Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

surging after custom tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

My car does the SAME damn thing.
But mine was fixed UNTIL I put a new clutch with a light weight flywheel in it.
Now its back.
Same issue. Only in neutral.
Does it a few times then settles.

I'm driving 300 damn miles back to the tuner right after Christmas to have them
datalog it and make the adjustment.
So Simon should I mention this idea of the dashpot to them?
I had talked to them about it being an issue of a different load on the engine
after the 1/2 weight flywheel put in.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
My car does the SAME damn thing.
But mine was fixed UNTIL I put a new clutch with a light weight flywheel in it.
Now its back.
Same issue. Only in neutral.
Does it a few times then settles.

I'm driving 300 damn miles back to the tuner right after Christmas to have them
datalog it and make the adjustment.
So Simon should I mention this idea of the dashpot to them?
I had talked to them about it being an issue of a different load on the engine
after the 1/2 weight flywheel put in.
I would only be really concerned if it was very erratic at idle and caused a drivability issue.

Some idle flucuation may be expected with an aftermarket cam. I'm not experienced at all with the custom cams and tuning so IDK.

You could ask them what the dashpot controls to see if they even know they exist.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 AM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

Update to my update. The car is running fine now. After receiving the new tune, added it to the car again. This time, I added it, disconntected the battery and allowed the idle trim to be relearned by the computer. So far so good.

Anybody know of a place in the Fayetteville, NC area that does a good job with gears?
Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Dashpot controls decel, however there's also spark for decel which is very important, and if that is wrong, all the dashpot in the world won't stop it from surging on coast down. Also, the idle ISC tables which are the idle air requirements have to be dialed in, or again, all the dashpot in the world wont solve it.

In Blacksmokes case, he's got plenty of dashpot and spark for decel, his problem is that his car is requiring alot more idle air than most due. This could be due to a dirty throttle body. Luckily, these are learned values, and just need to be dialed in as close as possible, and will learn to 0 from there.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Dashpot controls decel, however there's also spark for decel which is very important, and if that is wrong, all the dashpot in the world won't stop it from surging on coast down. Also, the idle ISC tables which are the idle air requirements have to be dialed in, or again, all the dashpot in the world wont solve it.

In Blacksmokes case, he's got plenty of dashpot and spark for decel, his problem is that his car is requiring alot more idle air than most due. This could be due to a dirty throttle body. Luckily, these are learned values, and just need to be dialed in as close as possible, and will learn to 0 from there.
Thanks for explaining Chris. It's nice to have someone here to help us understand some of these things that are strange to us.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Not a problem at all. If you have any questions ever, I'm here!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Rmpenton

I know it is an old post but I have the same problems with surging when it comes back to an idle. I called bama and they said to check for air leaks. I did that. No leaks. They checked the tune and said it was good. But it is still doing it. Did anyone ever get the problem fixed or did they just give up. I returned the car to stock and reinstalled the stock airbox and the problem went away. Could it be the jlt series 3 cai or the tune. It is a 2005 mustang gt. This is the first thing that I ordered from am/bama. I really didnt like that the first thing that was thought was installer error. From reading on sites like this many people had this problem but no one has ever said what fixed it. Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
darkhorse_07

Originally Posted by Rmpenton
I know it is an old post but I have the same problems with surging when it comes back to an idle. I called bama and they said to check for air leaks. I did that. No leaks. They checked the tune and said it was good. But it is still doing it. Did anyone ever get the problem fixed or did they just give up. I returned the car to stock and reinstalled the stock airbox and the problem went away. Could it be the jlt series 3 cai or the tune. It is a 2005 mustang gt. This is the first thing that I ordered from am/bama. I really didnt like that the first thing that was thought was installer error. From reading on sites like this many people had this problem but no one has ever said what fixed it. Thanks
Rmpenton - I think Rangerheave answered it by reloading the tune, then disconnecting the battery. If you try that, let us know if it works, I'm sure there are other out there with the same problem.