Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Suporting mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:29 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Your turbo vendor should provide all the advice you need. Otherwise find another vendor.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:18 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RAT281
at 450 you are right on the fence for needing a gt500 fuel pump. I would avoid a BAP at those levels. Personally I feel like its putting a bandaid over a potential issue

I love it when people say stuff like this.... If its calling it a 450 kit its what, 382 rwhp? I'm just maxing my GT pump out now (with a BaP.) I keep the bap at 80%, I'm making 536 RWHP....

As someone else said, just buy a complete kit. Unless your getting a good deal on some of the expensive parts, the tuner kits just make things more complicated. Get one that comes with the right sized injectors and whatever they recomend for fuel pump / controller. A 450 hp kit will probably have 39 /42# injectors and a BaP. Aside from that, start looking at clutchs. Your stock one may hold for a while, but eventualy its gonna start slipping a lot quicker then it was going to stock.

def need to upgrade MAF.
I dont know who you have been getting your info from, but apperantly you were sold up on much more expensive parts then you need. You didnt even ask the question, what size MAF is it going into. I'm still using a factory MAF but with the Steedas 90mm size its able to support it.
----------------------------------------------
EDIT:
op.... when considering a purchase of this size, consider reading the infromation on the vendors site... it took me 3 minutes to find this, if your considering this level of modification, you really need to start by doing better research:

http://on3performance.com/mustanggt3v.html
Additional parts to complete the install:
  • - 39# Ford Motorsport Take-out test injectors $169
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
So, to finish this kit, you need there Meter kit that also gets ou a mounting position for the factory MAF. You can use a boost a pump, not just MSD, the kenny bell units are very good. Also, 39# injectors are fine....

Last edited by JDWalton; 11-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:43 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
I love it when people say stuff like this.... If its calling it a 450 kit its what, 382 rwhp? I'm just maxing my GT pump out now (with a BaP.) I keep the bap at 80%, I'm making 536 RWHP....

As someone else said, just buy a complete kit. Unless your getting a good deal on some of the expensive parts, the tuner kits just make things more complicated. Get one that comes with the right sized injectors and whatever they recomend for fuel pump / controller. A 450 hp kit will probably have 39 /42# injectors and a BaP. Aside from that, start looking at clutchs. Your stock one may hold for a while, but eventualy its gonna start slipping a lot quicker then it was going to stock.

I dont know who you have been getting your info from, but apperantly you were sold up on much more expensive parts then you need. You didnt even ask the question, what size MAF is it going into. I'm still using a factory MAF but with the Steedas 90mm size its able to support it.
----------------------------------------------
EDIT:
op.... when considering a purchase of this size, consider reading the infromation on the vendors site... it took me 3 minutes to find this, if your considering this level of modification, you really need to start by doing better research:

http://on3performance.com/mustanggt3v.html
Additional parts to complete the install:
  • - 39# Ford Motorsport Take-out test injectors $169
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
So, to finish this kit, you need there Meter kit that also gets ou a mounting position for the factory MAF. You can use a boost a pump, not just MSD, the kenny bell units are very good. Also, 39# injectors are fine....
He is looking for 450 RWHP which would put him around 530. At that point why not just buy the gt500 fuel pump so you can up the boost later? I guess I am just a fan of playing on the safe side and leaving room to grow later on.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:03 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

He is looking for 450 RWHP which would put him around 530. At that point why not just buy the gt500 fuel pump so you can up the boost later? I guess I am just a fan of playing on the safe side and leaving room to grow later on.
Fair enough, that i missed he was going for 450 rwhp, thought he was going like what the vedor advertised the kit at, just over 400. But you seem to have missed my statement about my setup.

BAP @ 80%
536 RWHP
630 at the motor
Stock GT pump...

Even the vendor says to run a BAP. Cant recall the article but they were also talking about running your own power lead to the control module, and were dropping the stock pump duty cycle by like 10% which opens up a lot of head room as well. Having added a BAP I can see what they were talking about, I mean just look at the diff in gauge of wire between the stock and the bap.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

I am planning on oredering the on3 kit and upgrading. . .

1. MP T70 turbo

2. The 39lb injectors

3. the on3 MAF

I don't like the idea of the BAP since that really won't get me any room to grow later so I believe I am just going to order the GT500 dual pump kit. Then i will order a set of these
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...8/p/M124053V0/

I think that should about do it, right? I would be able to run this setup at about 425-450rwhp and not worry about the motor letting go correct? THis car is more of a cruiser with very little track time(since the closest track is about 3hrs away).

I just added all this up and it comes to about $3500. I know that I will still have to add for a tuner and dyno time but this seems to be pretty reasonable for a FI setup.

Last edited by Fuel; 11-21-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

Just out of curiosty, who does your tuning? Is it chris at efi logics? Obviously I don't need to tell you but those are very impressive numbers for a stock bottom end. How long have you been runnning the 3.2" pulley? (sorry for the highjack)
Old 11-21-2010, 01:31 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I'm going to assume your talking to me cause EFI is in CT?

Mail order brenspeed tune (ran 11.6-11.8 A/F on the dyno)

Running the 3.4 pulley not the 3.2... Still have tons of room to grow ;-)

Been running the car as it sits now for the last year. Been running on the BAP with the supercharger for the last 2 years.

Yes, those numbers are crazy good for the stock bottom end. Did not expect it when I went on the dyno. Now to go anything more then what I got now gonna go with a 5.0 forged rotating assembly, 60# injectors, and a gt500 fuel pump system. But for now its been running great like this. When I do all that though will aslo be droping in the 2.75 pulley and trying to pull 15psi out of it.

The shop I did the dyno at was Swift Performance in Norwhich. It was the pulls only though, like I said the tune was by Brenspeed.

----------------------
To the opp, that looks all right, how much boost do you plan on running? I mean it looks like they made 380somethign with that kit according to the dyno sheet and like you said you will need to add tuning and ar upgrading the turbo and everything... Have you considered the other kits yoru now close to in price? Like the Vortech from brenspeed or the Roush twin screw kit?

With the turbo upgrade and the gt500 pumps and such, looks decent, never heard of that shop persoanly though, so I would jsut try to do some reasearch and see what people say about there kit, like fitment and such. If it all checks out, dont see why not do what your saying.

Last edited by JDWalton; 11-21-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

what injectors are u using JD
Old 11-21-2010, 01:48 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

39, but I will say I'm near the top end of what my entire fuel system can keep up with. Although I'm looking at thousands worth of upgrades to go anymore then where I'm at anyway.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:58 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Just as an FYI, the GT500 pump install took me about 1.5 hours. I know it's dependent upon who is doing it and the tools available, but I just thought I'd throw that out there so you aren't scared off by a 4 hour install or anything.

Quick Reply: Suporting mods