Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Foglight HID's

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
... Its a personal thing i guess
Actually, it's more related to functionality, IMO. The higher you go in degrees K, the less useable light. Fog lights are designed to aid during conditions of low visibility in dark conditions (snow, rain, fog...). The lower temps provide added contrast which aid in being able to define the edges of the roads, dividing lines, etc under those poor conditions. If you've ever driven in conditions where you found yourself in the oncoming lane and had no idea that you were there you'd understand.

I make this analogy: fog lights that look good and match your headlights are fashionable but not functional, much like a woman in a pair of stiletto heels; she may look damn good in them and drive you insane when you have her bent over and are hammering her from behind but she can't walk for chit in them in the least bit of snow.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM
ptcomp

Originally Posted by Nuke
Actually, it's more related to functionality, IMO. The higher you go in degrees K, the less useable light. Fog lights are designed to aid during conditions of low visibility in dark conditions (snow, rain, fog...). The lower temps provide added contrast which aid in being able to define the edges of the roads, dividing lines, etc under those poor conditions. If you've ever driven in conditions where you found yourself in the oncoming lane and had no idea that you were there you'd understand.

I make this analogy: fog lights that look good and match your headlights are fashionable but not functional, much like a woman in a pair of stiletto heels; she may look damn good in them and drive you insane when you have her bent over and are hammering her from behind but she can't walk for chit in them in the least bit of snow.
LMFAO!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i disagree a lot with your fog light opinion. if you live in an area that is more rural where you drive where there are lots of animals that happen out in the road and there are no lights other than yours around fogs are most certainly functional if there is no fog. they make it much easier for me to see anyway. fog hater
Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Contact Todd at Retro-Solutions and see if he can perform the bulb capping service for a fee... If not, maybe he can sell you a set of just the bulbs that are capped and see if those help.

Don
Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i disagree a lot with your fog light opinion. if you live in an area that is more rural where you drive where there are lots of animals that happen out in the road and there are no lights other than yours around fogs are most certainly functional if there is no fog. they make it much easier for me to see anyway. fog hater
I won't argue the use of fogs out in da' boonies but those that run with them on using 6000K or higher and higher-than-normal wattage on crowded streets are simply asking for a meeting of their fogs with a baseball bat.

I'm actually a fog lover when used correctly (like the woman in stilettos bent over) as opposed to incorrectly (the same woman in stilettos in a snow storm).
Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Vscout

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Contact Todd at Retro-Solutions and see if he can perform the bulb capping service for a fee... If not, maybe he can sell you a set of just the bulbs that are capped and see if those help.

Don
Thanks. I will contact him and see what he can do for me. I like how with the fogs on I get a little more light output, but I don't want to be rude to other drivers. Hopefully the combination of capping and covers will do the trick.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Vscout

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
I got stock lights and fogs and i get flashed all the time. Who careessssssssssss. Dude if you like them and they do the job, ride it out. My brother has 6k and personally i didnt like them cause they were too blueish. Its a personal thing i guess
I think 6k looks nice. 8k is way to blue but 5k is a little too white/yellowish. I'm not trying to look rice so I think 6k is a good medium. A little bluish but I think with my all black car it looks nice.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Vscout

I won't argue the use of fogs out in da' boonies but those that run with them on using 6000K or higher and higher-than-normal wattage on crowded streets are simply asking for a meeting of their fogs with a baseball bat.

I'm actually a fog lover when used correctly (like the woman in stilettos bent over) as opposed to incorrectly (the same woman in stilettos in a snow storm).
What do you have against 6k? They don't even throw out as much usable light as 5k so if anything, 6k would be a little better. And I do use fogs correctly since my headlights are 6k and don't light up the road as much. With headlights and foglights, it's perfect.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vscout
What do you have against 6k? They don't even throw out as much usable light as 5k so if anything, 6k would be a little better. And I do use fogs correctly since my headlights are 6k and don't light up the road as much. With headlights and foglights, it's perfect.
Around 5000k you're just getting out of the pure white and entering those frequencies that include blue tones. As the driver of the car, I'm sure it appeals to you. But as you pass the 5000K point, the light to the on-looker becomes irritating. The "warmer" colors of the more typical OE lamps which are in the 3500k range invoke less eye strain to on-coming traffic. People that flash you are doing so not just because of intensity (although the useable light output drops as you go cooler with the 'higher' K-values) but also because of the irritation from the appearance. Fog lights were never meant to "match" headlights. Again, function over fashion; stilettos for the bedroom and boots for the rugged outdoors. At least my g/f gets it...
Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Get these.
They have the housings as well as the bulbs
and the housings/reflectors actually match the bulbs that are included.
Originally Posted by ShaneM
i have HIDs in my fogs, they are lower wattage than the factory bulbs at 35W.
You cannot compare incadescent filiment bulb wattage to HID wattage.
Its LUMENS that you want to compare when talking about actual light output.
HIDs are more efficent that incandescent bulbs. It takes less watts with a
HID bulb/ballasts to produce the same lumens as an incandescent bulb.

Last edited by 157dB; 04-09-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Foglight HID's