Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

left wheel sticking out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:59 PM
stealth32
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation left wheel sticking out?

hey guys i noticed today that my left rear tire is out more than the right side rear tire. Is there something i can do to even them out? did i put them on wrong?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:42 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Adjustable panhard rod will pull that in.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Hysteric
1st Gear Member

Do you have a picture? Does it vibrate when you drive?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM
stealth32
2nd Gear Member

It does not vibrate when I drive these are my after market tires when the stocks go on they are even but once I put the other ones on only the left rear sticks out bout half an inch I just don't understand why the other sides fine and the other isn't
Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM
07Ebony

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Adjustable panhard rod will pull that in.
That's the trick.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:25 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You caused it when you lowered it. An adjustable panhard bar will fix it.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 AM
stealth32
2nd Gear Member

can someone send me a link to a good adjustable panhard bar. What do you mean by lower. With the stock tires on its sits lower than the aftermarket rims they sit higher.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:05 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

http://www.brenspeed.com/phr006.html
Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I should have a Steeda adjustable panhard bar available this weekend for sale. Let me know if you are interested as I could do $100 shipped. It was only on my car for about 5 months with ~2K miles... like new condition.

Here's a link to the part http://steeda.com/products/panhard_bar_brace.php
Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Mike Maples
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth32
can someone send me a link to a good adjustable panhard bar. What do you mean by lower. With the stock tires on its sits lower than the aftermarket rims they sit higher.
You might want to hold off on the panhard bar if I correctly understand what you are saying after reading all the posts so far...

It sounds like you have not lowered your car. If you have not lowered your car then you should not need an adjustable panhard bar.

If I understand correctly you say that with the stock wheels and tires the rear is centered (the wheels/tires appear to have the same distance from the fenders on each side) but when you install aftermarket wheels and tires you get a 1/2" difference on one side? If this is true then the problem is not the rear axle and a panhard bar will not correct the problem (and could make it worse).

I know it sounds like a pain but before you spend money on something you may not need...first reinstall the factory rear wheels/tires and measure from the same point on the sidewall of each tire to the fender on each side to be sure they are the same. If they are the same then proceed as described below. If they are not, then an adjustable panhard bar may be necessary.

Before you reinstall the aftermarket wheels and tires, check them to be sure they actually match. I once had a set of staggered wheels delivered and the two fronts were 1/2" different in width from each other. First check to be sure the tires are the the same size. Make sure the sidewall designation is exactly the same. I'm sorry if it sounds lame but sometimes mistakes are made during tire mounting and they can go unnoticed. Next, lay them face up on a flat surface and measure from the surface to the hub face to see that the offsets are the same. Also measure the wheel width to be sure they are the same. If all checks out then reinstall them and measure the same way you did the factory wheels/tires.

In theory, if the factory set-up measures as "good" and the aftermarket wheels/tires are a true match then it should be physically impossible to have one sticking out more than the other. I suspect you will find the problem somewhere during this process.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: left wheel sticking out?