Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Mustang Owner needs direction!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM
rookieassstangrookie

Ok, good info.

The JLT sounds like a good value, I was eyeballing the steeda high velocity cold air kit, http://www.steeda.com/PR/Products/555-3120/555-3120.htm, it claims 30 rw hp, but I am sure in practice it falls short, and the JLT is about 100 buck cheaper which I wont cry about.

I see, so you can get some power out of the exhaust system, but of course nothing from swapping out your mufflers. Makes sense.

I see how 4..1s could be annoying with a s/c on a stick. Is there a performance disadvantage to running through your gears quickly (in general of course) or is it simply annoying to shift all the time. I dont really have to worry about shifting I suppose.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Gotcha. Where I was going at is choose the gear to stick with. Just swapping gears around, even with FRPP gear set raises the chance of whine.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

From what I have gathered 4.10's are pretty good with a centri style super charger
but for twin screws most people thing 3.73's perform better for them.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by alkemist
Gotcha. Where I was going at is choose the gear to stick with. Just swapping gears around, even with FRPP gear set raises the chance of whine.

Well of course it raises the chance... because if you don't have gear whine on stock gears there is virtually 0 chance that you will get it because you arent changing anything.
But when you change gears then you therefore have a chance lol.

They key is just to find a place with experience doing gears in these cars.
Get them to tell you if you do get whine they will fix it for you no charge.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:27 PM
rookieassstangrookie

So after a fair amount of reading and digging, this is the upgrade list I came up with, ordered by hp/dollar spent. I know the CAI and UDP will eventually come off for the turbo(i think). Witht he exception of those 2 parts do you guys see any other conflicts, or anything im missing on my list?

tuner
cai
4.1 gears
intake manifold
Musclecar Idle
throttle body
power aid body spacer ? may not be needed with a new throttle body
udp
heads
Steeda Charge-Motion Control Plates
exhaust(long headers,x pipes,mufflers)
turbo
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Read what others have in their sigs. That will help you realize what's common and works. TBs arnt worth it from what I've read.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:06 PM
StuckInNYForever

Originally Posted by rookieassstangrookie

tuner
cai
4.1 gears
intake manifold
Musclecar Idle
throttle body
power aid body spacer ? may not be needed with a new throttle body
udp
heads
Steeda Charge-Motion Control Plates
exhaust(long headers,x pipes,mufflers)
turbo
If you are going turbo, all the rest may be pointless. Alone, that should max out your power quickly on the stock block. And your traction. Most good kits will come with the tuner and custom tune I believe. The only other mod you need may be drag radials. Feel free to disagree, but you will get 500rwhp (close to 600 at the crank) with this kit alone: http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/i...article&id=139
Old 09-08-2010, 07:08 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Move throttle body down to the bottom of the list. You can put it before the turbo IF you decided not to do the turbo, but you really won't need it until you're into some decent power.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Swap the tb with the exhaust setup and you have got yourself a great line-up!
Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:07 AM
rookieassstangrookie

Originally Posted by StuckInNYForever
If you are going turbo, all the rest may be pointless. Alone, that should max out your power quickly on the stock block. And your traction. Most good kits will come with the tuner and custom tune I believe. The only other mod you need may be drag radials. Feel free to disagree, but you will get 500rwhp (close to 600 at the crank) with this kit alone: http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/i...article&id=139

Thats true, I wasn't really thinking about maxing out the stock block, or taking it into account rather. That is a pretty nice kit, with a decent price. I am some what mechanically inclined, and will probably be doing a fair amount of the work with my dad. The instructions for the install dont look too bad, mostly bolt on, is it an install your average stang owner could probably handle? Tool wise the only thing I think we are missing is a lift, but I guess that isnt completely necessary, all be it nice.

Quick Reply: New Mustang Owner needs direction!!