Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New to forum. supercharger questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Since you said you'd be ***ked if the car blew up, I would recommend the Roush M90. That will only put down about 380ish rwhp (430 crank), and is probably the safest blower setup in terms of power. They are also on sale right now for obscenely cheap for the 05-09 models ($3500-3900). Don't wait on that though, as I suspect that sale is about over. If the 2010 kit was that price, I'd have bought one 6 weeks ago.

The Whipple is an awesome kit, but the HO will run you about $6400. I don't know if you can install it yourself, but assume about $1000 for install on average give or take. The Saleen is also a nice blower and slightly more economical than the Whipple. I feel the Whipple is a better design overall in terms of installation process, but theres nothing wrong with the Saleen at all. You can probably get away with no gauges on the Roush, but these other 2 put down enough power to grenade the stock motor, so I'd plan on a boost gauge, fuel pressure, and wideband O2. Figure about $750 for gauges and a pod, and thats if you self-install. You will also need suspension mods and tires for sure, etc, on the Whipple and Saleen. Thats just too much power for the stock setup to hold down. The Roush will be borderline but ok on stock equipment. I think most people with Whipple or Saleen setups that have done gauges, and supporting suspension and tire mods have probably parted with at least $8500-9000, and thats for a car not as robust as a GT500. At those price levels, for myself personally, I have to pause and ask why I wouldn't just buy a used GT500.

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-07-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

If you're concerned about blowing up the motor, I say go ahead and go forged before even going blown.

Best insurance, because then, you can up the boost until you have to worry about blowing the trans.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:52 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Mtc9yo0Iw

M90 action
Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Redfire07russell

stealth_GT that video post is badass! which that was the way american highways worked. going to slow get out of the way.

Realistically how much would a built motor run? I honestly think that could be getting to be a little too much coin.

I was thinking of saving for a gt500 but I think building my own mustang will be more fun and I think I can do it a little cheaper.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redfire07russell
stealth_GT that video post is badass! which that was the way american highways worked. going to slow get out of the way.

Realistically how much would a built motor run? I honestly think that could be getting to be a little too much coin.

I was thinking of saving for a gt500 but I think building my own mustang will be more fun and I think I can do it a little cheaper.
lol pretty cool, eh?

found it on youtube. It's making about 420-430whp depending on the mods/dyno tune. I really like the whine of that blower, though you can see it running out of steam up top judging by the decrease in tone of the blower.

A built motor, installed, can run between $6k-$10k depending on your application. If you do all work yourself, it'll be half of that, say- $5,000 or even less...

If you don't ever plan on going past 420whp, I don't see a need for a built motor but it's great insurance.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Best money i ever put into the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RodYpKANzY

i love it, plan to do one of the smaller pully's from JDM or one of the other places at some point. Runs like crazy in the cool weather. The sounds on that vid above is probably off thanks to the camera mic. The blower sound much deeper in my vid than it actually is. As for the change in tone, he was hitting fifth after running out of fourth. that speedo was in kph, but he was going in the area of 140 there. moving from fourth to fifth at that speed. Kit and install had me at about $5k OTD with my full warranty intact.

Last edited by ShaneM; 12-07-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Redfire07russell

ShaneM

car sounds great. 5k also sounds very good. what size tire are you running. Im thinking in going to pick up gt500 wheels and put a 295 on them. do you have any exterior pics of your car?

I drove a 2011 5.0 recently in the grabber blue such a nice color bud.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i have a few pics lol... these guys have seen them a bazillion times... He asked though and who am i to deny the grabber blue awesomeness lol

I just picked up my painted mishimoto rad cover today and put the ting on, i need to shoot some pics of it. i also had those black battery and master cyl covers painted GB, but since they rub i am going to have them covered in the clear bra material before i reinstall them. I am also going to get the rad cover striped like the outside of the car.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

when is the power delivered with the m90. is it on tap as soon as u get on it or above a certain RPM
Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The car looks badass Shane, one of my favorites on here hands down. Shes just gorgeous. Each time I watch your video, you get me one step closer to going with that kit in a couple months... the 2010 kit is $4299 and supposedly easier to install than previous years. It drives a hard bargain on price.

Quick Reply: New to forum. supercharger questions.