Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

just don't get it!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:48 PM
nola504boy
2nd Gear Member

Default just don't get it!!

why when posting pic/videos guys cover up there plates?whats the reason?
Old 05-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You can run a plate and get a lot of personal info. Address, other vehicles owned, name, birthdate, etc.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:15 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Also, some modifications many be illegal in certain states; such as a cai, an exhaust, tint or lowering springs. Even nitrous oxide isn't technically street legal. With background investigation units using internet areas like myspace and facebook, it would be likely that someone could try to use a forum area as well.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 PM
nola504boy
2nd Gear Member

ok i was just wondering because folks see your plates on the street everyday.thats why i was wondering why they were covering them up on the net.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nola504boy
why when posting pic/videos guys cover up there plates?whats the reason?
I've had 3 vehicles stolen from me in 8 years. I never showed my plates online and I don't go to local meets anymore, thieves suck.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:35 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I feel naked now.
Kinda Paranoid about being ripped off...
I wish this was brought up
in my 'welcome to the forum' eMail....
Old 06-01-2010, 12:27 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

if I've learned anything from getting ripped off it's that you can't worry about it, that's what insurance is for. not that it doesn't suck, but if you're going to be paranoid then don't mod your car. it's no fun if you're just going to be worried about it all the time.

my S2000 was stolen and I know people who still have them and they're so paranoid they barely drive them, they only park where they can see the car at all times, it's stupid. that's what insurance is for, just enjoy the car or don't get it in the first place.

kinda cool, progressive lets you add value to your car for a relatively small fee. you'll still have to prove where the value comes from but say you added a supercharger, you could get I'd say 80% of it covered if the car was stolen and stripped or totaled. the catch is they only pay you for parts that weren't there stock, like the supercharger, or the difference in price between what you took off and what you replaced it with. so if the stock wheels and tires are $1,500 from the dealer and you have $2,000 worth of wheels and tires on it now, they'll give you that $500 difference. with a supercharger kit since you take off and replace some factory parts like the intake manifold or in my case the throttle body, those are some of the parts that get offset like the example with the wheels/tires.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
You can run a plate and get a lot of personal info. Address, other vehicles owned, name, birthdate, etc.
How? I don't think this data is publicly available. If it was, every hot woman in the country would be at (even greater) risk.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
nola504boy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
How? I don't think this data is publicly available. If it was, every hot woman in the country would be at (even greater) risk.
I thought the samething
Old 06-01-2010, 05:31 PM
nite
3rd Gear Member

i've asked this question in the past; though i'm aware that info can be purchased from the dmv/rmv, as i used to do it for a living, the reason that most people censor their tags is really just due to a sense of paranoia about loosing some aspect of anonymity they enjoy while on the internet.

the fact is, thieves don't go out of their way to steal cars. they're not surfing the net looking for plates to run at the dmv, and then hunting people down to go their houses and steal their cars. that's the stuff of fiction. they're simply stealing what's available in their areas. even the professionals wouldn't bother taking that route, as they have much more efficient ways of finding the cars that they're looking for.

then there are those concerned about identity theft; you're about a million times more likely to have your identity stolen by using your cc to make a purchase (whether in a store, or online), than by someone running your tag. the fact is, dmv/rmv doesn't provide enough info for someone to steal identities (name, address and other registered vehicles, that's about it).

i've shown all my vehicle's tags online since about the time that folks started posting pics online, and some of those were very sweet rides, and i've had no negative repercussions, not even when i lived in ny and nj.

bottom line, until i hear about a "rash of thieves who are getting their intelligence from people's tags posted online", i'll always feel that the act of censoring tags from online photos is completely irrational, mostly due to folks being misinformed.

Last edited by nite; 06-01-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: just don't get it!!