Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A question about tunes and octane

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A few gallons of 87 mixed with 92 octane won't hurt anything. The PCM can adjust for minor octane deviations. But if you feel better, then run a tank of 92 before uploading the 92 tune. As mentioned above, you can run a higher octane than the tune calls for with ill-effect; you just won't get the perfromance of the higher octane.

Also, many people carry the tuner in their car. I've been on roadtrips on 2 occasions where I was in the middle of bumfuk and could only get 87 octane. I was back on the road in less than 4 minutes.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Nuke is righ on. I keep my tuner laying in the car behind the drivers seat. It is really fast to flash up a new tune.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:07 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm going to give the 92 tune a try in the next week or so.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Not to burst a bubble, but don't expect to see major differences going from the 87 custom tune to the 92 custom tune. Yes, there WILL be some changes but more likely the changes are in the CHARACTERISTICS of the tune (how it pulls in certain RPM ranges) than overall kick-in-the-pants changes. The most noticeable change is from the stock 87 to the custom 87. After that, the change from the custom 87 to any of the higher octane custom tunes is a bit less pronounced, but still an improvement.

I always recommend that folks get a good, spirited drive under their belt while stock and then start with the custom 87 tune and then work up from there. Otherwise, it's very difficult to distinguish the subtle (and not so subtle) differences.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:38 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by D'prived

As an alternative, you can drain the gas tank and fuel up fresh with all 93 octane. That way, you are guaranteed to not have any diluted fuel of two octane counts mixed together.
Oh yeah... that sounds easy enough!
ROFL! I never said it would be! But heck, it's the only sure way I know of to completely rid your tank of one octane fuel and fill it up with another octane fuel
Old 10-01-2010, 08:03 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
ROFL! I never said it would be! But heck, it's the only sure way I know of to completely rid your tank of one octane fuel and fill it up with another octane fuel
Oh... Oh... Oh... I gots me's a betta idears... You'se guys can had a separate gas tank for each octane and switch the entire tank when you switch octanes... Takes care of the mixing of octanes and is safer since you aint syphoning the gas out... Tastes bad... Don't ask me how i know...

Only problem is what about the fuel still left in the line from the tank to the fuel rail... I dunno. I give up...

You guys are good for a laugh anytime. Thanks... I hope I added to this discussion (with a little chuckle)...

Don
Old 10-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I never had to worry about this. My car has always been fed 93 octane from day one. I knew future mods would require it.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:22 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Just be aware that if you like to be a filling up with gas
and while you are a waiting for the nozzle to go a clicka,
and you havea your ignition on so that you can procede
to a change tunes, there is a key on gas fill mode a that
you DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO.
This can be avoided by putting on the parking brake and
the SJB will not go into whats called RECOVERY MODE.
(sorks bad for 50 mins or so)

The more you know.....
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Just be aware that if you like to be a filling up with gas
and while you are a waiting for the nozzle to go a clicka,
and you havea your ignition on so that you can procede
to a change tunes, there is a key on gas fill mode a that
you DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO.
This can be avoided by putting on the parking brake and
the SJB will not go into whats called RECOVERY MODE.
(sorks bad for 50 mins or so)

The more you know.....
....what?? Now I'm curious...can you elaborate, please? Not that I would ever try reloading the tune while filling up, but this has peeked my interest!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 AM

I have a question about the 92 octane we have here in Florida where I live. It all has 10% Ethanol in it. Will this cause problems or will it still work? Thanks

Quick Reply: A question about tunes and octane