Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Battery Issue / Help :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on Interstate batteries.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 AM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

What part of Canada are you from? I live in Alberta but I store my GT in the winter. If your using it in the winter and it's outside during the night, check how many "Cold Cranking Amps" it provides. The more the better. All my vehicles have batteries with high CCA's. since it has gotten down to the -35 to -40 C range, we have needed it.

Crappy Tire tests batteries for free.

Dealerships = Stealerships... remember that.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ResQman
What part of Canada are you from? I live in Alberta but I store my GT in the winter. If your using it in the winter and it's outside during the night, check how many "Cold Cranking Amps" it provides. The more the better. All my vehicles have batteries with high CCA's. since it has gotten down to the -35 to -40 C range, we have needed it.

Crappy Tire tests batteries for free.

Dealerships = Stealerships... remember that.
im going to Canadian tire this morning to buy a new battery from the local canadian tire. i was living in Toronto but now got posted to the capital Ottawa. It get just as cold here. i am assuming youre in calgary or edmonton
Old 04-06-2011, 02:18 PM
mustangted
1st Gear Member

napa legend
Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 PM
dbwheelsjd
1st Gear Member

anyone have experience with Optima??

the only thing i've found is clearance issues. Below is the one that Optima claims fits a 2007 GT. comparing to the "suggested" interstate its about 1.5" taller than the interstate.

Part Number: 35 (8020-164)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 35; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;
Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 PM
MustangMan1718
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dbwheelsjd
anyone have experience with Optima??

the only thing i've found is clearance issues. Below is the one that Optima claims fits a 2007 GT. comparing to the "suggested" interstate its about 1.5" taller than the interstate.

Part Number: 35 (8020-164)
RedTop®; Battery; UNBOXED; Group 35; Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;
Other batteries can fit. I just suggested it to help possibly avoid headaches of getting the bracket to fit back properly or having clearance issues as you've said.

One thing to make sure of is that the terminals do not touch your hood when it is closed. I know that's happened to other people I work with. It sucks to get everything all finished up and then realize that the battery doesn't fit because the hood won't close. I think that was on a newer Toyota Celica where it doesn't have any room under the hood anyway.

And as for what I said about the bracket in the beginning, I'm assuming it won't fit with a taller battery. If it does, it would be pretty flimsy. There are probably other ways to secure it, but I haven't done anything like that. If it is really that bad and you are set on using that same battery there is always the option of modifying it to fit in your trunk like racecars have. I've never done anything like that personally, but it is still an option nonetheless.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
im going to Canadian tire this morning to buy a new battery from the local canadian tire. i was living in Toronto but now got posted to the capital Ottawa. It get just as cold here. i am assuming youre in calgary or edmonton
Yes, Calgary. They sell some pretty good batteries and their warranty is good too.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

Here is what i did, my battery died at almost 3 years to the date, Ford batteries suck big hairy ballz, if you take it to the Stealership they will blame everything else except that its a Mustang issue which we all know its a Mustang issue. What I did was I went to my local Costco and bought a Optima Red Top, if the battery drains again which I know it will I can just take it back to Costco and get a new one with no issues and it fits.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:54 PM
dbwheelsjd
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=Javdog;7498490]Here is what i did, my battery died at almost 3 years to the date, Ford batteries suck big hairy ballz, if you take it to the Stealership they will blame everything else except that its a Mustang issue which we all know its a Mustang issue. What I did was I went to my local Costco and bought a Optima Red Top, if the battery drains again which I know it will I can just take it back to Costco and get a new one with no issues and it fits.

What size is your battery? sams & costco have 2 different sizes, wondering which one to go with.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=dbwheelsjd;7498602]
Originally Posted by Javdog
Here is what i did, my battery died at almost 3 years to the date, Ford batteries suck big hairy ballz, if you take it to the Stealership they will blame everything else except that its a Mustang issue which we all know its a Mustang issue. What I did was I went to my local Costco and bought a Optima Red Top, if the battery drains again which I know it will I can just take it back to Costco and get a new one with no issues and it fits.

What size is your battery? sams & costco have 2 different sizes, wondering which one to go with.
I'll check in the morning and i'll post the size.....

Quick Reply: Battery Issue / Help :(