Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Finally popped my track cherry

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 AM
DarthV8er

Ah, this makes me nervous for my first trip out to the track I'm hoping to run a 13.4, with CAI, 93 oct tune, x-pipes, and TB on my 07 GT manual. Do you think this would be a reasonable time to shoot for, after the first few practice runs in the high 14's undoubtedly before I get comfortable.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Most of the time its due to driver mod. U really have to get your timing down and a good launch. U can have all the mods u want and still suck and get ur *** handed to u by someone with less. Ive been to the track about 5 times and have seen plenty of autos take down a guy driving a manual. Its due to the driver missing gears and not power shifting. And to power shift u better hit those gears right on. My gf and i went to the mustang show in Myrtle Beach and one night we all went to the track and i saw shelby's getting whooped. But u could hear those guys grinding gears and missing gears as the engine RPM got very noticeable.

To the OP when u do get your FI setup. Leave the car out of OD and do NOT engage the car into OD at the end of the track b/c that will put lots of stress on the bottom end. Many racer such as brenspeed and so on leave the car out of OD the entire time and if u find urself needing to shift then u will need a gear swap
Old 10-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
To the OP when u do get your FI setup. Leave the car out of OD and do NOT engage the car into OD at the end of the track b/c that will put lots of stress on the bottom end. Many racer such as brenspeed and so on leave the car out of OD the entire time and if u find urself needing to shift then u will need a gear swap
You saying that I can't use OD anymore at WOT? One of the main reasons I'm going S/C is because of the auto trans tendency to just sit at ~110mph at WOT in overdrive, even with all the mods I have already...

I though the problem was just lack of power to overcome the auto's parasitic loss.

BTW, props to Brenspeed for the near instantaneous customer service. He did email me the very next day after I placed my order, but my stupid hotmail junk filter caught his email. It wasn't until today, that I was about to email them asking about the order when I noticed chandler's email among the usual viagara/meethotcollegegirlstonite/rolexreplicas junk.

4hrs after I replied, the package is on the way.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Lorenzo

Here is a video tutorial on how to power shift:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/twin...like_45714.htm

ROFL!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

I was really looking forward to seeing him break off the handle of his shifter or something... lol
Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the disease, it's quite addictive. Don't worry so much about your ET, so long as its consistent. Reaction time, consistent ET and a clean launch are much more important if you are going to compete. Have fun!

Last edited by mikemc04gt; 10-28-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Hey it turns out someone did take a video of me at that track event! Found this browsing youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8oKXeovn-s

That was the first run I mentioned. I did let go early at the end because I didn't know where the finish line was. Have yet to find a video of my second run.

I'm the guy on the right lane. Left lane was a 370z.

Wow! I can't believe my car sounds so damned good.
It sounded like the crowd liked it in the end. "DIABLO!" = "DAMN!"

Here are some more videos of the event. This was in the bracket racing part. My car was already parked by then.

Please forgive the ghetto announcer and any spanish profanities you might hear in the videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaowJZssmUU&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsB4egifAM&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_4P3OtHZ14&fmt=22
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
You saying that I can't use OD anymore at WOT? One of the main reasons I'm going S/C is because of the auto trans tendency to just sit at ~110mph at WOT in overdrive, even with all the mods I have already...

I though the problem was just lack of power to overcome the auto's parasitic loss.

I blew my motor with the Vortech last summer with the same stunt!

Be happy with the 110-120mph with the OD ON lulz

I got mine up to 135mph with the OD off (speed still climbing very quickly, ran out of gear) engaged the OD via button.. let off a little, then went WOT.. BOOM!

Nothing like blowing your motor at 140mph! Car must have lifted about an inch or so off the front end, then it felt like it was just floating.. got it back home and discovered a inch hole on the passanger side of the block.

I know it's annoying to be sitting at 3k @110-120 with a ton of gear left, but leave it alone or make more power rofl it's at that range for a reason...
Old 11-10-2010, 01:09 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Wow stealth that had to suck and at the OP when u are racing dont be afraid to ask chandler anything about racing your with a FI setup. They will tell u what u can and cant do. Now im not saying if u follow all there insights that ur engine wont blow but it is nice to have an idea of what u can do to make the bottom end last. I stress to all that run the track to inquire a speed shop on what to do such as brenspeed.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:45 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

Wow, that's pretty sweet that you have a video of your first run, and yes, your car does sound pretty dam good. I have a feeling you're already addicted. :^)

Quick Reply: Finally popped my track cherry