Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Keys and PATS...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Roar

Default Keys and PATS...

Hi, New guy here from Norway!!

I have an '06 GT which is donating its complete chassis, drivetrain and electronics into an '68 HT.

Problem is: I bought the '06 as a salvage vehicle in Salt Lake City (light damage to hood, fender and windshield). The car came with only one key and one remote. I want to have a second set of key and remote.
From what I have searched on this forum I can buy a remote on Ebay and program it myself? I can also buy the key and hopefully a locksmith can copy from my original key, but I am not able to program it because I need two keys to program a spare??

Unfortunately it is not as easy as going to the dealer over here because there are no US Ford dealers - only the European crap.

I do have HPTuners, but have not used it on any Ford engines yet, just Chevy stuff. Can I use HPTuners to turn off the PATS so the car will start with an unprogrammed key?

I appreciate any info on this !
Thanks!!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Roar

Sorry, just realized I posten in the wrong section....
Can a moderatore please move this ? Thanks!
Old 12-18-2010, 01:32 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I can probaly help you later tomorow night when I have access to the programming procedures. Its not that difficult, just a specific combination of "key on" cycles and such.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roar
Can I use HPTuners to turn off the PATS so the car will start with an unprogrammed key?
Roar, I'm pretty sure you will be able to. I've seen the PATS disable in my SCT
Pro Racer software and would imagine that HPTuners has that ability also. good luck and let us know how this turns out.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Roar

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I can probaly help you later tomorow night when I have access to the programming procedures. Its not that difficult, just a specific combination of "key on" cycles and such.
I have found a procedure for this, but it involves two working keys to program a third...

"hammeron" - I am guessing it will have this feature but was hoping that someone knew for sure.

It will take some time before I am able to test this because I am still in the process of fusing the S197 chassis to the '68 body and it is a LOT of work...
Old 12-18-2010, 03:35 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yes, two working keys to program a third.
THIS will tell you all you need to know about the PATS system.
Ford disables it for their 4.6L and 5.0L crate motors.
Maybe get one of the controllers for those engines
that has PATS disabled.
They are a grand but thats the only way to do it.

Key Programming — Additional Key With One Programmed Key
NOTE: This procedure is used when a customer needs to have an additional key programmed into the vehicle without erasing stored key codes, but does not have 2 programmed keys available. This procedure is also useful when attempting to determine if an ignition key is defective, as a new key can be installed without erasing keys or without having 2 programmed keys available.
the only way to program another key with just 1 key is by plugging it in to the Worldwide Diagnostic System computer and reprogramming, this way it will not erase the code to your hidden key.

Key Programming — Program a Key Using Two Programmed Keys
if you have to programmed keys available then you can program additional keys without taking it to the dealer.
NOTE: This procedure works only if 2 or more programmed ignition keys are available and additional programmed key(s) are desired.

if you can find your hidden key you can program additional keys yourself and save about $110.00 for programming which is what our service department charges.

Insert a programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (maintain the ignition switch in the RUN position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds).
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the OFF position, insert a second programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (maintain the ignition switch in the RUN position for 3 seconds, but not longer than 10 seconds).
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the second key from the ignition lock cylinder.
Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition switch to the OFF position, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position (attempt to start the vehicle).
If additional programmed key(s) are desired, repeat the key programming procedure.

Remote programming is similar but you only need one key to program up to 4 remotes.

2005 OWNERS MANUAL

Page 70 - Locks and Security
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
pats_job_aid.pdf (1.49 MB, 157 views)

Last edited by 157dB; 12-18-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:47 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

^^ ditto, thats what I was gonna post up

And I thought all that stuff I learned about Keys/pats would have no real world value!

buah! lulz
Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Roar

Thanks guys.
I do not have the instruction manual for the car so that link was perfect!

I am guessing that this will not be my last question on this project beacuse I am going to include evenry system (except the rear window heater) into the '68....
Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Well, you came to the right place...
Ask away...