Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New to forum. supercharger questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Redfire07russell

Default New to forum. supercharger questions.

Hi my name is Russell about 8 months ago I purchased a 2007 mustang gt in redfire its a manual. Ive been doing a ton of reading up on superchargers and I have been to a few local mustang meets (In the Tampa Area). I have done very basic mods so far, Intake and a sct tune. and I just recently installed a gt500 spoiler. I drove a gt500 about a year before I got my gt and That is really when I fell in love with mustangs (and twin screw superchargers). Im wondering honestly from some of your guys that are running kenne bells or whipples what kind of cost a setup would be to get me to run alongside a gt500. I know I want a twin screw and just need some basic help with how much a total done deal kit will cost installed. Thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Redfire07russell

sorry also wanted to mention my car has 40,000 miles Im not sure if that's safe to supercharge.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Well I just had my saleen installed which is a twin screw. I had the intentions of buying my kit in the spring b/c its winter now and indiana does get snow. But yes there is always a but. Brenspeed which is from indiana had some black friday deals that i could not pass up. I got the 475 hp kit for 5100 when regulary its 5800 plus it came with saleen gauge pod and boost gauge and a temp gauge for free. I think if u bought them now its around 299.00. Plus they are having a special going on in the month of december for 200 dollar installs on blowers. That is normally 650 for an install which is about what a normal shop charges.

So i think its around 6750 (my price 5300) without taxes for normal prices and this does not include what u will need as far as tires and lower control arms (180) for better traction. Plus Im still going to get an af gauge from cobalt and boost. thats 500 dollars. u can expect to pay atleast another 1000 for tires. Plus u will need an oil seperator which runs 100 dollars.

So for a good start twin screw (saleen) 5800, install (650), gauges (500), tires (1000), control arms (180), oil seperator (100), custom tune on dyno (250). Total 8480 without taxes. This does not include the oh **** my block just went and if that happens im guessing 5000 but i dont really know. Keep in mind u can get the supercharger and then add supporting mods as u go.

If u move forward get the custom dyno tune for sure and gauges to monitor.

I think ur mileage is fine it really comes down to a good tune. Find a shop that is REPUTABLE
Old 12-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Redfire07russell

Thanks for the info. What kind of numbers did you dyno at with that kit? And so im just confirming your saying the only needed supporting mods right away are the tune (kind of obvious) and the gauges? or would it make more sense to do everything at once.

The engine going is kind of my big fear. I mean this is my daily driver so I would be ****ed if my engine went.

just out of curiosity outceltj why did you go with saleen?

and thanks for your info I appreciate it
Old 12-07-2010, 11:12 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Pushing the stock block past 450 hp is potentially dangerous. If you were to grenade your motor can you afford a new one? That is what you honestly have to ask yourself. That is part of the cost of going FI. The roush m90 is prolly one of the safest blowers out there, but it has an upper hp limit of 500. They are on sale right now for $3899.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the M90 is a great SC for the money.
KB and Whipple are going to cost some $$$.
650 for an install is about the best you will find. i paid over double that for install plus gauges. it just depends where you go.
a stronger clutch is good upgrade too.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Redfire07russell

the roush does sound pretty tempting at that price. And you say its considered to be pretty safe? how often is it that someone puts a supercharger on their mustang and a safe tune and it pops?

how much have members will the m90 roush spent on their setups?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:47 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redfire07russell
Thanks for the info. What kind of numbers did you dyno at with that kit? And so im just confirming your saying the only needed supporting mods right away are the tune (kind of obvious) and the gauges? or would it make more sense to do everything at once.

The engine going is kind of my big fear. I mean this is my daily driver so I would be ****ed if my engine went.

just out of curiosity outceltj why did you go with saleen?

and thanks for your info I appreciate it
I know ur kind of new to the scene but brenspeed has one of the best reputations as far as performance is concerned. The blowers and parts they have they use for racing. So they have first hand experience. That is one of the reasons why i went with a saleen. Brenspeed stands behind them and there work. Plus I like the clean look of a saleen after its been installed. So I guess that is the why.

and if u have the money to do everything then by all means get it done.

My hp is 438 and the torque is 406

here are some pics of the saleen installed and a dyno sheet

http://img820.imageshack.us/i/010qt.jpg/
http://img820.imageshack.us/i/011ld0.jpg/

So its always been my understanding like 808 said keep ur hp goals on stock block 450 or lower and really a custom dyno tune would be good if u had cams so u can get it right. If the supercharger is the only thing ur gonna do then an email tune from brenspeed would be good. Best advice is just take care of her. Routine maitenance and taking care of problems right away. Do not let them fester with a supercharger.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:56 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
the M90 is a great SC for the money.
KB and Whipple are going to cost some $$$.
650 for an install is about the best you will find. i paid over double that for install plus gauges. it just depends where you go.
a stronger clutch is good upgrade too.
wow they charged u 1300 just for the install. that is alot but i guess it does very from place to place. It took brenspeeds mechanic about 6 hours so thats 100 dollars an hour which seems fair to me. how long did the mechanic take to install yours if u dont mind me asking

Last edited by outceltj; 12-07-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:03 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

The Kenne Bell 9 psi intercooled kit cost $5800 plus installation if you don't install it yourself. I comes with everything you need except spark plugs. Dyno's out around 450-480 rwhp.

Interesting Kenne Bell reading here

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Commo...gtTechTips.pdf

Not sure how close you are to Boco Raton, but Blow By Racing is a distributor or you can by direct from Kenne Bell

Most of the guys at the track run a upgraded clutch and control arms with drag radials

Quick Reply: New to forum. supercharger questions.