.

bottom line, if they want your car, they're getting your car, no way to stop it. it doesn't matter if you park it in your garage with an alarm, there's ways around all that. what he said would make it pretty hard was the top of the line clifford alarms with battery backups on everything. so a battery backup on the alarm brain and on the sirens. that way they can't just disconnect the battery and have the alarm go off. it makes it annoying enough they'll go for an easier target. but even if you have those in place if they really want it they can just get a flatbed and tow your car. nobody thinks a car is being stolen when they see it on a tow truck. even if the alarm is going off you just think it got towed for being parked illegally or something.

one time they got a 26 box truck rental then stole the cars and loaded them into the box truck. by the time they got to their dump site the car was completely stripped, crazy stuff.

in the end get insurance that covers everything including your mods and don't worry about it, just enjoy your car. if you worry about it too much then get another car, it's not worth the paranoia.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I got a nice surprise actually two just in case some lowlife enters my casa.....the **** will suffer!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

it's not the thought of theft that bothers me.

it's the bat**** crazy **** who can't seperate reality from fiction. those people are everywhere and the internet gives them an outlet...and multiple victims to persecute.

I hide my plates from those people
Old 06-01-2010, 11:51 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

and i've had no negative repercussions, not even when i lived in ny and nj.
according to the FBI the northeast accounts for only 10% of the nation's auto theft, the south was the worst at 37.8% followed by the west at 33.9% and midwest at 18.3%. so yeah, you live in the least risk zone of the entire nation, of course you're not having problems live in the worst zone like me and you'll be less brazen. end up like me with 3 vehicles stolen in 8 years and you'll blur your licence plate

really in the end when you average out the whole nation the odds are only 315 per 100,000 of getting your car stolen. so while it's something to worry about it's not a huge deal for our cars and it's actually part of the reason I picked the mustang to replace my last stolen car. the mustang isn't on top of the stolen car lists like the imports are.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:56 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I got a nice surprise actually two just in case some lowlife enters my casa.....the **** will suffer!
oh yeah, florida has the "castle doctrine" once someone enters your house (or car with you in it) you can use any and all means necessary to defend your life. in the hippie states if you shoot someone in your home and they don't have a gun then you'll get in trouble, not here if someone breaks in my house they'll get the nasty end of an AR15
Old 06-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I prefer a Remington 870 with slugs myself for the 1st shell. 2nd and 3rd shells are buckshot....just in case the 1st round didn't get the point across. I love the Castle Law.

putting your plates is kinda a challenge to certain people IMO. like that Lifeblock guy. He said he was owner/user of the service. Took less then 24 hours for some people to rip his life a new one using this SS#. Why not just be a little bit safer?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:06 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
I prefer a Remington 870 with slugs myself for the 1st shell. 2nd and 3rd shells are buckshot....just in case the 1st round didn't get the point across. I love the Castle Law.
ha ha, I'm saving for a Benelli M4 I work part time at a gun shop and we're working on getting their employee discount, that would save about 30%.

Originally Posted by Tylus
putting your plates is kinda a challenge to certain people IMO. like that Lifeblock guy. He said he was owner/user of the service. Took less then 24 hours for some people to rip his life a new one using this SS#. Why not just be a little bit safer?
lol, the article I saw said his identity was stolen 13 times ha ha. they tried to spin it and say the company fixed all the issues and he didn't have to pay back the money. he got owned when it turned out that he stole his own dad's info to get an Amex card back in the day, that's why he resigned as CEO.

I agree with what you've said. am I that worried about my tag being online, not really, there's nicer cars to steal am I going to blur it anyway since it takes about 5 seconds in photoshop and then I don't have to worry about it, yup.

Quick Reply: just don't get it!!